2 Yr Old Won't Stop Coughing

Hey all-
I took my baby to the Dr. yesterday and he was DX with double ear infection and put on antibiotic- his first one...he had a dose yesterday and a dose today and he still will not stop coughing....I know he is miserable- he won't let me put him down. I've tried everything- humidifier, elevating his head, triaminic, homeopathic rememdies....nothing helps- he seriously sounds like he is coughing up his lungs....I assumed after 2 doses of the antibiotic he would be doing much better. Any suggestions? (He's on cefdinir) generic for Omnicef. He also takes whole foods multi vitamin and probiotic...

Thanks for the responses- I took him in today after no improvement and they ordered a chest X-ray- he has pnuemonia!!! They didn't hear anything when they listened to his chest- but the X-ray showed 2 spots on his lungs! UGH- my poor baby! They gave him rocefin shots - hopefully it will clear up and we wont have to have another one. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Trying rubbing Vick vapor rub on the bottom of the feet at night and cover feet with socks. It helps with my 2yr.

I'd get him some childerns musinex. sounds like hes trying to cough something up.

My son had pnumonia when he was about 18 months old so I know what yer going through just keep him as comfortable as possible, my son was also found to have asthma at around 2.5yrs so keep an eye on that.

My two girls have had problems with a constant, dry cough (not sure if your problem is a productive cough or a dry cough) intermittently for the past two years. My kids would get the cough along with a cold, ear infection, etc. We were living in FL when it began and the doctors there mentioned the possibility of "allergy induced asthma." When I saw a doctor here in GA about it, he said it was a "reactive airway" problem. Anyways, the only thing that gives them relief when this cough occurs is liquid Albuterol. My kids do well with it, but it can make your child hyper. If the cough continues, you may ask your doctor about it.

Have you changed to natural cleaners yet? Especially laundry since they are on and around baby always. Sometimes that can be a real irritant. I agree with Mimi's suggestions as well.

Hope he feels better soon!

K. B

www.shaklee.net/takecontrol/getclean

Hi Nikki,

You need to get him to an upper cervical chiropractor immediately. The immune system needs to be able to fight off infection and if he's been coughing this much, I'm sure his spine, the lifeline to the immune system, has been compromised. My oldest daughter had ear infections and that's the only thing that helped.

Have you tried tea tree oil in the humidifier? If you haven't, get the highest grade you can find. Also the tea? And Beta Glucan is safe for toddlers. That works when nothing else does and it's always my first line of defense if routine has failed. And I know YOU know to double up on the probiotics for the antibiotic :) You didn't say which homeopathic things so I'm just shooting ideas!

Hope you little man feels better....and sleeps!

M. :)
www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

We have been through this countless times... it usually takes a day or so for my LO to start feeling better. Watch out for diahrea. My little guy always gets it following the antibiotic on day 2. You might be a little luckier though! Best wishes!!

You seem to be doing everything that I do. The only other thing I do is get those sudafed advanced air plug ins. It releases a non-medicated menthol vapor into the air and it seems to help ease his cough. I have also started using vicks on LO's chest and feet as he is old enought now. I do this right before he goes to bed. I think these both help. I dont know about using them at the same time... you might ask your pediatrician.

Hope your little one is feeling better!!

Having had two children go through the same thing, my heart goes out to you. Good news is, it gets better as they get older. It seems weird that this request came up today because I just got an e-mail from a friend that is an elementary school counselor & she was sharing some advice for persistent cough in children. It said that you generously coat his feet with Vicks Vapor Rub & put socks over them when he goes to sleep. It is suppose to work 100% of the time to stop the coughing & gives him comforting sleep. If you want, I can e-mail you the article, just let me know. I have not tried it, but it may be worth a try. I would ask a phearmacist if it is safe for a child your son's age. Good Luck & enjoy him while he's little. :)

Have you or your doctor considered that he may have asthma? My son had a cough for forever it seemed so I took him back to the doctor, who diagnosed him with childhood asthma. He was 2 at the time and was put on a nebulizer (looks like an oxygen mask) when needed. His coughing stopped even though the asthma diagnosis upset me. He's doing much better today at 5.

Hey N.,

He may need a stronger antibiotic. My daighter is completely immune to Amoxicillin, but so am I and both of my brothers. It usually takes 24hrs for antibiotics to kick in. Did the Dr. listen to him when you went there? Were his lungs clear? I'd call your Dr. and let them know that he is still miserable and coughing. Ear infections are the pits. They hate laying down b/c the pressure hurts. Even if his lungs sound clear you may want to insist on chest x-rays just to be on the safe side.

1 / 3