2 Year Old with Rash & Pimples

Hello all. Have done this one other time and found you all to be very helpful so am wondering if you can help me again.
About 1 1/2 wks ago our little boy got an all over rash. On his back, arms, legs down to his toes and even on his face. At first it did not itch but once it got to the point where he started itching and said that it hurt I took him to the doctor. He never had a fever throughout this. They did test for strep and checked his throat for hand, foot and mouth disease (which he had a year ago)...both tests came back negative. So they, of course, said it was a rash caused by a dum, dum, dum, dum...VIRUS. Which is the answer I get from them every time I take our child in. But anyway, that's not the point I'm writing about. Now his rash is slowly clearing up but he has three red pimples on his back up by his left shoulder blade and a handful of little bitty red pimples on his face some of them with whiteheads. He now has one on his eyelid that looks like a sie (am unsure how to spell that). But it looks horrible. He rubs his eyes alot. There is no puss coming out so it's not pink eye. Do any of you know what it is? He also has diarrhea and just started a runny nose last night. Could this be that he's getting his eye teeth in? He doesn't let me look in his mouth but I think I did see it breaking through. Could this all be happening because of that? I'm sure it's more hurtful for me to see then it is actually hurtful for him.

My 2 year old had the same thing. First it was Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease which for the most part it was gone but then some spots didn't disappear. Took her to the doctor this past week and I was told she had a staph infection. Gave her an antibiotic for a few days and now its gone! If it was me, I'd be going back to the doctor. I was always told to push if you feel somethings wrong!

There are 5 types of measels (sp) we vacinate for only 2 of them. The other types are not that severe it could be that or a reation to teething. It could also be a reaction to a change in laundry detergent, bath soap, insect repellant, sun block, .... If you have changed anything like that recently he could be breaking out from that.
My son got hives when he was 3. We never found the cause but he had an extreem reaction to something. I tried everything, Benedryl, oatmeal bath, lotions... What worked.... olive oil!! Just put it on the rash and it might disappear before your eyes, his did.
Good luck ------ You are always as miserable as the kids when they are sick.

did he receive any vaccines recently? A family member had a pimply rash (but no itching) that went through a bunch of testing and they finally determined it was a likely reaction to one of his vaccines. Of coure, since he got many at the same time, they can't 100% determine which it is. If he did not recently receive vaccines and it continues, request consult with dermatology if you haven't already.

Are they sure it is not chicken pox or measles? I know chicken pox is going around in our area right now. Our friend's grandson's have them and they were vaccinated for them.

Hi J.
There are so many kids's viruses.
Fifth's, hand foot, you name it.
Then food allergies- or environmental ones.
Your Doc is probably correct- but if it's not subsiding and he is uncomfortable- take him back for another check up.
With stuff like measles coming back into play from the many unvaccinated population, it might be that the test was inaccurate (used to be a lab person) or they misdiagnosed.
It's a hassle- but do what your gut says. Mom's usually know the temperment of their kids best.
Give fluids and comfort meds.

About me- 47 yo med prof, wellness coach and mom of nearly 7 yo twin gals.

B. J

Did the doctor mention the possibility of chicken pox? Even though kids are immunized for it today, they can still get a mild case of it (even if they have had the shot). Just a thought.

Rash, diarrhea, pimples, runny nose are all signs that a body is trying to get something out that is not benefiting it... it could be a virus, food alergy, environmental alergy or toxin. To find out without spending any money you could learn how to muscle test (also called Kinesiology). http://wdmmommy.blogspot.com/search?q=Kinesiology
It's 100% accurate 100% of the time.

I agree with TO. I think that you need to talk to your dr's office again. It has been about 10 days and you are still seeing some problems. Mention the tooth issue and ask what they think.

My son had a bump on his ear that I ignored until is started to swell. Turns out it was a staff infection.

The hard thing about dr's appointments, is that the rash might seem fine one day....but other symptoms present themselves later.

I don't remember my kids getting pimples when they were teething. Runny nose and a rash can be normal, but I would call you pediatrician anyway.

1 / 3