2 Year old...can I Give Cold Medication?

Hi Ladies
I know a few years ago they took the infant cold medications off the shelf. However (for some reason) was under the impression that once a child turned 2, you were allowed to give them something besides Tylonal or Motrin to help with cold symptoms. I briefly went to the grocery store (not walgreens) and the only thing I saw was "for children 6 and older". I was completely SHOCKED and was thinking if my kid is sick with a cough WHY do I have to wait until she is 6. The box said 36lbs for a 6 year old. My child is almost 30. If I give her 1/2 the dosage, would that be safe? I do plan on consulting my doctor about this, but i have a feeling they will error on the non lawsuit side and say NO WAY....what did you moms do? I am already giving her Motrin at night and Baby Vic's on her chest but that doesnt seem to help with her cought or the stuffines.
One last thing....what is the difference between Baby Vic's and the normal adult Vic's?? They smelled the same but I didnt compare the boxes.

Try using Saline Nasal Spray, a Cold Air Humidifier, elevate the head of the bed and tons of fluids. I dont use the Vic's on anyone it can constrict the air ways and actually make things worse.

I was just told by a pharamacist that there is no safe cold med for a 2 yr. old. So better to play it safe. We stuck with the cool mist vaporizer, vics on his chest, and those vapor patches that go into the plug in for an outlet, which REALLY REALLY helped his cough at night. Push lots of fluids too. For whatever the reasons these OTC drugs have been found unsafe for kids under age 4-6, and with the way this country is so drug crazy that says all I need to know. Play it safe mom :)

Check www.askdrsears.com

They are a family of reputable pediatricians/authors, who typically steer toward natural solutions, etc.

On their website, however, they have a section called the Medicine Cabinet, and it will list all medications safe for babies/kids and the dosages by weight/age.

I always consult this before giving my son anything...

And yes, doctors and pharmacists have to err on the side of not getting sued by the dumbass who overdosed their kid by not adhering to the proper dosing info. And no, cold medications have not been proven to work in children, and some are definitely unsafe if overdosed. But check the website, and see what it says.

There is also a natural formula used for toddlers/kids of all ages in Europe that we can now get here. I've even seen it at Walmart. It's called Sinupret. It's supposed to be wonderful. We have family in England, and they swear by it. Just another option.

Nope. No way. Never.
It is NEVER safe to try to make your own dosage. This is exactly one of the reasons (along with NO proof they actually work in kids) why no one under 6 can have cold medication. People were like doubling and tripleing the infant dosage and the infant stuff is WAY more concentrated and kids were getting dangerous amounts of the active ingredients.
If your pediatrician agrees to give her meds and tells you a dosage, I would switch pediatricians. It's just not safe.

Better to prop the crib, run cool mist, push fluids and make her comfortable.

I do. I give my daughter and expectorant when she is congested. It keeps her from getting an ear infection on top of her cold and has worked great for us for the last year and a half. We discussed it with our ped and though he was sceptical, she did not have an ear infection since.
As far as dosing, you can find charts online or call your pediatrician for the correct dosage.

When my son was a year old he had a bad cold and the doctor prescribed him medicine. Over the next two colds I used it up. When I was at his 2 year appt, I asked the doctor if I could use regular children's. He was very hesitant but told me to be very careful about dosage. I asked him why the major concern and he said parents were ODing their kids. If you look at the box, it tells you the dosage is for 6-12 year olds. I give my son cold medicine at night when he is sick but I give him 1-2 syrynge fulls that come with the baby motrin. It is a very conservative dose and it helps him sleep through the night. Sometimes I give him benedyrl in the same conservative dose on nights he is really sick. He is 2 1/2 by the way and 32 lbs. You just have to be very very careful. Some moms may say I am being reckless but I think the best medicine is rest and if your child is not resting at night he can not get better.

My pedi gave me a chart for giving my daughter childrens benadryl for cold symptoms. I'm pretty sure the bottle says not to give it to a child under 4(?) and my daughter is 2. I feel like all the medecines have raised the age of when you can take them, probably for liability reasons. Check with your doctor, he/she may give you a dosing chart.

NO! Please do not give her cough and cold medication.

Please also consult either AAP.org (website for the American Academy of Pediatrics) or HealthyChildren.com (AAP's parenting website).

There were serious issues with overdosage, and the FDA changed the indications (approved uses) for Cough/Cold medications to 6 and older to prevent serious side effects.

Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry almost a decade, I strongly encourage you to follow the advised recommendations and to simply manage her symptoms as best as possible with Tylenol/ibuprofen. It's hard to see your child struggle, our son is dealing with a bad cough right now, but the risks are too great.

Baby Vick's is less intense....

The dosage for under 6 year old kids, are not on the box, because of over medication and human error or fears of over dosage... and because a baby's or young Toddler's body cannot process/handle regular dosages.

That said, some Doc's will suggest Benadryl...in small doses.

BUT, if you go to natural food stores/Whole Foods etc., there are Homeopathic type cold medicines for kids.... maybe for babies or under 6 year old kids.
There is also something called "Little Noses" which is a nasal decongestant for children, and other types of cold syrups for children.
Hyland's also makes cold/cough syrups for kids.

all the best,
Susan

1 / 3