2Nd Time Around.....

Okay, you may think this is silly but I am counting on you mommys out there. I have a daughter 3 years old. We are expecting number two August 30th. They will be about 3 1/2 years apart. Did anyone get something they loved with two younger kiddos? One specific is a stroller. Two seater or the one seat and standing room? Just anything you found more helpful the second time around to help you cope with two young kids. Thanks in advance.

I have to echo the comments about getting something to wear the baby. I have used a sling and a wrap, and love both, but will admit that the wrap is SO Much easier with tiny ones! It holds them just right so you don't have to worry at all about head support or positioning like you sometimes do with a sling-espeically if it's not fitted just right. I have found the slings easier once my kids are a few months old and able to sit more upright in them.

A sling so you can be hands free with the toddler!

I got a double stroller - BIG MISTAKE.... I'd go for the sling first. If you find you need a stroller for both, my sister loved her sit and stand depending on how big your 3 year old is. Enjoy and congrats!

My kids are the same distance apart and I love, love my ergo carrier!

your 3 YO will not be using a stroller for much longer so that would be a waste - By the time they're nearing four, they'll MUCH rather run/walk (unless you plan on going to the zoo/amusement parks OFTEN)
you really won't use it much, so it will be bulky and less practical

My kids are also about 3 1/2 years apart. So, I get where you're comming from. Although, I don't have any advice as far as strollers go (since I bought a double jogger when my baby was 6 months old and if I need to go somewhere I usually let me little girl walk-she almost always stays right by me though), I will advise about where to have your carseats in your car. If you have a regular car (no minivan) and are planning on having your baby in a cradle type carseat for the first year or so, then this is how I did it and it worked great. Put your baby in the middle. Then, have your older one be behind the passenger seat. That way, when you're parallel parked, your older child will be on the sidewalk/curbside. You can set the baby's carseat down on the sidewalk while you strap your other one in. Then, you can walk around and put the baby in the middle. I found that to be the easiest way. That way, your older child won't run into the street, etc. It is also helpful, so you can reach to hand your big kid things, and it is easier to look back quickly to check on things when you don't have to crane your neck clear around. Your older child will be able to talk to the baby and hand the baby toys/binkies/books, etc. Doing things that way has helped us greatly. Good luck!
I will also second the book Baby Wise. I read it and took things from it and implemented them into our lives. I didn't do EXACTLY what it said, I just used it as a guide. Both my kids were sleeping through the night at 7 weeks and 9 weeks. When my son was born, I used his nap times to play with my daughter. That was our "mommy time". I also used one of his naptimes as "me time" too. I explained to my daughter that if I was going to be the best mommy ever, I needed some time by myself. I would read, shower, check e-mail, clean, etc.
Good luck and congratulations! Times will be crazy busy, but extremely fun!

Totally agree with Lillysweets! I loved my zolowear sling!

http://zolowear.com/

You can use that thing anywhere and it's great for nursing. You can use it in the pool, vacuuming, and everywhere!

Congrats on #2 :)

My daughter was almost 3 when her little sister came along. I had a Bugaboo Frog stroller and LOVED it, and did not want to get rid of it for a double stroller. So I bought a riding board for the Bugaboo so my older one could stand while the baby rode in the stroller. It worked out great! (Also, the Bugaboo is super easy to steer one-handed and turns on a dime, which is nice when you're already wrangling a newborn and a preschooler!)

I agree with the advice about the sling, too. I actually had a Baby Bjorn but if I had it to do over, I'd have bought a Moby wrap. My cousin had one and loved it.

One other thing that made baby #2 so much easier (even though this was not a "thing" that we bought) was that we did BabyWise with her (we did AP with #1 and it really didn't work for us). Right away she was on a schedule and therefore slept great and at predictable times! I used the times when I knew baby would be sleeping to plan to do things with my older one. She and I came to look forward to this, and I think it made her feel like she was still just as special as she had been before baby sister was born.

Congrats on your growing family! =)

1 / 3