2Yr Old with Cough

My 2 year old got a cold (which she gave to me) and has this terrible cough. Because of her age, there are no cold or cough meds I can give her. Everything is for 6yrs and up. Are there any home remedies anyone can suggest? I feel so helpless and would like to find something to at least ease what she is going through. Thanks in advance.

First off, Thank You so much for all the wonderful ideas. I ended up going to WalMart and getting some Saf T Pops and Baby Vicks Vaporub. The pops helped sooth her throat before bed and I slathered her feet in the Vaporub. It worked the first night!! She didn't cough once, I couldn't believe it. My husband didn't believe me either, but the second night it worked like a charm too. That first morning after we had to check on her, she had even slept in. Thank you all again for the help!

A friend just told me about a remedy she said works--I've yet to try it. Rub Vick's vapo rub on her feet and cover with socks before bed. Supposed to work.

Triaminic Cold and Cough strips for Children is labeled for kids 2yrs and over. The strips are great. I can even give them to my child through out the night without waking him. It is a tiny paper that melts on thier tongue.

I use Triaminic Daytime Cough and Cold starting at age 1 and the doctor said it was fine if used in moderation. My 2 year old just got over a bad cough and there are 2 things that worked the best for her- putting infant vicks on the bottom of her feet and on her chest before bed and giving her a spoonful of honey. The doctor actually recommended the honey and it worked a lot better than the cough medicine. I was worried about the sugar keeping her awake, but it didn't.

Coughs are misserable especially when they are sleeping. You can try a warm drink right before bed like lemon water with honey or a lemon tea with honey. That really helps my son. Steamy bathrooms or even a warm bath will help too.

But she can also take robostusm (sp?). It is 1/2 tsp for a two year old. It is dosed on the bottle itself. If you get the one with the expectorant in it, she will get rid of the junk in her lungs much faster. My pediatrcian will give me a dose for diamtap to give my kids only at nighht to help with the nasal drip. That way she isn't getting as much down the back of her throat at night.

Good luck. I know how misserable it is being sick and having sick kids when you are pregnant. I'm due in a few weeks too and we are just getting rid of this cold that has been going around. If you guys can't kick it naturally go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Both my cold and my sons turned into sinus infections. I waited 4 weeks before I went it. I wish I had gone sooner.

Whole Foods has a couple of natural cough remedies/syrups for kids. For my 2 yo son, the "Chestal" brand works well.

The best thing we found for our son at that age was steaming up the bathroom and taking our him in for 15 minutes, making sure he was drinking plenty of clear liquids (while your child can, of course, have milk, milk often thickens mucus, so adding more clear liquids helps), giving him some honey, using a cool mist humidifier at night, and propping up his bed/crib so that his head stayed higher. You can either put raise the whole crib/bed or put a wedge or pillow under the mattress. I would caution against using any kind of vapor rub or vapor inhalant. I asked the pharmacist about these products when my son was that age because I didn't know if I should get one that he inhaled straight out, or that went on his chest, or in his humidifier. The pharmacist told me about studies that had shown that those vapors can cause an altered state of mind in children that young. That doesn't mean that will absolutely happen, but the pharmacist said he would never use those products for his own young kids. You might want to google using vapor products with young kids before actually buying any. Actual pharmacists (not just the people at the register in the pharmacy) have advanced degrees in pharmacology, and I don't recall if I searched online for more info, but I did decide not to give my son any of those products, and we made it through. Will your daughter drink warm (not hot), weak herbal tea? Make sure it's truly herbal tea (a tisane) to make sure it has no caffeine. Decaffinated tea can still have trace amounts of caffeine. The process does not remove 100%. Anyway, warm, clear liquids can loosen mucus. I hope some of this helps!

We recently went thtrought the same thing with our 3 year old. We used vics vaporub on her chest at night and it seemed to calm the cough and ease her breathing. It don't make the cough go away completely but we all slept a littl better. I hope this helps.

We don't use anything during the day, but we've been using children's Vick's Vapor Rub on our daughter's feet at night (we put socks over them after coating). Seems to really help ease the cough she's had. Might as well give it a try!

Have you ever tried Hyland's cough syrup? I think it's safe for your daughter's age. I found mine at Rite Aid, I'm all out so I can't check the ages it is apropiate for. Hope it works :)

http://www.hylands.com/products/coughsyrup4kids.php

1 / 3