2 Yr Old Complaining Things Are Too Loud

I am trying to find other parents out there who have gone through this same problem. My 2 yr has started complaining of certain things being too loud. It started out as small things like the blow dryer when I would blow dry her hair. I have it on the lowest setting when I blow dry her hair. Then it would be the blender but I don't use it that often. The next thing was the noise of the shopping cart over the parking lot pavement. Every time this happens she puts her hands over her ears and keeps saying mommy that too loud. I know she can hear perfectly fine. She doesn't complain that she can't hear you. She verbalizes extremely well. She talks better than some kids her own age or older. So anyways, after she complained about the cart I made her a appt. to see her Dr. I love her Dr and he just said that he thought it was a phrase she was going through and all since she wasn't doing it on a regular bases and doing it every day. So we took his word for it and left. Well that appt was 2 wks ago and things have been ok since. Well this week we have some issues. My husband will have his computer on watching a tv show but won't have the volume up loud at all. But we will also have the tv on to her shows in the late evening. Well she kept telling us the computer was too loud. We put the computer on mute and she still said it was too loud. That went on for about 5-8 minutes of it is too loud. Yesterday we had the tv on but my husband was playing his playstation 3. My daughter was here in the living room sitting with me and she kept putting her hands over her ears and complaining it was too loud. My husband even unplugged the small fan we have to help cool off all the cable box and all. But she still said it was too loud. She looked at me at one point and looked as if she was going to cry. I don't know what to do. My husband seems to think it is a phrase like the dr said. But I just don't know. If any of you could share some info it would be very much appreciate.

Maybe she just needs some quiet time. Try having some time set aside each day where computer, tv, video games, music, etc. is all off and it's just quiet. Perhaps just life in general and all the noise that fills it is overwhelming her at the moment.

We went through this with my nephew for about 3 years. He had drowned at roughly 18 months old and within two months after that he started the same thing. He is still sensitive to certain vibrations but not nearly to the same degree.
It has to due with the vibrations she is receiving, not so much the loudness of the sound.

It may be a phase - but you need to look out for Asperger's syndrome and autism. Issues with noise can be a characteristic of those medical conditions. You might want to get a list of characteristics and see if your child develops other ones. My son has issues with noise, and has a few other autistic "tendencies", but he was not diagnosed with the condition. His tendencies do impact his social interactions with others, and his interpretation of concepts at school. Alot of the issues didn't really surface until middle school. My son also has a problem with ear wax buildup - and if his ears aren't "equal" in ear wax he complains more about noise (I know this sounds strange - but to him its real). He complains about people "breathing too loud".

My son is going thru the same thing. It started when he was 3 and we kinda just dismissed it until he started school and it started to cause problems there. He would be afraid to go into the lunch room or into the gymnasium bc it was was just too loud. His biggest annoyance seemed to be the toilet flushing. He hated the sirens at parades too. I took him to his dr and she concluded that he had a sensory disorder. Everything seems extremely loud to him when it really isn't. There wasn't anything we could do about but wait for him to get used to it and learn to accept it. He is 7 now and still has small issues with loud noises but NOTHING like when he was small. I hope this helps =]

My 3 year old says the same thing & my wife and I are concerned. Having read the answers we can try and work out what the issue is.

Hi I know that your concern has been over almost 2 years ago, but I'm curious if your child was just going through a 'phase' or if she was ever diagnosed with anything. My three year old is going through the same phase. Doctor is telling me it's 'sensory'. It's unusual, since It can be very quiet and my child will cover his ears with his hands reacting to loud noise.

My son has been doing much the same thing. He does not like the sound of blow dryers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, motorcycles, etc. We have told him that if it is too loud, he can leave the room and go where it is quieter, or he can cover his ears. He seems to be fine with that. It seems to give him some measure of control over it.

She could just have sensitive hearing, where she can hear things that most people can't. My husband often hears things that I can't, such as the picture tube on the television. It is not necessarily a sensory disorder. If it is only noises and nothing else seems to be going on, I would say it is just a phase. What is your mommy instinct telling you?

I assume the doctor checked her ears. If you have an ear infection or fluid behind the ears, it can make you sensitive to loud noises. My daughter, who could verbalize so well at that age had that issue when she had a nasty ear infection.
It can also be a sign of a sensory disorder. My son who is having major problems in school this year always complained of loud noises. We are in the process of having him tested for several things.
It could be a bid for attention/control.
I would continue to monitor it. Does it occur anytime there is a loud noise, or the kind of noise she is now complaining about? Even if she is distracted? First Steps eval may not hurt, especially if you are seeing other problems. It could be she gets easily overstimulated. If all this was going on in the evening, maybe she was tired, and just a little less able to cope with things.
R.

it really does souund like a sensory disorder. I have issues also and even some peoples voices are like that to me. I am not sure if there is anything you can do to help this or not but you might want to consider getting ear plugs for the times you know you will have to dry her hair or go to the store. It's just a thought and a real condition and she will outgrow some of this.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter did the same thing for about 3 months. Blow dryers, vacuums etc....she'd watch Dora and be fine and then suddenly it was "too loud". I finally figured out the saying "too loud" was her way of saying she was scared of Swiper and other noises. It had nothing to do with the sound itself but in trying to learn about emotions and how to express them. Once she had the vocabulary to name how she was feeling and could recognize it, she stopped. She now sits next to me while I blow dry by hair or vacuum. The mixer is still "too loud" but only I suspect because I don't cook often enough. :-) I wouldn't worry unless there are other issues you are noticing too.

1 / 3