2 YO Swimmer?

I was wondering does anyone have a 2 yo or younger who can swim? This is the first year I will have a child this young to take in the pool on a daily basis and I was wondering is it possible for him to learn this early. He absolutely loves the water, and during bath he kicks well for swimming, but he not learned how to hold his breath. I've tried blowing in his face as well as exaggerate my facial movements while taking a really deap breath, holding it and then blowing out. He mimics me but holds his breath for a spit second before he blows out. I already bought really good swim wear which has the foam in the vest which he loves wearing in the bath. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

I want to thank everyone who responded. I have looked into the amazing job ISR apparently does. Some of those videos are absolutely amazing. ISR definately looks like the best way to go. Again... Thank You!

i have two girls now 19 and 22 i started them swimming when they were just about 5 months old (in laws had a pool - better safe then sorry).they really excelled in that sport the rest of their teen yaers doing local summer swim team.Now my youngest is a life guard at that same pool.teaching others to swim.also try having him blow bubbles in the water this helps and is fun for them too.

my little girl swims since she was 16 months. I took her to a private instructor that teaches the ISR method. She was swimming and done with classes within 5 weeks. I am very thankful to have found this program. It was recommended to me by my pediatrician. Here is the link for it, through it you can find an instructor near you. http://www.infantswim.com/

You should consider signing your 2 yo up for survival swim lessons (ISR). Regardless of if you have a pool or not, you can never be too careful when it comes to preventing drownings. We have done the lessons with all three of our boys. Before anything they learn how to roll over and float. After six weeks of lessons, my 2 yo was swimming (he is 4 now). Most importantly though, he has the skills to survive if he silently slipped into the pool which is what happened to our 3 yo cousin that very summer - he drowned.

In my opinion these lessons are wonderful and produce results, unlike traditional swim lessons (which we did with our oldest until we found out about ISR). I highly recommend them, and we are very fortunate here in Tucson to have a plethora of certified ISR instructors.

Toss the foam vest (false sense of security and puts your child in the wrong position - vertical - to learn how to swim) and sign up for the lessons. Check out their website!

Blessings to you!

Yes! Sandia Swimming pool has classes as early as 6 months old! They are great there and it is great to have your child swimming so early!.

D.,

I would highly recommend to teach him to swim a this age. My friend teaches private swim lessons and says the best time to learn is when they are at least 1 1/2 yrs. She starts by letting them blow bubbles in the water and then putting their face in it. Then they kick on the side of he pool. It is too dangerous to not teach them to swim since there are so many pools here in Phoenix.My daughter learned from her. She was afraid and overcame her fear.The last lesson they get thrown in the water with their clothes on since that is the way they would fall in if it were an accident. Also they are tught to either swim to the wall or the steps which ever are closer not to the closest person since they may not be a strong swimmer. I hope that helps a little bit.have fun!

Janet

My daughter learned how to swim last summer and she was two. We went to private lessons at a woman's house and she basically threw them in the water and showed them how to breathe, kick, etc. She didn't do as much with her arms, but more teaching her how to swim underwater and get to the side. She learned this all in a week and a half. She screamed the entire time, as did my son, but they learned. We never took more lessons because they had done so well and learned the basics. We still kept both of them in floating swimming suits when we were alone in the pool with them, but if both my husband and I were in the water they swam without the suits. I will try to get the woman's info, I need to get it too for a refresher course for my kids!

My son was not even walking (less than a year) when he wiggled out of my grasp, went under water and started swimming. Kids really don't need to be "taught" how to hold their breath, if you start young enough. They just do it instinctively. The hard part was getting him to stop under water because he would run into the pool at the side or I'd worry about him running out of air and not knowing what to do, so I'd always be with him and ready for him.. He was just like a little fish, totally amazing, and I think most babies are this way if we just let them and don't transfer our own fears.

Two things...

First, watch this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdOYMf0SAq4

Then (if you like what you see), go to this web-site and enter your zip code to find a private instructor in your area:

http://www.infantswim.com/home.html

They specialize in teaching small children (even under 1 year) how to self-rescue. If your son is going to be around water, I highly encourage you to sign him up for these lessons...

1 / 3