2 Yr. Old Son Puts Everything in His Mouth!

I'm so frustrated and worried that some day my 2 yr. old is going to ingest something that's going to be a big health problem. Is it normal for a kid this age to still be puting everything in his mouth? He'll go in the bathroom and drink his shampoo, open my hair spray bottle and drink it, same with contact solution. Luckily, I have caught him in time before it's alot but I worry what if one time it's too late. He ate the top off his Crayola marker, and puts almost all his toys in his mouth as well. Every room in our house has a door knob lock to prevent him from getting into any more trouble.

My daughter does the same thing! It seems that some kids are just like that. I just try to babyproof everything as well as I can and watch her like a hawk.

E.,

It is perfectly normal for 2 year olds to put things in their mouths. That's why the Consumer Products Safety Commission says toys with small parts are not for children under 3. My youngest son is 4 and sometimes he will still put things in his mouth, only to be silly of course but he does it. I would put all toxic solutions, etc out of his reach until you are comfortable that he is over this stage.

Hello,
I also have preemies and I have found that it is common for preemies to have sensory issues. Although it's common to put things in their mouths, my children with the most sensory problems are the worst about it (my 6 YO constantly has her hair in her mouth and my 5 YO always has her hands in her mouth.)

You might want to read The Out of Sync Child, which explains sensory problems, and it's subsequent book has many many sensory activities. At that age my daughters especially loved the bean and rice box. I put different kinds of dried beans and rice and some small toys buried in it all. Treasure hunting was the most fun! She also liked pouring things from one cup to the other and feeling empty/full/heavy/light. I put a table cloth down and the box on top. I used one with a locking lid. Stay right with him!!

You can put a heavy toy or a can of food in a backpack and have him wear it around. Have him push/pull something that makes him use his muscles.

Get a big ball and have him lay on top while you roll it forward and backward, so he feels his hands touch the floor and then his feet.

They also like the hot dog play. I had a yoga mat and retrieved some different kinds of cooking utensils (pastry brush, whisk, spaghetti spoon, ect.) The child lays on the mat and you can say "Oh, look, a lovely hotdog. What should we eat on our hotdog? Each of the different utensils are mayo, mustard ketchup, ect. You can tap, brush, ect on the child with each one. Then it's time to roll up the bun! Roll the child up tightly in the blanket or mat and roll the child back and forth.

Playdough (ad scissors, cookie cutters, and a plastic knife,) use fingers to paint with whip cream colored with jello granuals and finger painting and stamping with watercolors.

The idea is that with more things in his sensory diet he may not feel the need to chew on things so much.

You can get something like the springy plastic key chain bracelet to give him something to chew on. That way it's with him always. Redirect him to chew on that.

S., born at 36 weeks, wife to a 26 week preemie, mom to 4 girls born at 32,34,36,37 weeks.

This is the age where children discover the world through their senses, and it is very common for him to be putting everything in his mouth to satisfy his curiousity. Baby proof everything. This time will pass. Check with your pediatrician for additional feedback.

Sounds like a question for the pediatrician. I think you have reason for concern. It may be necessary to put all fluids out of reach or in locked cabinets for awhile. You also might want to keep some Ipecac syrup on hand just in case of emergency (not sure what the age limit is for using that) so again sounds like you might want to check with the pediatrician on this one.

Yes, children this age growing up are experiencing more texture and the way things feel and they will continue this. Do you have the child proof locks on things and only put things in his reach that you do not mind him playing with? This may help with him getting into your stuff if you lock it up then he won't be able to get it. You can also inform him that the shampoo and hair spray is moms, so please do not touch. Boys are a lot more freer than girls but I have a girl and she does somethings for attention. We have put her stuff she is suppose to get in her reach and some things we just tell her to do not touch. We are still working on this because it is a growing process and it comes with motherhood so don't give up. Your voice tone will have to change when you say' "no please don't that or put that down because that can hurt you." Please remember, you can not really be in all places at all times (even though we need to clone ourselves) so do your self a favor and move all of your chemical materials before anything occurs and you really feel worse than what you already do. I know it will work for you.

Mother-to-Mother
Q

If my daughter wasn't putting it in her mouth, she was licking it!! She's just now starting to 'grow out' of that stage. We had to take her to the ER once b/c she was licking/eating the lotion I'd apply in the mornings/evenings. Our pediatrician & daycare teachers said it was a normal 'stage/phase' and to just watch her as carefully as possible. Hopefully he'll move on to something else soon - I know how frustrating it can be! :)

Have you tried talking to his pediatrician? My daughter is 2 and she is pretty limited to the mouth, unless it looks like a bottle. Any bottle is game and she can almost get all the lids off, so we really have to be careful where we put things. I had a pediatrician suggest once that I label things that were for in her mouth with stickers for her. Hopefully it is a phase and will be over soon.

R.

1 / 3