21 Month Son Has Dry Patches/small Bumps on Skin

My son was born with tiny bumps on the back of his arms (like mommy). Now, his back is so dry and after bath, the skin on his back turns very red. I use johnson & johnson head to toe soap-free wash and use A LOT of lotion to sooth his dry patches on back. The doctor told me it was excema on his arms so we reguarly use cream for that too. He does not scratch or act bothered but the redness after a bath and the dryness concerns me. Any ideas?

Both my children have very dry skin especially in the winter. I have found that Eucerin's Aquaphor is amazing. You can get it at any Wal-Mart. They also have lotions. It's a wonderful product.

I have 2 kids with ecxema. J&J products have the worst ph to them and actually aggrivate it. Try eucerin products or even cetaphil soap. The bar gives off more of a "soap" fell than the liquid. Also - dont bathe the child daily. The chlorine in the water here is rather high (especially lately) and is just drying out the skin even more. Try bathing every 2-3 days.

How offten are you giving him a bath? Try only giving him a bath 2-3 times per week and just washing him off with a warm wash cloth if he gets dirty in between. Have you tried vaseline or Mary Kay extra emolient ngiht cream?

the tiny bumps on the back of his arms sound like Keratosis Pilaris and not excema of course i am not a dr. just a mother of a child with Keratosis Pilaris my dr. said excema at first but come to find out after months of treating him with different creams and lotions Keratosis Pilaris there is no cure for.it will not hurt them just causes alot of itchy skins sometimes (my sons soesnt itch to bad) and for some reason they say there is nothing you can really do to rid your child of it they told me to exfoliate his skin and use lots of lotion i also use hydrocortosione for the itching i have seen many products on the market for it but have not tried very many as my son 's skin is very sensetive here is alittle ifo about it maybe you can talk to your dr

Keratosis Pilaris (KP) is a very common skin condition often referred to as "chicken skin". If you have keratosis pilaris, you are not alone. Worldwide, keratosis pilaris affects an estimated 40 to 50% of the adult population and approximately 50 to 80% of all adolescents. Varying in degree, cases of KP can range from minimal to severe.

Most people with keratosis pilaris don't know they have it. While KP resembles goosebumps, it is characterized by the appearance of small, rough bumps on the skin. Primarily, it appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms, but can also occur on thighs and buttocks or any body part except palms or soles. (Often confused with acne.)

Keratosis pilaris is unsightly but completely harmless. KP tends to be worse during the winter months or other times of low humidity when the skin dries out. It may also occur and/or worsen among pregnant women or show up after childbirth.
Keratosis Pilaris (KP) cannot be cured, however

it can be treated.

There is no cure for keratosis pilaris, since KP is a chronic, genetic follicular disease, however treatments are available. Results from treatments vary and can often be disappointing. With persistence, most people will see satisfactory improvement. It is recommended that treatment not be discontinued because the buildup of keratin (the hard protein in the skin, nails, and hair) will continue to reform around the hair follicles.

There are several types of keratosis pilaris; variants and related disorders include:
Keratosis pilaris alba : rough, dry, bumpy skin with no irritation

Keratosis pilaris rubra : reddened lesions; red, inflamed bumps

Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii (KPRF) : reddish rash on the cheeks (blushed look)

Keratosis pilaris atrophicans faciei: facial follicular atrophy (small scar-like depressions)

Keratosis follicularis (Darier Disease) aka lichen pilaris, or follicular xeroderma:

conditions in which abnormal keratinization (failure of skin to desquamate properly) is

limited to the hair follicles, manifesting itself as discrete, tiny follicular papules (solid,

usually conical elevations)

Ulerythema ophryogenes : involvement of the outer eyebrows

Atrophoderma vermiculata : severe worm-eaten appearance of the cheeks

Keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans: a rare familial variant which results in bald

areas on the scalp and eyebrows

Lichen spinulosus : solitary or multiple patches of follicular papules topped with scaly

He may be having a reaction to the Johnson & Johnson's body wash. A lot of moms think that Johnson & Johnson is the #1 trusted baby product, however they are notorious for putting ingredients in their products that causes skin irritations and can even cause upper respiratory problems. Check out the ingredient label: if you see quaternium-15 or Q-15 (for short) throw it out your door fast!! Quaternium-15 is a formaldehyde releaser and can cause eczema, dermatitis, and other skin irritations. If it seeps into the lungs it can cause asthma and breathing problems. Worst yet, it can cause cancer. You should do a Google search on quaternium-15 and check it out. It's a preservative so that's why they use it - it gives their products a longer shelf life. I would suggest trying organic body products, even lotions, on him and see if that helps. I actually buy all of my necessity and everyday products from a company online that has all natural ingredients in all of their products. It's really made a big difference in my family's health all around. I can share them with you if you are interested. Take care and I hope this helps for you. God Bless!

