3 Mo Old Can't Breath Through Nose at Night.

My three month old son has been stuffed up since birth. He was diagnosed with reflux when he lost his voice at 1 1/2 mo old. He was placed on Zantac and Reglan. His breathing is better during the day now and he has his voice back. I keep him upright most of the day. At night he sleeps in his bouncy seat to stay upright, and I keep a steam vaporizor next to his crib. By a few hours into the night, he sounds so stuffed up, that he often becomes agitated. I can't suction anything out, and saline drops don't work. It is all in his sinus area. I would love for him to be able to sleep lying down and be able to breath with out sounding like he is suffocating. Three and a half months has been long enough for him to deal with this. Thanks for any advise.

Have you seen an allergy and immune specialist. Doctor Onders and Stauder are awesome. Maybe there is something they can do to help. They are located off of Ballas. Here is there number ###-###-####. They also have an office in O'Fallon

Have you tried a little "Vicks" ? Mix a little (1 part to 1 part)with Vaseline.(So it is not so strong for such a young child) Smear just a little of it on the end of his nose (or just under his nose) before you put him down at night.
It's a very old fashioned thing, but tried and true for a stuffy nose.

I had this problem and my pediatrician put my daughter on soy milk. I know there's some controversy about soy and little ones but I know it cleared her up right away. It was such a relief to know she was sleeping and breathing better. She's turning 8 and has actually just now been able to drink regular milk.

My son had reflux two months after birth. Needless to say we had a tough year. He didn't have to the point of losing his voice though. We tried everything to elevate him. We tried elevating parts of the basenett. It worked for a while, but as he grew we had another obstical to overcome. When we tried elevating the matress of the crib, he was still so small he would just slip down to the bottom. We tried his swing, but you can only be comfortable for so long in that. Finally, I said let's put him in his punkin seat while in the stroller. To my surprise it worked! It was the perfect elevation for him. He slept like that from 3 months to 7 months without any problems. As for the steam vaporizor, we used a warm air humidufier. It worked great. The warm air helped with his congestion. We use it today for when he gets a cold and it still works. Can you believe he sleeps though the night soundly with a terrible cold! The trick is to keep the room moist. So start the humidifier well before it's his bedtime and keep the door closed. My son slept with us in our room in the punkin seat / stroller so our room was humid alot but is was woth it because he was slepping well and so were we. My son is now 14 months and his reflux is gone. The good news is they grow out of it. This depends on the child as to when. My pediatrition told me it can take up to three years. We were seeing a GI specialist as well and he was great. My son was on Prevacid dissovable tablets and that worked great for him. We tried Zantac, but ti didn't work. Some advice I would like to share with you that the GI specialist said to my husband and I is, If your child is not symptom free on the medication he is on, then we need to try something else. the key is to controling the symptoms until the reflux stops. If you haven't seen a GI specialist do so. Your son may have other issues with his GI tract other than reflux. Sometimes when reflux is present, something else may be the cause of the reflux. Meaning the reflux is the rusult of another underlying cause. I hope I have been of some help to you. Good luck to you and your family. I know how difficult it can be when you have a reflux baby. I had it myself for two years and it was the worst experience. I knew what my baby was going through. Your little girl is in my prayers.

Best of luck,
A. H.

Have you been to the nose, ears and throat Dr.? My sone had the same problem of not breathing through his nose... He had inflamed adnoids... Hope this helps and good luck

instead of the steam vaporizer, try the cool mist humidifier. See if that helps.

I would go see a pediatric ENT. He sounds like my nephew. He was three months old when they diagnosed him with a sinus infection that he'd had for about a month and a half. Once he was on the correct medication he was fine and was sleeping fine at night afterwards. He also couldn't sleep at night flat and slept really well when someone was holding him upright on their chest. His breathing always seemed labored. But like I said, it was a sinus infection. Good luck and God Bless.

My son was constantly conjested and suffered from chronic ear infections. He would be totally fine during the day and than once evening hit he would start crying. He slept in the swing for almost four months until we had tubes put in as all the antibiotics did not work. However for babies with reflux having them sleep in a sitting/reclined position actually puts pressure on their little bellies that can make them even more uncomfortable. There is a harness (I think it is a Tracy harness) that you can use to help hold the baby on an elevated mattress that reclines enough to alleviate the reflux but not so much that causes pressure. Take care.

My 3 month has reflux as well, she was diagnosed at 5 days. She's never spit up-only regurgitates and has acid reflux. If I put her in the bouncy or swing she gets congested. my Dr said those are the two worst positions to put a reflux baby in. She sleeps on my chest and I sleep sitting up. This is the only way to keep her from becoming congested and coughing. Also, the specialist said only to lay her on an elevated surfacce-tummy down. I bought a wedge pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond so when I do have to lay her down she is elevated about 10 inches (they recommend 16 "). The sitting position puts pressure on their tummies and forces the acid up. It took several days of doing this for the congestion to go away. She also has to take prevacid twice a day. My Dr's were against reglan because it can impair brain developement. Hope this helps!

1 / 3