2 Year Old with Cavity

Hi -

we just found out at my 2 year old sons well visit that he has a cavity. I can not believe it he doesn't eat candy and we brush his teeth twice a day. I am so concerned about the dentists visit. He hates strangers, he hates getting his hair cut, the pediatrician's office, picture people. I have no idea how we are going to get through this. I would love to hear from some other moms who have been through the same thing with a shy little one. Thanks for the help.

Hi M.! I know what you're going thru... I have 2 daughters who strongly dislike going to the dentist. While I'm certainly no "herbal freak", a friend referred me to a product called RESCUE REMEDY. About 30 minutes before the doctor visit you squeeze 1-2 drops under the child's tongue. I was very pessimistic about this, but it worked. It even calmed my hyper (and terrified) 2 year old down! Hope this helps!
~Jenn~

I have no advice for you, unfortunately. However I am in the same sort of position as you so I know what you are going through. My son just turned 3 last month and needs to get his teeth looked at but he too hates going to the doctor and getting his hair cut. So how do we convince our kids to sit still for a few minutes, I would like to know =). Surely the dentist can't clean or even look over a child's teeth when they are thrashing their bodies. I will be watching your post for some adivce. Best of luck to you and your son.

I have three boys, two of whom have had major dental work before their 2nd birthday (my third doesn't have teeth, yet). We lived in another state when my oldest needed to first see the dentist. Once I set the appointment they sent out a personalized book with my son's name and the Dr.'s name. The story detailed exactly what would happen at the appointment. It was wonderful. I'm sure you could find books at the library or the book store. Read them often and the process won't seem as scary to you little one.

Another trick I used for Dr. appointments was a helium balloon as a reward for cooperating with the nurses and Dr.

Good Luck,
C. M

I'm sorry to hear that your son has a cavity. I'm in your boat as well, I have a daughter that had her 1st cavity at 3 year old, and six month later we found out she has 5 cavities!! So yeah, definetly find pediatric dentist. I sat in the chair holding my daughter while the dentist did the work, And she did good, cried in the begining, and was kind of scared of the thing the sucks the saliva out. But never even made a noise when had a couple shots in the gum and cheek. So good luck!!

Find a Pediatric Dentist. Not just a family one, but one exclusively for peds. It will probably make all the difference in the world for you.

When you call to make the appointment explain your concerns and the office will offer suggestions to you. Your first visit will only be a consultation. They should not be doing the filling then. When you return for the filling they will know what to expect and make recommendations for how best to fix the cavity. A little happy gas, numbing gel on the gums, novacaine shot, or something else.

My son will be going for his first checkup appointment in April with pediatric dentist, Dr. Jane Delaney. I got her name through several parents from preschool. They all gave glowing reviews.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is only a checkup and that there won't be any cavities.

~Jenn~

My son is 4 and has language/speech delays (20 mos level) and has sensory integration issues. I completely empathize, my son freaks out when I tweeze my eyebrows... he thinks I'm hurting myself. Is he more comfortable with men or women... mine feels more safe with men (ie. his daddy, grandpa, uncles, etc) He would probably do better if his dad took him. Dentistry is something we haven't even explored yet with ours. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I really do empathize.

hi
My son who is now almost 7 had a rough first dentist visit too. He was 3 and the dentist said he had 3 cavities which i just couldn't believe. I took him for a second opinion but ended up getting them filled. i recommend going to a dentist that specializes in children. We went to "Growing Smiles" in Bel Air and they did a great job making my son feel welcome and at ease with the process from the receptionist to the dentist they were very accomidating to me, the nervous mom, and my son.

1 / 3