My daughter is 10 and is just now growing out of eczema. To control it, we have always used Cetaphil lotion for bathing and Cetaphil cream on all the itchy spots. She also got relief from the itch by using Aveeno products. I don't think there is a magic cure for eczema, but be glad he isn't itching! She used to scratch until she bled at night in her sleep.

Try Aquaphor -- it has worked great for us for 6 years!

My son (now 6) had terrible cradle cap as an infant and then developed eczema on his arms/elbows,behind knees, under his armpits and even behind his earlobes and other places. It has improved dramatically as he has gotten older and I hear that is fairly common. Through his first 5 years, we were guided by an excellent dermatologist and allergist (his skin condition was linked to allergies at times...he was allergic to egg; which we discovered at age 18 months- however, that was not his ONLY reason for eczema).

First, we've always used Intensive Treatment Head and Shoulders shampoo for his soap/shampoo in the bath. It is a bright orange color. This was recommended by his dermatologist and it does seem to help ameliorate the dry skin! We started that as an infant and have never switched.

The medication that worked so well on his cradle cap was Protopic. It was a miracle for us. Worked almost instantly. The downside is the expense of that medication. The additional medication we've used for flare ups of his eczema (and it's MUCH cheaper than the protopic) is a combination cream prescribed by his allergist... it is something like Velvachol/Triamcinolone combination cream. Those have worked very well for treating it; and of course, a thick/moisture cream like Cetaphil, Eucerin or Aquaphor cream/moisture lotion immediately after bath (and BEFORE you dry his skin with a towel so it absorbs into the skin) to just maintain less dry skin overall. I hope this helps! I'm just passing along what I've learned from some great doctors, b/c I'm certainly not one! I've had lifelong issues with this myself and the docs tell me this is definitely hereditary. Aquaphor Healing Ointment is also fabulous for chapped skin.. lips, bottoms, etc. Good luck!

Usually eczema is a sign of an allergy to something. I have found that the eczema on my scalp is directly triggered by artificial coloring in foods. Some kids have bad eczema because they are allergic to dairy...you might want to check into possible food allergies! Also, check the ingredients of your soap. The J&J soaps, and most other regular liquid soaps and baby products, usually have a long list of chemical ingredients that you are rubbing on your baby's skin! My daughter has dry skin too, I guess she got it from me, but thankfully no eczema. We only use homemade soap that we buy locally, it's made with honey and it's great for your skin. It smell wonderful too, and it only contains whole ingredients and no chemicals or oil by products like most commercial soaps. And we only use that every now and then, for the most part my daughter rinse off with water and she gets squeaky clean! Here is the link to the soap. I promise, it is the most amazing soap ever...one bar lasts us for months. http://www.abigailsoap.com/

Hi K.-
I recently read your posting regarding your sons dry skin. I have an 18 month old son and from day one I have been using all products exclusively. The diaper cream especially is fantastic is with the body oil and hair/body wash! He had responded very wells to these products and the mothers that I have recommend Arbonne's products to have had nothing but successful things to say! One mother recently called me and told me that they stopped going to the dermotoligist b/c of the childs success. Another mentioned that her child has reduced fevers at night and is sleeping much better b/c of Arbonne's baby products!

Arbonne's products are all natural and botanically based, fragrant free, no animal testing or bi-products. And most of all, products are approved by Pediatrician. My father is a pediatrician and pediatric oncologist and has referred many patients and nurses to b/c he sees the success in using these products!

If you are interested in learning more about Arbonne's products, especially our baby care line, please don't hesitate to email me at ____@____.com. I always offer a 35% discount on products and sometimes can even extend the discount to 50 or 80% off! This month I have a special promotion on qualifying orders which you can receive a FREE gift, $20 in value!

I hope you find something that works!

Best,
Elissa Brown
District Manager and Independent Consultant
Arbonne International
www.arbonne.com
###-###-####

Use Dandruff shampoo on the patches. Doesn't have to stay on long, 15 second to a minute.
Most of that stuff, is caused by allergies. When mine, or my children's arms, (little bumps) or sclerosis on my elbow, pops out,,,I know it's time to see my allergist.

One thing they will tell you, or use to tell you,,was to use Dandruff shampoo, to dry up the spots.

It also works great, on getting rid, of those painful red bumps, that we get on our butts at times. Little dandruff shampoo on that area for 15 seconds,,,no red bumps.

Since it's probably allergies that causing it,,,,make sure where the child sleeps is as dust free, scent free, as possible,,,use unscented thing, lotions/soaps etc.

Bet you see an improvement, in a couple of days.

Peace,

1 / 3