20 Month Old Son Has Odd Rash

Hi all, I hope you can help. My son is covered in little tiny bumps. They aren't red, you can only see them in the light but they are making his skin rough. They aren't itching him or bothering him in anyway. They are bothering me though because they are on his belly, chest, back, arms and face. Could this be a reaction to something? Food Detergent? Like I said he's totally acting his normal happy, energized self. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks everyone! This is what I suspected but I just needed some reassurance. I'm still going to call the Peditrician but, I'm pretty sure she'll say the same thing. Thanks again!

Hi C., It could be an allergic reaction to something. I would advise taking him to his Doctor. M. H.

It does sound like excema, 2 of my boys had it. I used the Aveeno/Aquaphor stuff and it never worked very well on my boys. This did. Put baby oil in his bath water, then I would use
hydrocortisone cream on their skin, then cover it with a layer of petroleum jelly. This usually only took 2 days to clear up. It could be in response to the weather change; that's when my boys always get it. You could also try 1/2 teaspoon of benadryl to see if that helps it.

HI. My son had the same thing a while back (also at about 20 months) and it ending up going away on its own.

Hi C... I get that myself .. I THINK its a heat rash. It has never botered me , Just thought I would let you know.

C.,

This definitely sounds like eczema. Something that I found that works really well for my son. He has extremely sensitive skin still and is 3 1/2, I still use the dreft detergent on his clothes. I only use aveeno bathing products as well as lotions and sunscreens on him. Since doing this I have not had but one or two outbreaks.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

35 y/o SAHM of 3 boys
13, 6 and 3

The rash is definitely a reaction to something. The best thing is do is take "away/change" everything you think might be causing the rash (change the detergent to hypoallerginic, think about any NEW foods he has recently eaten, etc) then add them back 1 week. Just like when you started feeding him baby food - You add one thing back for one whole week. If there's no reaction, you add another thing (you don't take away the first one you added since there was no reaction you know that isn't the cause). This is the only way to find out what the "problem/allergy" is. The body can't tell us what's wrong (unfortunatley) so their little bodies react with rashes and then it's up to us to figure out what's wrong.

In the meantime to help the bumps go down use Neosporin.

I agree. Two of my boys have the same thing. It's a colorless, itchless, sandpaper feeling rash. On the oldest, it more noticible on the back and chest. The youngest gets it more often on the inside of his elbows. The pediatrician said it was eczema and gave them a lotion to put on. I also agree that frequent bathing exacerbates the symptoms, so I try not to bathe my boys every day unless they get really dirty. We've been dealing with this for a couple of years now, and it hasn't slowed them down a bit! It doesn't seem bother them at all.

Hey C.,

Have you taken him to the doctor yet? I would definitely do that first. It is totally possible that it is a reaction to food, detergent, etc. but I would want a doctor to have a look at it. Also, my son had very dry skin behind his ears and it took me 15 months to find something that would heal it. I use a lotion called Renew and it worked within 3 days to clear up his skin. I also use a detergent that is chemical, toxin, and poison free called Mela Power. We have no problems with irritated skin problems in our family and I believe these products have a lot to do with it. Feel free to contact me if you would like and I can tell you where to get these products.

All the best to you!
###-###-####

Hi. It sounds like what my 3 year old has (and has had off and on for a year & a halfish). If so, it's just a glorified form of dry skin. My pediatrician recommended bathing him with a gentle loofah type sponge (I just use those colorful fluffy things) with a sensitive skin cleanser (Aveeno is a good one) and to make sure that I am very liberal with a GOOD lotion (Eucerin, Aveen, etc).

I also try not to bathe him every day unless he's dirty... I think that over exposure to the water can dry the skin out too. I also try to limit his time in the bath water... which can be hard when they are having fun =).

It comes and goes. It doesn't bother him... I think it just bothers me =). Good luck!

--P.

1 / 3