2Nd Birthday Party "Choo-Choo" Theme

I am drawing a blank on this one, even as a former event planner. We are going to set up the train table in the middle of kid center. We have such a big family, that we are doing light brunch @ 10 for the family and cake and munchies @ 3 for the friends party. Too little really for games, although my 6 year old thinks we should "bob for apples that fell off the train" and have a pinata. Don't think I can master that shape. I really like doing a lot of the stuff my self. Put me somewhere between Martha and the semi-home-ade girl. Well, minus the cooking. I made invite that are an Engine (that says Kemper's Shin-an-igan Express), and two train cars connected behind, each with party info.
Ok, please help, and I'll stop rambling on....
Jess

How about red bandana napkins? Tickets that get punched by a conductor as people arrive? Train whistles as souvenirs (you may have to be crazy for that one as they do get loud!) For the kids maybe line up the chairs as though sitting on a train with an aisle down the middle - then play a game of going on a train ride - leaning forward when going down the hill, leaning back against the seat when going up the hill, sideways etc. Can even bounce up and down when the train come to a stop. Just some ideas off the top of my head - have fun!

M. C

look at Family Fun. com. There is a cake that I made for my son and it is a train cake. It was pretty easy, and it was so CUTE. Let me know if you can't find it.

V.

M. C

I would check out your local dollar store for any train whistles as a souvenir. It's not too late to start teaching him red light green light. I am a big favorite of pinatas...You can go to a party store or check out ebay, they really aren't all that expensive. I love the red bandana idea that someone came up with.

How about going down to your local appliance store and asking if they have any boxes...you can make and decorate your own train. The kids will have hours of fun. Take it from one that has done this before....MAKE SURE YOU'RE KIDDO GETS A NAP!!!! Nothing like them going arsenic at present or cake time. Also, I know that Wilton makes an adorable Thomas the Train cake pan...saw it at a party and thought it was really adorable!

You could make the pinata like the engine whistle.

If baby's too little for games he won't know that you didn't play train games ;)
I'd just let the kids decide what to play. Hope that's helpful. Have a great party!

yikes...this is a whole-day event for a 2 year old! How are you going to get a nap in so that your BD angel is fresh & not over-loaded for the 3 o'clock party?? That said & moving on: there are lots of good ideas on Family Fun's website & many other websites!
Buy train whistles for each child, play follow the engine/leader games (do like I do), & even the games your 6 y.o. came up! (letting your 6 y.o. help plan makes this more of a family event & fosters a sense of unity, rather than it all being about the BD child)
Good luck & since I've been doing parties for 20+ years, pretty much...no matter how simple...makes kids happy. The trick is in timing, prep, & lots of patience.

Musical chairs and hot potato with train music might be a good choice.

Instead of an actual birthday cake, I did cupcakes. I bought a toy train engine and a toy caboose. Then did cupcakes in 4's for the cars. I had a huge square piece of cardboard that I put green butcher paper on. I then drew the train track and a big pond with happy birthday in it. If you want send me a message with your email address and I will send you a pic of it. I also did the invite with train lingo. . . . .
All Aboard for _________ Birthday.
Get your tickets now, RSVP.
@ ______ Station
Departure and Arrival times.
Again send me a message with your email and I will send you a pic of the cake. It turned out so cute considering that I am not all that crafty!!

For each of my boys, I made a train cake for their 1st birthday. I bought some of those little tiny rectangle cake pans (I've seen them at walmart). I baked one for everyone at the party, iced them with different colors and decorated each of them with life savers for the wheels, lots of candies-just check out the bulk candy section. I set them all out on a big sheet of wood covered in foil. I used licorice strips for the train track. The kids (and adults) loved it!

You could do something with ho bo's on the train. You could have the train conductor giving out clues to where he was seen and try to find the object or something the ho bo left on the train. Your little boy could be the conductor and dress up with overalls and and engioner hat or bandan. Have a couple of lanterns around for motife. I like the bobing for apples you could even throw in a patito or two in. Good luck.

1 / 3