2 Yr Old Has Lump on Collar bone..anyone Else Had This?

My 2 yr old son has a lump/bump right on his collarbone. I think his sister actually had it when she was that young and it eventually went away...although I saw it back on her a month or two ago, it is not prominent and disappears. On the 2 year old it is alwasy there. It is small. I'm not that worried about it but my mother is pressuring me to take him to a bone specialist. I'm starting to feel guilty b/c she asks me daily if I've made an appointment. Does anyone know what this could be? Or if it sounds serious to you? It doesn't seem to hurt him. You might think it was a lymph node because its is small and round, but since it is right on the collar bone, I'm not sure if it might be bone related. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, A.

It could just be a small benign cyst, I had one on my elbow in my teens that I had taken out. And I have another one around my ankle that is coming out next week, that one got bigger when I was pregnant and has since shrunk back down. I would take him to his doctor first, don't go crazy and go to a bone specialist unless his doctor recommends it.

Probably benign, but always have stuff like this looked at. Someone in their response said that there aren't lymph nodes there and that is not true. There in fact ARE lymph nodes that reside just barely above the collar bone. They are called supraclavicular nodes. Take him to the pediatrician first. Like I said, I'm sure it's fine, but don't take a chance on it.

I have a student in my class that recently broke her collarbone and it looks exactly like what you described. She has to wear a sling for 3 weeks and when I asked her if it hurt, she said "Nope, it just felt weird (when it happened).". Hope this helps!

Please take your child to the doctor, and the older child too, if her lump is coming back periodically. I do not wish to frighten you unneccessarily, but my son came to me with a similar bump on his neck/collarbone area and when the tests were done we learned he had lymphoma. Six years later and finally cancer-free we are so glad he did go to the doctor. The chances of a second family member developing it are increased over the general population although I am told it is not a purely genetic link. Please let me know what you find out.

Definately scary, and if you're like me you want to not worry unecessarily, but at the same time check it out thoroughly to make sure it's really OK.

My son had something very similar on his sternum over a couple of years ago. There was (and still is) a lump, like a raised asyemmetrical protrusion just on one side of his breastplate. I took him to his dr. who referred us for a chest x ray. Turned out they said nothing serious, but was likely a over calified growth possibly from an injury. Like the body's "over healing".

So I worried more thinking what horrible thing did I do to allow him to get injured. About 6 mos. prior he fell off a golf cart (long other story, with an older cousin, dad supervising) He had the wind knocked out of him but no other signs/symptoms of anything else. We didn't even take him to the ER. Dr. said that this may likely been the hit that caused the "over healing" but nothing to worry about. And that even if I had taken him to the ER they wouldn've found anything. (I still feel bad, though).

But, I still watch it and he's almost 6 now. It happened when he was 4.

K. M

Sounds like maybe a bond spur or maybe some kind of injury to his collarbone, I would probably take him to the doctor, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any lynph nodes or anything on that part of the neck, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Take him to the doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter also had a bump on her collar bone at age 2, and I racked my brain thinking of what it could have been. It wasn't soft, but very hard...well, needless to say I took her to the doctor and he prescribed a x-ray to in the E.R....I was terrified!!! But, it turned out that she had a broken collar bone, and she was perfectly fine...she didn't cry or was in any pain and eventually it went away and she now has a healthy collar bone!! Oh by the way there was nothing they can do about it, it just healed on its own...but, the x-ray was a huge peace of mind...so go get it x-ray...for your own peace of mind!!

1 / 3