21 Month Has a Cold What Is Safe?

Hey everyone I have a 21 month old boy who has just started daycare this is his 2nd week. And I know that he is going to be getting sick more often now from being around other kids everyday. Well he had a cold about 4weeks ago and got over it giving him over the counter medicines his doctor ok'd. Then he got a bad stomach bug last week and he got over it. And now he has been developing a cold/cough.

He was just coughing so much yesterday day and all last night. We put the vaporizor on and the sudacare plug in's and vapor rub on his chest. And my husband called our after hours nurse to see if we could give him the pediatric robutussin. And was very firm " do not give him that or any other OTC medicines" because of the recalls.

My question is, now what are we supossed to do when he gets cold and cough? Just let him cough? For his whole life our doctor has said that they were safe for him to take and now all of a sudden we aren't allowed to give him anything untill he is 2? And by the way he is 32lbs so he meets all of the weight requirments on the medicines. Can you all help!

I actually tried the Vick vapor rub on his feet last night, b/c he still has some congestion and was coughing a little. Man that boy slept really well. It was so funny, he was half awake looking at me like "Mom what are you doing". My husband said that too, "What are you putting on his feet?". I told him that ya'll suggested it on here. And I just want to say thank you so much.

my daughter is the same age and I give her children's mucinex or tylenol sinus/allergy. I know exactly what you are going through, we just started daycare about 2 months ago. hope everything works out and you find the right medicine.

Just a little something another mom shared with me is to douse you little one's feet with vicks vapor rub and cover with socks just before bed time. For some odd reason it REALLY works. It's supposed to trigger nerves which soothes colds and coughs. Try it! It works very well with my daughter. I do it every time she is sick with a cold/cough ETC. Good Luck!

Since I had my first daughter 9 years ago, I have avoided OTC cough/anti-hesitimine meds because I was always leary. IMHO I think they prolong colds--I do not even take any of them. (Actaully once my husband and I had a cold at the same time; I did the the stuff I am abou to mention and he did the OTC route, I was better in less than two days and he ended up going to the doctor five days later for z-pac).
When we get a cold, we do lots of hot steams and drink lots of hot tea with honey. And, for the very different one, we give a small piece of high quality bitter sweet chocolate (NOT something you find in the Target candy aisle, more like Calebauret or even Lindts 82%) and the coughing STOPS for about 30/40 minutes.
See http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/16781.php
I am a big fan of hot baths, cuddling and story times too. Hot water vaporizers and the new sudafed plugs are awesome too!
We also do drives in the cool night air if the cough sounds croupy.
I know it seems like a lot of work but it is better for all involved in the long run.
I know some of these sound crazy but they have worked for us for 9 years and my kids rarely get sick (between my four kids, we've been on antibiotics twice total)--I think avoiding OTCs is one of the reasons why.

the only reason they did those recalls is because of stupid parents that don't read the labels and they overdose their kids. they think if a little does good then alot will do better. there is nothing wrong with the over the counter medicine it is poor parenting. my kids are 13,10,8 and plus i have 7 nieces and nephews that have ALL taken those medicines. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the medicine as long as you read the directions and follow them.

I would call your doctor today and ask him. We give our 20 month old Triaminic (3/4 tsp) for cough and Dimatapp (3/4 tsp)for cold symptoms. From what I have read, neither of those are on the recall list. Our pedi told us just a couple of weeks ago to use those when he was sick. Good Luck and I hope your little one is feeling better. It is hard to get kiddos acclimated to the germs at daycare.

There has been a recall on all infant otc medicines which is why7 the after hours nurse told you no. Try and wait til Monday to get him to the doctors. I'm sorry that your going though this at this dark hour. Good luck!

Keep using a cold mist vaporizer if it helps. Avoid hot mist vaporizers, as bacteria can grow in them and be spread that way. As a rule the hot ones are not hot enough to kill off bacteria or viruses. Otherwise, just let it run it's course. The OTC medicines are not cures. They only relieve symptoms and may in the end prolong a cold by preventing natures way of killing off viruses or bacteria by way of mild fever. Only if a fever goes beyond 103'F should you worry. Then you should take him to the emergency at your hospital. Some people swear by vitamin C. You could try giving him some vitamin C by giving him orange or apple juice. They both are good sources of vitamin C. At least that will not hurt him, and he would benefit from the extra fluids.

I too have heard about the Vicks Vapor Rub on the feet with socks at night. You should try it!! Also, the cool-mist humidifier on high in Ryan's room always made a drastic difference. (you said "vaporizer" but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as the "cool-mist humidifier" that we have, it works like a charm)

Good luck, I hate seeing them sick too. :o(

~ t

My first son which is 2 1/2 now was always sick while he went to daycare, what my Dr. recommended that I use with both of my boys is Rescon GG. It is not a decongestant, it is an expectorant which breaks everything loose. Dependant on how dry their cough is and if it is in the mid of the night, I will give it a boost by taking them into the bathroom with a hot shower running.

You can ask for it behind the counter of any WalGreens, Walmart, Kroger, etc. I do not use anything else.

Good luck to you!!

1 / 3