2 Yr Old Complaining of Knee Pain – Could It Be More than Growing Pain?

My 2 ½ year old wakes up almost every night crying/complaining of knee pains. This is nothing new – he has had knee pain on a regular basis for probably over a year now. My pediatrician chalked it up to growing pains since he is fine during the day running/jumping/climbing. I am just concerned it might be something more.

Not much you could do but on rare occasions it could be a early onset of arthritis, i was told i had it at age 8 so depending on family history and other factors it is possible.

Please get a second opinion. Two year olds are busy and growing pains may be just the prognisis, but, waking up almost every night sounds too extreme to dismiss just yet. Bringing him to an orthopaedic dr. might help too. Hindsdale Orthopaedics (quite a few locations) are very nice and thorough. You may want to get some blood work done for peace of mind, too. Good luck.

I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU! Sorry about the caps but I just want to make sure that is clear. My daughter complained of knee pain (In fact I asked this same ? of the moms when she was about this age) she would wake up screaming. Her legs would hurt some the next day but not enough to interfere with her daily activities. Dr. told us the same thing it's growing pains or she probably ran around to much and her muscles are a little sore etc. This went on for almost year and then she started having chest pains. She would tell me her heart was beeping and when I would put my hand on her chest I could feel it pounding. Long story short and after a lot of testing she was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome. She has been hospitalized several times with heart complications and will be on medication to slow her heart rate most likely for the rest of her life. While I am glad we got the diagnosis I kick myself constantly for not listening to that little voice that kept telling me it was more then growing pains. If you think it might be something more please don't just take the Dr. word for it. No one knows your child better then you do and sometime Dr. get it wrong. Good Luck!

Both of my children had knee pain & growing pains. I took them to see a chiropractor, he said their knee's weren't tracking properly. For 2 months he repeatedly realigned their low back and knees. This treatment was not solving the problem. I took them to see an Orthopedic Surgeon who specialized in sports medicine. The Orthopedist sent my kids to Physical therapy with a sports medicine therapist. They went to physical therapy 3 x a week for 3 weeks. The therapist said "they'd probably never have the problems again." "BUT, if the pain did return, they needed to start the exercises again." The pains never returned. I'm a very lucky Mom!

Hi, K.!

My name is N.. I am a mother of two children, ages 19 years old and 13 years old. I am about to become a step mom to a 7 year old and a 2 year old.

I would highly suggest you see an orthopedic surgeon or at least suggest to your pediatrician to check for JRA. My daughter, who is now 13, started getting pain in her one knee at age 2. She woke up one morning and when I lifted her from her bed and stood her on the floor, she fell over! Long story short, my daughter was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis). She had a cyst in her knee as well (not sure how/if that related to the JRA) but the docs never chose to remove it. She was in a full leg to hip cast for a while, trying to fully extend her leg with the arthritis, since she could not fully extend that leg, due to the joint trouble. Then, we started getting cortisone shots in her knee and she began going into remission. Now, at age 13, she still has the JRA, but it is under total control. Many kids outgrow JRA. My daughter is very active in sports, mainly softball, and had been in softball for the past 7 years. The JRA does not hinder her ability in sports at all, thankfully.

About 4 months ago, her JRA flared up pretty badly and our Rheumatoid Specialist suggested we start her on Remicade infusions every 6 weeks. That sounded pretty devastating to me and her father, (and her as well, of course). I had my daughter start drinking MonaVie Active and it has hugely improved her condition, and she has not needed any infusions or other treatments at all. The JRA is in total remission as a result of the MonaVie and we are thrilled!

Also, know that JRA can sometimes also bring along an eye disease (more common in young girls with JRA, than in boys wih JRA) called iridiocyclitis. My daughter has the eye disease, which we found almost immediately after her diagnosis of JRA. The eye disease is the bigger concern for us and her now, and for the rest of her life, she will be taking eyedrops in her eyes two and three times per day! Fortuntaely there has been no loss of sight and she does not need glasses either, so we really have had everything under control over the years.

I tell you all of this, not to alarm you, but to make you aware of other possibilities. Your son's discomfort in his knees, may very well be just growing pains. My son, at around age 4-5 felt that too, and it was just growing pains, but as I said, my daughter was a much different story.

Unfortunately, (in my opinion) too many doctors are real quick to make false diagnosises (I know there is another word for that but I have NO idea what that word is) :)....and I would rather have you be safe and rule out all other possibilities of what his ailment could be.

I hope this helps! :)

If you have questions, feel free to email me directly at ____@____.com.

Enjoy your day!

I would have her be evaluated by a pediatric chiropractor first. The initial consult is usually free. So worth it!

I know this is an old post and I'm curious if your child still has these pains and if you found out the cause. My son also had terrible knee pains in his right knee, from 18 months until 2.5. When he was diagnosed with celiac disease and we put him on the gluten free diet....since then, there's been no pain in his joints.

I would pay attention to how the soles and inside- exterior of his shoes are wearing. If you notice that one portion of the soles are wearing out (especially from one side to the other) or there is a large number of scuffs on the inside- exterior (where his feet face each other). It could be a joint issue. I come from a somewhat tall family and my brother and I both had sever growing pains (especially at night) during our childhoods. However, I was also born with a degenerative hip disease (that caused pain in my knees and ankels) that was not caught until I was in my early 20's and one of the major signs was how I walked and the way my shoes wore. Hope this helps.

Did you ever find out what this is? My daughter gets it when she has had wheat or gluten and I so wonder if that is what is happening. Thanks,

If you're not satisfied with your pediatrician's response, remember to question them and get another opinion. No one doctor is perfect, just like the rest of us.
I would consult with a child orthopedic.

1 / 3