20 Month Old Will Not Drink Milk

My 20 month old daughter will not drink milk. I have tried adding chocolate and strawberry flavoring. I have also tried not offering other drinks. Please help.

AHHH, then she must know something most people don't...you don't need milk! I know we've all grown up with the deception that we can only get calcium through dairy. She may be a bit young to enjoy tofu, salmon, bok choy or collard greens, BUT does she like brocolli, peas, spinach or baked beans? Also, try 1 cup of Orange Juice calcium fortified. Not too much juice because of all the sugar. All are rich in calcium. I also supplement my kids with a great Calcium Plus product. It tastes great and I mix it with their regular kids vitamins. The products are powder, mix with water and drink. You can read more information on Calcium Plus at www.marketamerica.com/2bewell
Take care,
V.

My 20 month old girl will only drink milk with Vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast. That way she gets some extra protein and vitamins too. I have started phasing it out of her milk by not adding as much to her cup.

Take care,
V.

I know this will probably sound wrong to some, but I'm not sure I would make her drink milk if she doesn't want it. I found that I was allergic when I was in my 30's and now its hard to avoid milk. I used to love milk, but after not drinking it I don't like it so well. My daughter got a stomach ache at school every day at lunch time (we had her stop milk in the morning and things went back to normal).
I worked at a day care where a little boy was falling asleep all the time, his mother found him asleep in the driveway one day, and the doctor found that he was sensitive to milk and took him off it and he was a different child! Another mom heard her story and experimented by taking her child off milk and he changed dramatically too.
So my final thought is to not push, maybe she is sensitive to milk and her body is telling her to avoid it. I've heard that almond milk is a good alternative, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

I had this problem when I was weaning my 1 year old. He is 15 months now and does drink it now (with a little chocolate that I am gradually taking out). But when I talked to my peditrician about it she said kids need the calcium and as long as he was getting that from yogurt, cheese, etc. then he was fine. She told me 3-4 servings per day. I would ask your peditrician if you think she is not getting enough calcium. Good luck!

This sounds very familiar, only my son did like the strawberry flavoring (finally!). While we were trying to find something he liked, we fed him lots of yogurt, pudding, and cheese. Whatever we could find that had calcium in it, we tried. Good luck! Kids sure can be stubborn when they don't like something.

My daughter was/is severely allergic to milk.

You don't have to have cow's milk to be healthy...just make sure your daughter is getting her calcium from other sources. Try Rice Milk, Soy Milk, or calcium added orange juice.

At one time I had to resort to liquid calcium added to juice...then she quit drinking juice and refused everything but water.

Then we tried calcium suppliments.

Which I later found stuck down in the dirt of a houseplant when I repotted it. (the fact they weren't dissolving in the watered plant should have clued me in they wouldn't have helped her anyway)

Crafy little buggers these kids can be!

So then I went to a chewable calcium suppliment that looked/tasted like Gummi Bears.

And made her eat them in front of me. Complete with sticking out her tongue. The only way this was accomplished was to make it clear she either ate the Bear, or we took a dose of liquid vitamins that tasted somewhat like a mixture of crude oil and sweaty socks from the Dallas Cowboys football team.

Just sitting the bottle on the table with a spoon was usually enough to get the Bears down the hatch.

A mother's work is never done.

Maybe she just doesn't like the taste of milk. I know I don't. If you are concerned about calcium, there are other choices such as cheese, yogurt, etc. I certainly would not try to force milk by not allowing her to have any other drink options. I wouldn't substitute colas or sweet drinks such as kool-aid, though. Water is a wonderful drink, and it starts good habits early. Juice is fine, too, but there again, moderation is the key.

Have you tried Ovaltine. My daughter was premature and she is still 2 1/2 and they still have her on whole milk. Ovaltine has the vitamins, etc. in it as well - comes in a variety of flavors. It is worth a try.....

Had this same problem myself...first, don't worry about it...if you can get some dairy into her (ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc...then you are doing fine). 2nd have patience...I had to back door my son into drinking milk via Yahoo...yes, I know it doesn't have any milk in it...but the point was that it was premixed and tasted like milk...he thought it was chocolate milk! We kept on that about 2-4 weeks and he was breezing through them...so I just started bringing home the premixed chocolate milk from the refrigerated section. Yes, it may cost more then plain milk but if she drinks it, is not your mission accomplished?

I found that no matter Nestle, Hershey's, Ovaltine, etc. he would not drink the milk...he didn't like the grainey taste of the powders and the syrup just didn't taste as good as the premixes...

You also might want to consider getting her tested for allergies...my hubby has a milk allergy so that all dairy tastes sour to him...my son used to make a face when he drank white milk (like it was sour) but if he drinks Chocolate we don't have any problems...I can't get him to drink it every day and he'll go through spurts, but at least I can get him to occasionally drink it...hope this helps.

1 / 3