3 1/2 Month Old Squirm During Sleep

I have a 3 1/2 month old baby boy, who sleeps well until about 5:00 am. He will fall asleep on his own in his crib (as long as he is swaddled in his Miracle Blanket) at about 8:30pm and will sleep until about 4:30am to eat. Once he eats he is back to sleep, but after about a half an hour he starts stretching and moaning a LOT. At first I thought he was waking up, but he is sound asleep. I thought he might just be uncomfortable, so I unswaddle him and he wakes right back up. He will not ever sleep more than half an hour with out his swaddling blanket. Is it normal for him to thrash around so much a few hours before I get him up for the day (7:30ish?) If I get him up earlier, he wants to go back to sleep almost immediately. He takes 2 long naps and 1 short nap during the day.

Mine squirmed and made noise a lot around that age. My doc told me not to worry, its just what babies do at that age provided there is no medical issues, which with my ds there wasn't.

Even now, at 19 and a half months, he still does it, sometimes wimpering or crying out once or twice in his sleep, but I just leave him be and he goes right back to sleep.

hELLO,
As a mother of four. I experienced that as well. My baby would do the same thing around the same time of morning. I eventually realized that my baby was just gassy. You may need to make sure the baby burps two times instead of once. Try rubbing the baby's tummy in the downward position to help the gas move down and out of the baby's system. Good luck.

Isn't he in active sleep? Don't baby's have a few stages of sleep? Mine does that sometimes...but he starts laughing. It's really funny because we hear laughing coming from his cradle and when we see him he is sound asleep. Then he will make a few noises as well. He is about to turn 3 months old.

I was watching Oprah (yes, I love her!) a while back, and they had this thing about understanding baby-talk (up to 3 or 4 months) I think it is called Dunston's baby language... Anyway, maybe he just needs to burp, even if he's asleep, try setting him up for a few minutes and massaging his back. Hopefully that will help!
Our baby did the same thing when he was a few month's old, I could never figure out what was wrong, but with this next baby, I am going to try to follow the "baby language" guide!

I would suggest, just letting him squirm if he's not waking himself up. My son is 14 months old and will sometimes let out a "cry" or whimper while he's asleep, but I don't go in immediately to check on him and if he does wake up from it..he goes right back to sleep. Its possible that he's just moaning to readjust his comfort after being up. His napping seems to be pretty good!!! Also, I wouldn't use a blanket unless its to swaddle him with. If he squirms that much the blanket could potentially work its way up and over his face, that would be horrible. My son went to bed swaddled until he was 8 months old.

I have a 4 month old son and he is fairly similar in that he sleeps very soundly from the time he goes to sleep in his crib (around 8pm) until it gets close to morning. The closer it gets to morning, I can hear him kicking, rolling and making noises. I just assume this is normal behavior and that he is just in a lighter sleep than earlier in the night.

Yes it's normal. My younger boys both had "restless Butt syndrome" now that they are older it seems to be more like restless leg syndrome.

I know it's hard to go without sleep so you're going to have to train yourself to only wake up if you hear him actually crying.

I have a 6 month old girl and she squirms a lot too when she sleeps. I think they may just be dreaming or trying to get comfortable. Also with the sleeping a lot, its normal. Babies need so much sleep its crazy! It makes mom a little envious too! When they are going through a growth spurt they eat and sleep a lot more too. I dont think its anything to be concerned with. Hope this helps, Im only talking on 6 months of experience here!!
--S.

1 / 3