2Nd Pregnancy "Morning Sickness"

Hi there! I am currently 7 weeks with baby #2... we tried for nearly 2 yrs for this one, and I could not be happier. However I can not keep anything down... litteraly if I drink to much water it comes up, not to mention anything solid. This has been going on for 3 weeks, and lasts all day! I had pretty bad "morning sickness" although it lasted all day with my first child, but this just seems so much worse. I have no energy, and fell like I am putting too much on my husbabnds shoulders right now...any advice? I will try just about anything!

Thank you all so much! YOur advice, and words of encouragement are amazing... I feel so blessed to be a part of the sisterhood of mothers! I have already tried several of the recommendations, and have the rest of the list to go through, so I am not disheartend in the least!

I was mostly nauseous, I hardly threw up. But I sucked on peppermint candies - the red and white kind. Also, bananas helped first thing in the morning. I hope this doesn't go on forver.....good luck.

Of COURSE you are exhausted, C.--- you have a 4 year old - a school responsibility- AND you're pregnant - our culture pretends you can do it all-- but let me tell you-- there is a cost- and the exhaustion is it--- it intensifies the sickness. I pray for you dear heart-- experiment with different bland carbs ( crackers, cheerios) that may help your queasiness-- I used to carry around a ziplock bag with some - all morning long.

:-)

Sea Bands! They are stretchy accu-pressure wrist bands that are sold for motion sickness. They are the ONLY THING that helped be during my second pregnancy. I was not 100% better, but I was able to eat at least enough to say that I had definitely gotten some nutrition (I didn't have much of an appetite). With my first pregnancy I couldn't even leave the bathroom most days and I lost count of how often I actually threw up. My husband discovered these between the two pregnancies and had a set ready for me the day I found out we were pregnant again. I wore them all the time and only took them off to shower, to wash them (during which time I wore another set), and to sleep (you have to give your body a few hour break, but I always found that being nauseous didn't really matter TOO much if I was asleep.) I was also able to do things with my little boy that I know I wouldn't have been able to without them. I can't stress the awesome, almost magical power of these things enough =). They made the prospect of a third pregnancy appealing rather than something I dread just a little because of the throwing up. You can get them at Rite-Aid for SURE and probably Walgreen's..places like that. Oh, they are completely medication free, just pressure on your wrists. My OB actually asked if I was having trouble with nausea I showed them to her and she told me that she prescribes those before she prescribes any medication for nausea relief and usually doesn't have to after that. I had a lot of people tell me what to eat to counteract or prevent the nausea, but I simply COULD NOT EAT. Bland carbs didn't work, ginger didn't work, and the idea of eating them -- and of someone suggesting to me that I eat when I was trying to tell them that I couldn't just made me angry. Ha. Sea Bands. Good luck. =)

Congratulations on your second! I am a birth doula and the ting that seems to work best for my client's is to eat some protein before bed, and then a few crackers in the morning before you get out of bed to raise your blood sugar. The protein at night will help to hold your blood sugar through the night. You might also try a piece of ginger candy throughout the day, or a couple ounces of ginger ale when you are feeling at your worst. I would highly recommend the increase in protein throughout the day even if it is in little bits at a time that you can keep down.

Best of luck!
T. CD (DONA)

I am so sorry you are feeling so miserable. It really sucks!

These are the things that worked best for me:

1. Quit taking prenatal multivitamins. They are super strong and made me super sick. Every other day, I took regular multivitamins and that made a huge difference.

2. Seabands. They work like accupressure and make a huge difference for a lot of women.

3. Ginger - Ginger tea is good, but if you can't eat or drink, some women find taking a piece of ginger, peeling it and then chewing or sucking on it a few minutes will help cut the feeling down so you can eat or drink something right after.

4. Sour hard candies - they make you salivate and alleviate that sensation of feeling you are about to vomit. I liked the Altoid Sours - lemon, ginger or tangerine worked for me. Try the ginger ones first to see if it will help.

5. Boost the Vitamin B's. They can make a big difference.

6. Warm baths - for me this helped to take pressure off my body and relieved stress. I felt good in the tub but didn't feel much better shortly afterwards. It was good for those dire moments when I needed some serious relief or a break from the nausea for a few minutes. Some women find the tub makes them feel worse, so if you get it and you feel awful within a few minutes, more time probably won't help.

7. Find something - anything - you can keep down. Start by trying to keep that on hand and whenever you think about it, take a bite or two. Then on good days or hours, get as much of whatever you can down. I found that protein drinks helped on some days. Other days smoothies were great, especially when I was having certain fruit cravings.

And remember, many women do pull out of it after the first trimester is over. This will hopefully happen for you and you will find one day that you suddenly feel better and you are starving. Just eat up and enjoy the feeling and hopefully it will carry on the rest of the way. Then you can do more to help out again. But don't feel bad or put too much pressure if you can't muster it. It's incredibly taxing to create another human being. Call on friends and family to try to get someone to help watching your 4 yr old occassionally and see if they can help by picking up around the house and bring meals once in a while. Family and friends want to help, they just don't know what you want or need. For me, I would lay down and when I could bring myself to get up, I would focus on only one task like putting laundry in the washer and then go lay down again. If I got up to go to the bathroom, I would make a quick loop and pick up a couple things that need to go into a room nearby, brush my teeth and run a brush through my hair while in the bathroom and grab a glass of water to sip on when I laid back down. You'd be amazed at how much you can do even if you just do a little something each time you get up.

C.,
Believe me, I know how you feel. I just had my first little boy Jan 3 and for the first 7 months of my pregnancy I had morning sickness that wouldn't go away. I couldn't drink anything and could just forget about eating. I ended up in the ER several times because of mal-nutrition and dehydration. It was horrible. The doctors out me on phenergan but the didn't work.

My advice to you is talk to your doctor and see what kind of medication they can give you. Once you find out do a little research and see side effects on your un-born child.

Well, with it that bad I think it is safe to say you have tried all the over the counter things. Ginger, peppermint, crackers in the morning before you roll out of bed. If none of those work and it is severely hindering your day to day your ob can prescrib you an over the counter med. there are also other measures they can take. i wish you the best of luck and congrats!!!

I just wanted to say that this also happened to me, after 2 pregnancies that were fairly uneventful in the sickness dept. But with my third pregnancy I was so sick that I could not even drink water, and I lost about 15 lbs. in a month. My doctor blew me off, and I became so frustrated because my hubby was missing work to take care of our other 2 munchkins. So finally he called my Doctor, and she prescribed Reglan. MAGIC!! 24 hours after taking my first dose, I ate a McChicken from Mcdonald's and it was so euphoric to feel normal! It turns out I was carrying twins, and that's why I was feeling exaggerated symptoms. Reglan only cost me 12 dollars a month, and it is in the B category for safety. It was the ticket. Hope you feel better.

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor as it sounds like your morning sickness is very severe. A friend of mine had it that severe for her first and she ended up in the hospital with dehydration, as she couldn't keep anything down. There are things you can take, though I didn't actually find them of much use (I'm in the last stages of morning sickness, too), but maybe there's something stronger the docs would prescribe in your case. Good luck and I hope it ends soon!

1 / 3