2ND Birthday Ideas

My daughter's 2nd birthday is this summer and I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas? We did the whole...a million people, big 1st party and I really would like to stay away from that this year. Just close friends and family. I am a planner and would like any idea's you ladies might have.

We went camping as a family(all my sisters & there kids, my parents etc.) for my sons 2nd birthday. SO we had ice cream at a local ice cream parlor.

But my son has 2 cousins on my husbands side that live close and didn't go camping with us and 3 friends form the neighborhood, that kinda bugged me into having a party too.

So I got some construction paper and made little invites to give to them. Since it was July I set of the sprinkler, and the little kids pool (the one that is like a foot or two deep. They all had fun playing in the water and then cupcakes and the bubble machine.

As party favors I gave each kid a silly cup with the handle that is a straw and put stickers, temporary tattoos, bubbles and a few pieces of candy in it. His friends still use the cup.

Parents magazine has some great ideas that are age appropriate. Finding an animal your child likes and theming it around that can be a lot of fun. ex. dog-oriental trading or birthday express has some dog bowls for your treats, you can make ears for you and your guests,bone shaped invitation and cookies. It can be easy and fun.
mother of three girls,12,8 1/2 and 4.

We had a friend who had a "ball party"...for 2 year olds, it's a great, easy and fun theme! She collected all of the balls she could find and just put them everywhere...the kids had a blast!

My Mom -- who raised 5 kids, was everybody's favorite Girl Scout Leader, and who especially *loved* the birth through elementary school years -- told me this: invite the same number of birthday party guests as the age the child is. If she's 2 -- invite two guests. If he's 3 -- invite three. The parties were usually no longer than 2 or 2-1/2 hours, and always had cool (when we were older) or fun (same thing, just the younger word) games or crafts planned. She actually gave it some thought, like, "The kids are going to need to run around about now," or "This would be the easiest time for them to focus on gift-giving."

My daughter is 12. The years that I've followed that advice have been the most gratifying, stress-free -- actually FUN -- parties ever. (Now we've been into sleep-overs for a good three years. That's a whole different dynamic...) One more thing: when the kids are so young (2, 3), it's nice to have the parents be at the party, as well. Focusing on the children, to be sure, but also helping to "hold the space" for the little ones. Enjoy!!

Try a small in home party. My daughters second birthday was at home. She had a great time picking out the decorations and helping mommy put them up. We also did a pot-luck which took alot of the stress off! GOOD LUCK and have fun with it!

Yep, the first birthday is mostly about us seeing them eat cake. But my son's 2nd birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and want it to be about him and what he likes. Playing with his family and balls, bubbles and balloons.

The weather won't be nice for outside activities for him but I am sure a nice park with HER favorite people and things would be a hit. Good luck!

We did the zoo for my first daughter's second b-day. People can bring their own picnic, or you can bring your own food to serve, or have it catered. OrientaI Trading Company has some great party favor packages that are zoo themed.

Going with the zoo is nice because you can keep it incredibly simple or go all out and it's good no matter what!

My sister had a great idea to teach her kids about sharing, and to keep the whole greed factor out of birthdays. She has a book-exchange party. Instead of bringing a gift for the birthday child, each guest brings a new, wrapped, age-appropriate book. Each child then gets to open a present and leave with something they'll love. I'll probably do this when my little one turns 2. She'll get plenty of toys, etc. from grandparents and other loved ones, she doesn't need to burden my friends and their families. Besides, the fun part is the party, right? I like the ideas about themes like balls, meet at the park, waterplay...what is your child into? Make the party about that. You could wait to decide until the date is almost upon you to make sure you hit their "new favorite" on the head. It doesn't need to cost money, either, especially with guests bringing their own party favors! As the kids get older, let them pick their own "theme" and help plan, decorate, etc. The books can match the theme if you like.
All the other moms had great ideas, too!

1 / 3