20-Month-old Recently Diagnosed with Egg Allergy, Any Advice?

Hi Moms,

My son was recently diagnosed with an moderate egg allergy. We see the allergist this week but I'm wondering from the moms out there with kids with this allergy might have any advice. Food has always been a challenge with my son because he has a dairy allergy but this egg allergy now makes it almost impossible to give him any packaged foods or to dine out. I'd appreciate any advice/recipes you might have. Also, when did your kid outgrow this allergy? This diagnosis will make things more difficult but I'm hopeful it is has been the underlying source of his chronic colds, weakened immune system, etc.

no advice but here is a recipe for some cookies you cam make

Apple- Cran-Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 cups applesauce
2 cups all puprose flour
6 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups dried cherries
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

Cream butter, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, and brown sugar. Mix in applesauce. Gradually blend in flour, and then oats. Stir in dried. Let dough sit for one hour.
Drop by tsp (I do larger so I bake longer) onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 350 for 10-12 min (15-20 if larger) or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on wire rack.

Hope this helps some, they are super yummy and no milk or eggs.

You can make a egg substitute or buy one at whole foods that works well into most homeade products.

My son has the same issues, egg allergy, lactose intolerant, and a nut allergy too! It's not fun! But what I have done is basically make a lot of vegan foods. Whole Foods has a lot of products that are vegan which avoids the egg and dairy products. I also bought a book called the Vegan Lunchbox which has a lot of dairy and egg free recipes.
I know with my son he is able to eat a lot of processed things that contain egg (it depends on how much is in there). Maybe ask the allergist if this is possible with your son.
Dining out we eat a lot of chicken fingers, fries, and noodles with olive oil. I've personally found that most restaurants have been fairly accommodating with his needs. Hope at least some of this helps!

My daughter has a tree nut allergy so I know what your going thru. it's very hard and you have to read labels for everything, even things you wouldn't think, you'd be surprised...my daughter also just got an epi-pen, just in case.
Good Luck to you...

My son has an egg allergy. It was severe at one point, and we had to carry an epipen. He is now 4, and the allergy has improved to where we don't have to carry the epipen, but he does take Claritin every day. He is now allergic to the whites of the egg, and no longer the yolk. I know he's been exposed to egg when his eczema flares up, but the reaction is no where as severe as it used to be. So it can get better with age. The allergist thinks he will eventually outgrow the allergy altogether. Having said that, I made all my son's food and would carry it with me where ever I went. I made chicken and rice, beef and vegetables, etc. I would make food once a week, and stash it in the freezer for meals or to warm and take with us when going out. Hope this helps.

Try NAET...you'll never do anyhting else. It eliminates the allergies after being tested through muscle checking. It is non invasive and works! Drfergang.com is in Weston. She is the best one as far as I have seen.

Consider him lucky as the menstruation of a chicken isn't really meant for human consumption. Either is the secretion from a lactating cow or other animal besides human. Processed/packaged food may seem convenient but are detrimental towards health, especially for a growing child.
The best thing to do is offer your child healthy fresh fruits, veggies, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. One person suggested the book Vegan Lunch Box, that's an idea. Really any vegan cookbook will do. I strongly suggest staying away from flour and sugar products too. They cause congestion and bloating and allergies (flour) and they also weaken the immune system, sugar is sooooooo unhealthy. You're lucky you found out now, he's not quite 2 years old, his taste buds are developing, you are creating his present AND future health by what you feed him to grow and properly develop.
Did you know that President Clinton is now on a 99.99% plant based diet? If the past President of the United States, a Rhodes Scholar figured out that's the healthiest diet, certainly us regular folk can too?
If you'd like some specific cookbooks, I've got tons, let me know.

1 / 3