2 Yr Old Coughing at Night

My 2 year old is hacking at night and early in the morning when she goes to bed. She is not complaining and does not have a fever or anything so I can't figure it out. This has been going on for a few weeks.

My 4 year old went through that and his Doctor recently diagnosed him with asthma. The doctor told me when he was a year old he might have asthma, but it was too early to diagnose it. Has she had this problem before? My son had mucus on his lungs when he was less than a month old, then at a year old he got bronchitis. Last year he had a really bad cough and I put him back on his inhaler and it cleared up, then about two months ago he got a cold and then came the really bad cough. He also had mucus on his lungs again. We put him back on the inhalers and it cleared up. It seems that his colds cause his asthma to flare up.

Hello T.,

My son is 1 1/2, and he has been doing hte same thing. His pediatrician said it could be from the heater being on and the room getting stuffy and to warm. He said it was nothing to be worried about. If it really bothers him and he gets cranky I gove him Robatussin cough nighttime. I think the pediatric one is like 1 teaspoon for 2 year olds. Hope this helps, let me know what happens.

T. -
Your best bet is to just take her to the doctor. I had a problem with this as a child, as did my younger sister, and we were both diagnosed with asthma shortly thereafter (in many children, asthma presents itself as a hacking cough, not a shortness of breath, with no pain or discomfort accompanying the cough). Her cough could be something as small as a virus that wont go away or simple allergies, or it could be something more serious such as bronchitis or asthma. Taking him to the DR will give you a for sure answer, whether serious or not,
Better safe than sorry.

Hi T.. My son started doing this too and it turned out to be bronchitis. Has your child ever had this before? It may be an onset of this. Sometimes, my son still starts hacking at night and I get nervous that its another bout of bronchitis coming on. Take her to the pediatrician and see if he can find out what's going on. Don't wait for too long. W/b and let me know what's going on. Good luck and Best Wishes, T.

Hi T.,

If kids have certain problems (i.e. sinus congestion) it is very common for them to cough only at certain times, especially bedtime. My son does the same thing, so it probably isn't anything to serious. I would recomend just giving her some medicine for congestion and see if that helps. If not, you may want to consider taking her to the doctor for some prescription medication. Good luck with that!

Is it possible she has become alergic to something in her room? Have you changed her bedding or even your laundry soap lately? It's also possible something got on her hair and is now on her pillow. I would wash all her bedding in hot water and if that doesn't work, try eliminating anything that might cause an alergic reaction. Hopefully that will stop her coughing.

Have you had her checked for asthma? I know that's one of the symptoms. My son has asthma and he has the most trouble at night. He doesn't even realize that he's coughing all night long if we don't give him a breathing treatment. I would definitely tell your doctor and have her checked, it could get serious.

Hello T.. I'm not quite sure what it is...could be allergies, or a small case of asthma or bronchitis? I would definitely take her to the doctor to have her checked out. Hope that helps!

I would take him to a doctor, my son did this too for about 2 months. I finally took him in and he was diagnosed with really mild asthma.

1 / 3