21 Month Old.. NEED ADVICE

OK.. I need some serious advice!! My 21 month old son will not stop hitting other kids! I take him to the gym daycare everyday while I workout and he got kicked out of the daycare today for his hitting! He constantly hits and when the ladies put him in timeout he sits there for the min he is there and gets up and runs and hits another kid! He sometimes hits at home but most of his time is spent with just me and he rarely ever hits me so I am lost as to what to do to fix this behavior because I don't usually see him hit unless I am peeking my head through the window and watch him at the daycare!! I was sooo mad at the daycare because I said to myself he's only 21months old, its not like he's 3 or 4! And now I am home with him and am so disappointed in him but feel sorry for him because he is so clueless as to what just happened, he's not even 2 yet and he's already getting kicked out for his behavior! I know it's nothing that other kids are doing to him or even the daycare staff they simply put him in timeout, as I do at home, and then he just continues hitting!! Does anyone have any advice!!! please help!!!

He is still a little one. Just give him a break from the Day Care situation. Three is early enough for a peer group etc.
B. v. O.

Hi R.:
Your sons behavior is normal for his age.He is not old enough to have developed social skills.Learning how to play,mingle with other children takes a certain amount of maturity,and of course guidance from someone who knows. Shoving him in a corner,in a chair,is not going to teach him how to get along with others.That's why after sitting there for a few minutes,he gets back up and does the same thing.He's to young to grasp WHY he was put there.Children aren't born into this world with communication skills. They need to be taught.The reason many adults,lean toward discipline as a resolve,is because they look at this type of behavior as BAD. Where they fail,is in their expectations of their child. Surely, we can find a little time in this hectic world we live in,to teach our children how to play with others.What sort of message are we sending our young children If our focus is on discipline,each time they fail at progressing? My fear is that we will have a generation of children,who believe themselves to be disobedient,or bad before they even reach grade school.Take the time to teach,and lend guidance. It's as simple as finding a playmate for your child,and observing.I use to sit,and role play with my son,and his cousin. I would have them trade toys,and teach them how to ask,rather than grab..In one afternoon,I had them both playing nice,saying please and thank you,and giggling at their new found game of (Communication and social skills)It's my opinion, that the young girls in charge at the health club,are not experienced enough,to realize, that your son is younger than the majority and their expectations to high, therefore their discipline, inappropriate.You may want to point this out next time you go,and ask them to please use patience,and show him how to play correctly. I wish you and your darlin son the best. J. M

This is normal development.
Boys are more physical than girls.... they get to an age, where they do this...even if for no reason.
My son does that, my daugther's Teacher has a grandson the same age that does this... and her Teacher says its normal... they are exploring...

Here are some great links about it that I highly recommend:
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-d...
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/6/T060100.asp

Bear in mind, a toddler will NOT just stop. It will continue... but you teach them redirection and ways to express themselves. For a child, it takes an entire childhood to learn "our" rules... and socialization. It will not be a battle won overnight... nor will they get adept at it overnight, nor will they "master" rules overnight.

Some kids are just more physical than others.

One thing though, ALWAYS keep your "expectations" of a child, in line with their age and development. At this age they don't even have "impulse control" yet... but a parent will EXPECT a child to just "behave" and stop... they don't understand that behaviors WILL continue and a child CANNOT be perfect. Yes, it can be exasperating... but the child is learning... it is growing pains.
They are not all knowing about the world yet... even TEENS have problems like this too...

One thing I do not believe in, is constant scolding or harsh punishing... this does not always teach them well.

It is a phase... a child must be guided, and yes like you said... they are often "clueless" about things. They DO NOT HAVE THE COGNITIVE ABILITY at this age... to succumb or to perfectly listen or correct themselves at-will. FULL impulse control and emotional development is simply NOT developed yet at this age.... so "expecting" things from them that they cannot yet do, will lead to continued disappointment for the parent and then the child will learn that they are just scolded all the time. The "reasoning" ability in them is not developed yet.

A Toddlers life is basically one that they are always scolded, told 'no', having disappointment, not allowed to just vent and get out their yah-yahs etc. Un-fun. Meanwhile, at such a young age... they don't even know why they are scolded many times.

For me, I may be irritated with something my kids are doing because they are very physical and expressive (something I value in them), but it can get on my nerves... but still, I KNOW that at certain times, and certain times of the day- they are just venting and getting out their extra whatever... so I let them. A child NEEDS to do that... they have so much energy to expel... EVERY single evening... my kids get naturally more physical and energetic... I call it the "witching hour" and I know that after they are done, they are once again calm and relaxed. No matter how active they were during they day, every evening my kids just get more alert and energetic. It is them... but if they "fight" with each other... they get their toys taken away. Toy time out. BUT... per my son's age since he is younger... I go according to HIS development... whereas my daughter is 6 years old and she understands more, naturally. BUT... they KNOW my limits and what the bottom line is... then they stop. I use "cue words" with them... like "in one minute.... stop. Wind down..." And since I use these cue words all the time, they understand and do it.

Kids NEED "transition" periods too... so they can unwind and and then get into another mode of rhythm or activity or behavior... and I always teach them how to "explain" what they are feeling even if it is something they don't agree with me... and then we "compromise." I taught my daughter the word "compromise" and what it means from 2 years old... and it formed a basis for MANY behavior advancements in both my children.

