2 Year Old Won't Drink Milk Anymore

We stopped, cold-turkey, giving our 2.5 year old daughter a baby bottle and now she won't drink any milk at all! She went from about 4 to 5 cups of milk a day to none. It's been almost two weeks now and although she's eating more and drinking more water I really want her to drink some milk too! I think she's lost some weight too but that could just be my own paranoia. Perhaps cold turkey wasn't the best strategy but what is done is done and I hesitate to give in and let her have it back. We tried taking her to the market and letting her pick out her own sippy cup, that didn't work. We tried explaining that the bottles needed to go to the babies, she didn't buy that either. Any moms out there have a similar story or advice? We could use it!

Often as they get older the Milk has to be really cold. Also, pick up some fun things to add maybe Ovaltine or something else which may be healther. If she doesn't like it try Silk brand "Soy Milk" they have vanilla and regular she might like that better. My son loves it. Oh one more thing, use other things as well for Calcium. They have Orange Juice with Calcium etc. They also have a Calcium powder you can add to drinks. Good luck!

i think at 2 they only need 12 oz of milk, the rest should be water. What i did with my daughter was made a smoothie every morning. I did 8 oz yogurt and 4 oz fruit/veg. With that she had more then 1/2 her milk taken care of and half her fruit/veg for the day.
Best of luck!

Don't stress yourself out she will get over it. You could put it in a sippy cup with just a bit of strawberry or chocolate mix. Just make sure she is eating yogurt or cheese to get her dairy if she won't drink it.

I had a similar experience, but I stopped my daughter w/ the bottle at 1 year and 5 mos because I didn't want her teeth to decay. After she stopped the bottle, she refused to drink milk on her sippy cup. Instead of stressing about it (I stress a lot!), I would just feed her food that she can eat w/ milk such as cereal, oatmeal, yogurt several times a day. I talked to her pediatrician about it and he said that it was fine that she has milk that way. In fact, my daughter has beautiful, white and healthy teeth as she gets enough milk. Don't worry about her not drinking milk just as long as she eats food that you can add milk.

As long as she is eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes other sources of calcium - certain veggies, yogurt, cheese, etc - don't worry about her milk consumption. At 2 1/2, the fact that her diet included 4-5 cups of milk a day was a little overkill as it is: children of her age shouldn't be drinking that much milk during the day anyway, as she should be filling her tummy with healthful food instead of all of that unnecessary fat in milk. Its GOOD that she is eating more and drinking more water - she should be drinking mostly water, and filling up on food at mealtime as opposed to milk. Children also don't need to drink juice either, so try to refrain from starting on that habit now too.

Offer her one cup of milk a day in a sippy cup ONLY - if she can drink water from one, she can also drink milk from it. If she chooses not to drink it, don't worry about it, she doesn't need the dietary fat any longer - in fact, it is commonly believed in the medical world that both type 2 childhood diabetes and pediatric diabetes in general has a VERY strong connection to over-consumption of milk (not dairy products) past age 1.

Hi A.-

I didn't have your problem exactly but I think my advice might help. My daughter is 2-1/2 as well and doesn't get a lot of vegetables. I turned to "Pediasure". I have her drink that mixed with milk, this way she is getting all of the nutrients she needs and is getting her milk. She also didn't like the taste of regular milk either, so I killed two birds with one stone. Milk is very constipating too, which is definitly an issue of ours.....the Vanilla flavored Pediasure comes with extra fiber.

B., 28
Mother of 2-1/2 year old little girl & 2 week old little boy

Don't worry about the milk, but don't go back to the bottle!!! If she is losing weight, it's probably ok, milk does have considerably more calories than water.

Well A.,
Everything that happens with our kids seems so much more magnified that it normally would with someone else's kids. I've been an offender, too! However, At 2 1/2 years, it really is okay for her to take a break from milk. She'll start taking it again in her own time. Meanwhile, if she's getting dairy in other things, cheese (kids usually LOVE cheese..especially string cheese for a snack), grilled cheese sandwiches, yogurt etc, and veggies with Vitamin D in it, there's not a thing to worry about. I would continue to offer it to her however you choose (I like straw cups myself), there's no worry. She'll come back to milk when she's ready. Besides, summer is comming and it's better for them to push the water most of the time in the heat, anyway. Kids don't get near enough water. Pedialyte or Gatorade are good, too. But the main thing is sticking to your decision and not giving up. If you cave, even one time, you've set yourself back years. I went cold turkey with my kids, too, and believe it or not, they're perfectly fine today! Except for the sibbling rivally that I wish there was a magic pill for! Anyway, try not to stress about it. It's normal and kids won't let themselves get low on anything. Their bodys tell them what they're low on and they usually correct it themselves. God Bless.

1 / 3