22 Year Old Dating 38 Year Old

My daughter lives at home. She is considering going out with a 38 year old man. What do u ladies think? She did not date until she was 18 because she was shy. That relationship lasted 3 years. They broke up about a year ago.
She has grown out of her shyness.
In some ways she is mature because she is used to hanging out with me because we are very close.
I dont think he has any trouble dating girls of any age because he is good looking and very young looking. He looks like he is only 28.

Since I wrote this they have still been dating a get along really well. So we shall see.

I am 46 and my husband is 61. My daughter is 21 and her fiance is 32.
Age isn't what's important, how they feel about each other is.

One of my best friends married a guy 20yrs her senior when she was 19. They're still married, have two wonderful children and are doing just fine. So I don't see a problem with a 22yr old dating a 38yr old. They're both adults. Who are we to judge, right?

My husband is 9 years older than I am. I am 24, we started dating when I was 19. My best friends husband is 11 years older than her, she is 25. They started dating when she was 20.

Age is nothing but a number.

I think it's time she moved out.

I think she is 22 and she can make her own decisions.

I used to date MANY older men.

Ignoring the mid life crisis folks (you learn to spot them fairly quickly) one of the things I like BEST about older men is:

What you see is what you get.

They know WHO they are. They know what they want out of life. In general, they don't care what other people think (a good thing, meaning that if they like you, they like you... there's no dilly dally of do their friends also 'like' you, because if they don't then blah blah blah). There's very little in the way of surprises. Older men are (as a rule of thumb) FANTASTIC... because their tempers, their tastes, their spending habits, how they view the world... they are just solidified. There's very little guess work with a man in his prime.

All of this is versus young men who are still figuring out who they are, very easily influenced by friends/media, and just plain and simple don't have the life experience yet to avoid the acres and acres of DRAMA that usually come with dating a young man. A man at 23 and a man at 33 are often VASTLY different people.

Will she marry him? Unlikely. That's a whole other series of issues (cart and horse)... but the dating experience is pretty invaluable. One of *my* biggest mistakes, however was marrying a young man after almost exclusively dating older men for several years. I FORGOT that 'what I see ISN'T what I get' with a young man.

let her go. she is an adult. and things might work out for the best with them. if not it will be a learning lesson for her.

A girl's gotta eat, right?

I think much depends on the individuals, if they really have things in common, if they are in a similar place in life. I met my DH when I was just shy of 23 (dated a year later, after we became friends) and we married when I was 26 and he 40. As far as the attraction, he didn't know I was only 22 when we met. He thought I was older and I thought he was younger. Sometimes it's not about looking for a hot young thang or having a daddy complex.

Things to consider down the road include children (does he have any? does he want any? is she happy with what he wants or will she maybe change her mind - I did), future goals and life plans, etc. Much like any other relationship. I do worry more about when my husband is old (I watched my grandmother take care of her husband - 17 yrs her senior - in his last years) but day to day I don't think about his age and vice versa.

I think she is grown and she is able to do as she pleases.... But then again idk why she is still living at home... Unless she in in school or something... I am 22 also, and my hubby is 34... But our circumstances are way different than hers but she should be fine...

First thought... what's wrong with the 38 year old that he isn't attracted to women his own age? Second thought... maybe your daughter is very mature for her age and age isn't important to either of them? Third thought... what could they have in common?

(so as you can see... I can't figure out what I think)

1 / 3