Its what you teach them AND the coping-skills for it, in conjunction with teaching them HOW to problem-solve and "compromise" with a Parent. OVER TIME... it then becomes the foundation for MANY things and makes them more competent at "solving" issues, and even later, with friends or others.

Its NOT always about "fixing" the child... but rather, HOW TO TEACH them other means or alternate means of expressing things and building empathy and then cooperation. And sometimes... a Parent needs "fixing" too... to learn HOW to handle their child given their personality and vitality AND talents and interests, and nurturing it at the same time.
For example: we have taught my daughter/son to "always be yourself... what is in your heart and what you love..." we don't try and FORCE them to be like us... but to blossom into what they are like. Its a balance.

All the best,
Susan

I was a nanny for ten years and I understand your frustration. It sounds to me like your son has your full attention at home and has learned that hitting gets him undivided attention at daycare. Unfortunately, small children don't care if attention is negative or positive as long as they are getting it.

I recommend you help him learn that positive attention is better than negative. In order to do this I recommend starting playdates at home if you haven't already. Start with one on one so you are there to correct him when he hits. Once he learns in a one on one scenario not to hit, then expand it. Invite two friends over. It will be a long process, but it is necessary for him and for you. You must be consistent. Praise him when he is doing well and playing kindly with other children. Make sure that he is getting more positive attention than negative. If the consequence for hitting is no attention, i.e. time out in his room, then he will learn that being good gets more attention and thus positive attention is what he will gravitate toward.

All children need different forms of discipline. Whereas one child may simply need to sit in time out for one minute and they don't make the same mistake again, some children don't get the same benefit from a time out.

The point of a time-out is to get the child's attention so you can teach them something. They want to be with you more than anything, so separating them for a 'time-out' gets their attention. If you sit with them in time out or they don't care if they are separated for a minute or two then the time-outs are not the right choice for your son.

Try a few different things to see what works best for him. If putting a favorite toy in time out for the one minute or more gets his attention, then that's what you do. Sometimes simply turning your back and saying "I don't play with little boy's who hit." will get his attention.

Most of all you need to make sure that you are clear in telling him that hitting is wrong. Talk to him as you would a five year old. Explain it to him that it is mean and hurts. My daughter is 22 months and had tried out hitting a couple times. I tell her that it is mean and we don't hit. I remind her that I don't hit her, she doesn't need to hit me.

I don't know your view on spanking but I feel it sends the wrong message. If I strike my child and tell them hitting is mean that doesn't accomplish anything. They won't get the message.

I hope this helps. If putting a toy in time out, try taking away other things. Most of all be consistent and be tough. Kids are worst than terrorists, they can smell a crack in your defenses from a mile away and they won't hesitate to exploit it.

S. M

www.storksbestfriend.com

B. v. O.

Dear R.,

I understand how frustrating this can be. Please understand that there is no reason to be disappointed with your son. In fact, he is doing an excellent job at communicating with you. He acts out when you are not around, but doesn't when you are there. He wants to be with you. He needs more of your time. A time out will be completely ineffective because, essentially, the daycare is punishing for having feelings of sadness, abandonment or anger. Punishing him for having these emotions does not change the emotions. It does, however, create shame and increased anger. I have a number of articles on my website about this issue. (www.GilaBrown.com) If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck,
G. Brown, M.A.
Child Development Specialist

Hi. My son was a hitter too. He eventually grew out of it, but redirecting him to hit something else like a teddy bear really helped. I think it's a natural instinct for boys to be a little more violent. Maybe let him pick out something to make his punching bag and bring it with you on outings with other kids so if it seems like he's gonna hit a kid, you can quickly redirect him to his punching "thing". Don't worry. It's really normal for little kids to do this- you just have to stay consistent with not allowing it and this will pass. Best wishes!

I also have a son who is 21 months old and he doesn't seem to have problems in day care settings but he definitely seems frustrated at times due to the limitations on his current ability to communicate verbally which results in him hitting, trying to bite, or just plain yelling in frustration when I tell him no, he wants something he can't have, etc. I've tried time outs but what seems to work better and more immediately is picking him up, slowly counting to ten out loud with him, then setting him back down. For whatever reason it works with him, he immediately stops his behavior, and listens to me count. Most of the time when I set him back down his frustration has passed and occasionally he resumes a behavior so I repeat the process. After the second time if he starts again he gets a time out but I rarely have to do that. If he's still upset at that point it's usually a tired, hungry, thirsty, teething type cause.

HI R.,

oh, how this brings back memories! My son (now 3.5 years) was a VERY persistent biter. Drove me NUTS!

Take a deep breath and realize that this is a normal developmental phase. Obnoxious and frustrating, but normal! :-) As much as you can, try to intervene to teach him how to act around others. Be very specific about what behaviors/actions you want him to do. Telling him to "be nice", for example, is not specific enough. Something like: "oh, i see you want that toy, let's ask Johnny if you can have a turn: Johnny, can Jimmy please have a turn?" or "oh, you want to say "hi" this is how we say hello to our friends" and take his hand to wave it.

I would encourage you to avoid any physical punishment or hitting him so he "knows what it feels like". He's too young to make that connection, and doesn't address the fact that he doesn't know what you want him TO DO.

It is a tough phase; you want to address the behavior, but what really works is just teaching him substitute behaviors, and giving him time to grow up.

1 / 3