23 Weeks and Barely Feel Him Move

I am 23 weeks pregnant. I am overweight by about 50 pounds so I know this makes a difference. I can't find anything on this in any of my books. Shouldn't I be feeling the baby move alot by now. I feel him maybe twice a day if I'm lucky. It just worries me. I hate to call the doctor and seem like I'm overreacting. But it scares me.

I just want to THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH for your words of encouragement. I did call the doctor. He said that since I am a bit heavy (especially in the tummy area) that I shouldn't worry. We had a sonogram done at the end of April and everything was perfect with our son. He said to do some of the things suggested here-lay down, drink juice, eat a banana. If I didn't feel movement after an hour, then to call him immediately. But I felt him move. And then my husband came home and started poking around and that got the baby reved up! Thank you so very much again for all your advice!

You're probably fine. I was fat when pregnant too, by about the same margin, and I couldn't feel her much at that point. I also had one of those things you use to hear the baby's heartbeat, and that never worked for me. But whenever we went to the doctor, their stethoscopes picked it up fine.

C.,

As an overweight mom, when I was pregnant with my little girl.. being oversized... It was a little while longer before I felt all the movements... don't worry as much... it was just like those heart monitors that you can buy in the store.. with my size, I could not use it to hear her heartbeat.. just enjoy every moment, because when you do feel the baby move.. that is something that is special for the moms....

Good luck and enjoy...

I had a friend who was pregnant with her third and had the same problem. When she went to the dr and expressed her concern, she learned that she had an anterior (I think that was it) placenta -- in front, making it difficult to feel movements. So, just ask about it next time you're in, it may not be a problem.

Any good doctor does nit mind hooking you up to a heart rate monitor for twenty minutes. If you are ever really concerned, you can go to emergency to be checked.

Good luck! Some babies are less active in the womb than others.

YOu should be feeling the baby move about 3-4 times an hour. You probably do feel him but are busy and don't realize it. Once a day lay down on your side with a glass of orange juice (something cold) for about 20 min-hour. And count how many times the baby moves. You should be pleasantly surprised. If you don't feel baby moving that much give your Dr a call.

I've had four kids and one was just not that active... and still is the calm type! You should feel movement everyday, but how much can vary. At the times you are concerned, drink some orange juice and lay down after 5 minutes or so on your left side. Count how many movements you feel in a minute and then tell your doctor. I forget how many is considered within the normal range, but the juice should give the baby a kick. (I likened it to Popeye eating spinach!) It always reassured me when I got concerned. (I was obese during two of my pregnancies and had gastric bypass surgery before my last two- very normal- pregnancies!)

Hi C.! Congratulations on the pregnancy! I didn't feel my daughter (now 1 year old) move at all until around 23 weeks, and I didn't really feel her move all the time until probably 6 or 7 months. She was small (born 6 lbs 9 oz), and I am also overweight, but I found out during an ultrasound that my placenta was in the front. Another lady on here explained all that. So, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but definitely don't hesitate to call your doctor and have them do an ultrasound if necessary.

Good luck! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!

~M.

I had the same problem with both of mine! My daughter was worse, we were in the hospital every week at least doing non stress tests. they would have to bring a little vibrating thingy and push it to my tummy to make her move! just relax. if you feel there is something wrong, then call the doctor. it's better safe then sorry. Another thing you can try is to eat something that is amazing- with my daughter any time i had the herb chicken from hardrock or ate something spicy she would move all over the place! With my son, I had to lay with my feet propped up and he would start moving after about 20 minutes. I hope this helps- at least it lets you know that you are not the only one who has had this!

I am almost 32 weeks and also about 50 to 60 lbs overweight...I didn't feel my daughter move as much until about 27 to 28 weeks...although I did feel her back at 23/24 it was just not regularly.
I also have a 9 year old daughter and from what I can remember she was pretty lazy with a definite propensity to lay in wait for two to three days to scare me...I am sure you are fine but when in doubt call your doctor, he will be happy to reassure you.

Hey C.,

Last year I had my fourth baby, and like you it had been many years since I had been pregnant. I was also overweight when I got pregnant, life long struggle for me. With my son, I hardly ever felt him move the entire pregnancy. He was what I call a lazy baby, but I guess he was resting up and saving energy for when he came into the world. If you are really concerned call the Dr. and ask them if this is normal, but at 23 to about 27 weeks I would go days or weeks without feeling anything from him. After that I would feel him twisting and turning or punching me (he did not kick, he was a boxer)at least twice a day. I hope this helps, but I do stress if you are concerned call your Dr or the nurses to make sure.

C.,

Good luck and enjoy...

1 / 3