2 Year Old Won't Take Naps Anymore

I recently switched my two year old daughter to a toddler bed from her crib and now she isn't taking naps and I can't get her to even stay in the bed without having to sit right there...even then she won't fall asleep. Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having this same issue and how they resolved it if at all. I've had people tell me that she may just be "growing" out of her naps but at the end of the day it is very evident that she needs a nap. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for all of your great advise. After reading what everybody had to say I decided to try sitting in her room and reading a book while she lays in bed and that seems to be working pretty well. The first day i had to sit in there for about 1 hour and 45 minutes but it's getting better and there have been a few days that she didn't nap, but for the most part it's been pretty effective and it gives me a chance to have some reading time for myself. So, thanks again to everyone that responded.

Car Ride.

I have a 3 year old, who falls asleep like clockwork at preschool but at home, unless he is tired he won't sleep. But a car ride will do the trick. I use that when I want him to take a nap, otherwise, don't care. I prefer him to want to go to bed earlier if he has no nap.

hey don't feel bad, I have same issue with my 2 year old son. My husband recently switched the crib into toddled bed and for a little while he liked his bed but i said to him ok it's time to go nite nite and get a cupy of milk and lay him down or you could lay down on the flore by the bed, sometime it's work. or put a movie on and say mommy go lay down. i leave the room and don;t let her see you.
Well Good luck I hope this helps. L.
Let me know please here is e-mail ____@____.com

Be persistant. I had problems with my youngest not wanting to take a nap. Even when she clearly was tired. (I was operating a day care in my home so this was somewhat of a problem) I would put on some soft music and tell her it was time to rest. Then give her the blanket and pat her back. In about a week's time, she would grab her mat and blanket and lie down. I still had to pat her back for a little while longer but she would nap. Good Luck:)

We had the same problem around 2 with my son. I believe he was about 2 years 4 months at the time. Several other of my mom friends had this happen with their children at about the same age. Since it also was apparent that my son still needed a nap, I just stayed consistent in putting him down at the same time everyday, following the same routine. I would have to sit outside his door and put him back to bed a few times. Many days, he didn't sleep but our deal was that he needed to stay for one hour in his room. If he chose to play, then we just dealt with him being overtired later. Fortunately, after several weeks, things improved. He just turned 3 and naps for 2-3 hours everyday (occasionally not on the weekend - I guess because of the routine change). Oh yeah, we also started trying to do more active things with him in the morning hours so that he was more tired. On the days he has preschool, naps are simple because he's so tired from school. Good luck!

your daughter may not necessarily need to nap anymore, but she does need quiet time. my daughter took naps until she was 4, but my 3 yr old son doesn't nap anymore. put her in her room, with a book or quiet toys, and tell her she doesn't have to sleep, but she needs to stay in her room, be quiet and rest. 45 minutes to an hour is good. part of her refusal to nap is a power struggle, so giving her some control can help diffuse the situation. she may end up sleeping some days if she's really tired. hope this helps!

Have you tried the Super Nanny method yet? I know most people who try that- are successfull! :) I am switching my 2 1/2 year old daugther soon... I am excited, but scared at the same time! :) We just finished potty training in Jan. SO.. I figured it was time to get her outof the crib!!! :) Keep me posted- I'd love to know how it goes!!!!!

We also just switched our son to a toddler bed, he has no problem at night but did have problems napping. So we tried his pack-n-play for naps. I actually gave him a choice between the bed and the pack-n-play for his nap and he didn't choose his bed. For us we've decided that even if he doesn't sleep that he needs some quiet time in the afternoon to rest

My first question is did you switch her to potty train her? If not, perhaps she is too young to be in a bed just yet. When my oldest was 2 1/2, I potty trained her, so I had to put her in a bed, and it was hard at first. The first thing we did was put all toys, etc in the closet, so she couldn't get them. I spent a good week putting her for a nap with the door slightly open, and made an effort to keep an eye on her. As long as she was in her bed, I didn't worry to much, but she had to be nice and quiet. I told her "this is quiet time, and you have to stay in bed". I let her pick out 2 or 3 books, and told her I would take them away if she wasn't quiet. After a few days of this, she started falling asleep because she was so rested. And sometimes, even if she didn't fall asleep (it does happen some times ;}), she was nice and calm when it was time to get up. Think about the value of your child being able to be nice and calm and quiet for a few hours, it's been great for eating out and church. And, nap time isn't just for her, it's for you too, you need the break to sit down eat a healthy lunch, and get done some things that you can't do when she's up and about!

This isn't much but... it might help. I have twins. At that age we switched beds too and I worried. But my kids knew that when they woke up from their nap they could choose a piece of candy from the candy drawer. It was such a given it became one word "after-nap-candy". I didn't offer candy as a reward for napping exactly, just reminded them of our routine.
It worked amazingly well.

My two year old started fighting naps a couple of months ago, so now we have "rest time". He can read books, or I read to him, but he has to stay down and rest for an hour. We moved his bedtime up a bit to make up for the sleep he's not getting during the nap so he still gets about 12 1/2 hours of sleep a day.

I had this same problem with my daughter and fought it for a long time, then I just realized she was done with naps and made her bed time a little earlier. That worked. Good luck!

1 / 3