2Year Old Doesn't like Clothes

Help! My 2 year old daughter was really showing interest in her big girl potty. I let her run around without a diaper to see if she would do anything. Since that day she will take her shoes,socks and pants off. That would be okay if she was using the potty, but she's not! What can I do about this? She goes to school 2 days a week and I don't want her to do that there! I usually put tights on under her pants since she pulls her shoes and socks off. We have hardwood floors and it gets to cold to not have anything on her feet. I feel bad because I started this. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Both my kids went through this phase. I totally wouldn't worry about it. We have hardwood floors, and my kids still prefer to be barefoot all through winter indoors at 4 and 8.

Has it been a problem at school? A lot of times, kids will go with the flow at school and be receptive to what the other kids are doing. I think it's totally fine to let her grow out of this on her own.

I hope you realize how incredibly *common* this is. When I was 9, my brother and I went to an in-home daycare over the summer. There was a little girl there, 2 or 3 years old, who would totally strip to use the potty, and sometimes she'd strip for no reason at all.

My son is 13 months old, and he has been known to take his pants and diapers off. Also, the only shoes that stay on his feet are Robeez because he can't pull them off. He pulls other shoes off, as well as socks.

Advice? I don't know if I have any, except keep your sense of humor.... Let her teachers at school know that she is going through this phase--she won't be the first they've seen, nor the last. Also, let your daughter know that at home when she is using the potty or taking a bath she can undress, otherwise she has to keep her clothes on. Try to keep it shame-free so she doesn't have issues later on (LOL). Modesty can and will come later.

Most two year olds love taking their clothes off, and most kids and adults are not offended by naked two year olds :) so relax!

I had to laugh when I read that because all of my kids went through this stage.... my youngest would strip as soon as he came home from school (he was three). Just keep reminding her she would probably be warmer if she had clothes on.

I don't think you "started" anything-- when my boys hit 2 yrs, we couldn't keep clothes on them for nothin'! LoL To this day our 5 yr old would rather be naked than anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it =) She'll be fine. If you want you could get her some fun kiddie slippers to keep her feet warm on your hardwood floors.

My 2 1/2 y.o. daughter does the same thing, and it all started the same way-with potty training! The difference is my daughter will use the toilet if she is naked, so I am all for it. But she takes her clothes off right when she gets home-just about everyday.

My daughter will be 4 in March and LOVES to run around naked.... She is always pretending that she is swimming or is a mermaid and such. This has been going on for about 6 to 9 months already. I don't see an end in sight yet.

BUT she only does this at home. Has your daughter ever tried to do it anywhere else. Because all you need to do when she strips is remind her that she can do that at home but nowhere else. And she'll figure it out that it's not appropriate elsewhere.

Don't stress. This is normal.

My two-year old does the same thing--she takes them off during the day, during nap, whenever. I just tell her, "it's too cold to have a bare tummy!!" and we put them back on. She wears Robeez type shoes around the house with her socks (we call them slipper shoes) and doesn't seem to be able to take those off too easily so at least her feet don't get too cold when we don't get clothes on right away.

Remember that undressing and dressing are skills--your daugther is growing and showing her big-girl independance. Someday you will want her to dress herself and this is just the start! Good luck!

1 / 3