May 15, 2010,
K.O. asks from Roseville, MI on October 29, 2007
2 Yr. Old Swallowed Gum
My 2 year old found a peice of Trident gum. It was still in the rapper. I know that because he had it in his hand when he showed it to me. Anyway, the little pooper was able to chew it up and swallow it. That was about 5 hrs. ago and now when he burps he smells minty. Actually his breath kinda just smells minty in general. Is that weird? I assume that nature will runs it course I don't have any reason to freak out - right?
**Please don't get down me for the found gum I feel bad enough already....
C.S. answers from Detroit on October 30, 2007
lol what kid doesn't at one time or another do this, I wouldnt worry or feel guilty, he should be fine. I remember when I watched my niece one day when she was 2 and I didnt have kids yet, I freaked and took her to the doctor cause she picked a old piece of gum up from the parking lot and ate and swallowed it, I thought she would get some type of illness from it. :)
O.W. answers from Los Angeles on May 15, 2010
My 22 month old daughter did the same thing this morning she got into my purse and ate 3 sticks of gum :( i feel terrible, i even feel like throwing up. I hope shes ok.
Moms recommend the following deals from Mamapedia:
J.L. answers from Detroit on October 30, 2007
I have three kids who have swallowed billions and billions of pieces of gum. Including my 22 month old. They have all survived. The only thing with gum is the body doesn't break it down. So when it comes out you can see what it was. Not really a big issue. So don't worry about it.
T.M. answers from Detroit on October 29, 2007
as long as nature continues to run it course don't worry--my kids have swallowed lots of gum in the past
A.G. answers from Detroit on October 30, 2007
I remember being a kid and chewing Trident gum with the wrapper still on. I think the Trident people designed the wrapper so that you could chew it. I am not sure if this is the truth or what I believed years ago, but nevertheless I consumed the wrapper many times. Don't feel bad about the gum, just be relieved that it wasn't something inedible or dangerous.
R. answers from Detroit on October 29, 2007
...if I had a dollar for every piece of gum my kids have swallowed...
J.C. answers from Detroit on October 30, 2007
No, things will be just fine and the gum will pass in a few days. Sticky poop! My daughter did the same thing. Don't be so hard on yourself.
C.C. answers from Detroit on November 01, 2007
He will be fine, don't worry! It happens all of the time. :)My son is now 4 and has swallowed at least 20 pieces of gum. He didn't find any gum until he was 3, but chews it well now, and swallows it most of the time. I really doubt there is any danger of gum being in the stomach. There was that stupid myth that it stays in the stomach for long periods of time, but it was just that- a myth!