24 Weeks Measuring at 20 Weeks, Should I Worry?

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. We had an ultrasound done at 20 weeks and the baby measured perfectly normal. At my doctor's appt today, she said that my uterus was measuring between 20 and 21 weeks. She wants me to have another ultrasound done to make sure things are okay. I am feeling the baby moving quite a bit My first daughter was born just over 8 pounds, so I don't think I'm just prone to having small babies like the doctor suggested. Have any of you measured smaller than you should have and what were the results? I'm trying to be optimistic, but am also kind of worried.

I remember with atleast one of my pregnancies measuring one or maybe two weeks off at one point. The doctor at the time explained it as the baby being in a different position. However, that was a measurement done on the outside of my tummy from top to bottom not ultrasound. Sorry for your worry. Remain optimistic and have another US done to be sure. Much luck to you!

I had a 7 lb firstborn and a 4 lb secondborn. The second started to measure low at around that time, maybe a little sooner. And by "measure", I don't mean tape measure (there is a lot of error, as you can imagine, in a tape measure). I mean a real ultrasound measurement done by a qualified specialist, where they measure the head and 4 or 5 other things to get more accuracy. The specialist, through ultrasound, discovered that I had one uterine artery that wasn't functioning properly; the baby wasn't getting everything he needed from the placenta. He measured small throughout and I was considered at a very high risk and was even hospitalized once. I received a couple of steroid shots to be safe, in case he was born early. I went into labor at 35 weeks and he was born healthy with his lungs fully developed. Small, but healthy. It all turned out in the end, but it was very stressful. I don't think I would have made it if it were not for the specialist that I was seeing 1-2x/week (plus the non-stress tests!). My regular OB is awesome but they just don't have the technical expertise to read the ultrasounds the way the specialist can.

I would wait for the 2 ultrasound. I never measured right with any of my pregnancies--all 3 of mine were tiny, but all delivered on time-- none over 7 pounds. I do know of a several people whose 2nd babies were smaller than their first, my ob told me that it is actually more normal than people think. I am sure your 2nd us will show a healthy little one:)

I just had my second baby 2 weeks ago and towards the end of the pregnancy I kept measuring behind by a centimeter or two. That wasn't quite as much as your's, but I didn't worry about it. When Ely arrived, he turned out to be a nice 8 lbs even, 14 oz bigger than my first baby! I wouldn't worry too much (if you can help it) until you get the other ultrasound and see what it says. Good luck!

My daughter was measuring quite large at both a 20 and 26 week ultrasound, so much so they wanted to change my dates. She turned out one day past my due date 6lb 15 oz; all babies grow at different rates, even in utero! Have your ultrasound to make sure everything looks fine, but don't stress too much before hand (stress is not good for you or the baby). Go with your gut until they can conclusively tell you something different!

oh I wouldn't worry.. some people just have small babies. The measurements are based on averages not a hard and fast rule. As long as there's movement and you're healthy I'm sure all is well. I'd do the ultrasound just to be on the super safe side, but don't get frantic... my little guy measured small the whole time and he's just fine. All the babies in my family are just tiny because we're tiny ( I'm 5'2" and normally 125 pounds and I'm the biggest person in my family)

First of all congrats on the pregnancy!! Do you smoke? That could a small measuring baby......are you gaining weight? i was measuring small but only about a week smaller.....When do you go for your next ultrasound?

Fundal height measuring small does not necessarily equal baby measuring small. While measuring to the top of your uterus is a generally reliable thing (which is why docs still do it), your baby's position can change how it measures. If baby happens to be stretching out and sitting high when the dr measures you, you can measure ahead. If baby happens to be all curled up and sitting far back into you that day, you can measure behind. If you consistently measure a number of weeks behind, or aren't continuing to have consistent growth, then it can indicate a problem, but a measurement being off one time is very rarely cause for any concern. Ultrasound measurements of baby's growth at this point in pregnancy are going to be much more reliable indication of how things are proceeding at this point.
I measured small for the last 8wks of my last pregnancy, and that baby popped out at the same size of most of her siblings-even the baby where I measured a bit big for a while.
But hey, getting another peek at your baby is never a bad thing! :)

1 / 3