2 Year Old with a Fever but No Other Obvious Symptoms...

My 2 year old daughter has had a fever off and on for going on 2 days now. I usually freak out everytime one of my babies gets a temp of 100 or higher and want to take them to the doctor right away. But the last several times it has not been anything major, so I took the wait and see method for the first time ever. (Not easy for me) Anyway, the fever started out at 102 on Tuesday morning, but has not been over 101 today (Wednesday), and for a large part of the day she had a normal temp. She is not teething and has no other obvious symptoms besides fussiness and whining. I am taking her to the doctor tomorrow if she still has a fever. I am just wondering if anyone may have any ideas what it may be. She is not pulling at her ears or acting like they hurt. A friend said she may have a UTI? But she's never had one so I don't know if I'd recognize the symptoms in a toddler.

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement! She does not have a fever today. She is still whiney, but hopefully her body was able to fit whatever this was off on its own and she is on the mend. Thanks again!

I can only speak from my experience with my kids. All 3 have had fevers before with no other symptoms. Sometimes they are just viruses. It doesn't have to be anything like an ear infection, sometimes the body is just fighting something off. Hopefully that's what it is.

Could be a virus like roseola. It's mild, common in toddlers, and usually comes with fever. You do get a rash with it at some point, so be on the lookout.

Sometimes we, kids and adults, have a fever and we and the doctor doesn't know what is causing it. The pediatrician usually says that if they are otherwise symptom free just wait it out. When we take the child in, they say, it's probably a virus. Just wait it out. I would call and talk with the advice nurse before spending money on an appointment.

Over time, you'll get accustomed to these little "glitches" and not worry so much.

If she isn't having any other symptoms and seems comfortable, I would not worry too much. Keep an eye on it, give her lots of liquids (because with less fluids, a fever tends to rise thus making them not want to drink and causing dehydration, and thus causing the fever to rise), and see how she does. Her body is obviously fighting something but without other symptoms, it is impossible for you to know what it is (sure a doctor could speculate and treat). As long as she is comfortable and the fever is under control, I would not stress...her body is working properly.

My daughter never pulls on her ear or runs a fever with her ear infections. It's not uncommon to be surprised to find she has one.

If she is still running the fever on Friday morning I would get her checked out before the holiday weekend.

Around the Chicago area there is a virus going around with a fever and no other symptoms. daughter has had it twice and niece twice. If they check her out and don't find any cause, it will have to run its course. Don't give her antibiotics that are unnecessary. Symptoms of uti in anyone are frequency in urination, pain/burning with urination, blood in urine....might not notice frequency if she is still in diapers but you might notice the others... Hard to get a kiddo that age to pee in a cup- I successfully did with my daughter at 3 but not prior. Good luck!

You totally sound like me. I get so worked up anytime there is anything remotely wrong with my kids and I always think it is something terrible. It bothers me when there is a fever with no other symptoms. My son had this last year. It was just a fever and it was off and on. I would go away and come back a day later and this went on for 11 days. Freaking out!! It was just a summer virus yet the ped did do a urine test for a UTI. Better safe than sorry on that end. He also had an unexlained fever once and it was because he had a tick on him and his body was trying to fight the foreign body. I did just hear from my cousin that her 2 yr old had a fever off and on without any other symptoms. What about coxsakie? my son used to get that often in the summer months and there would be no other symptoms but a fever until I took him to the ped and they would look in his mouth.

My 6yo just yesterday came down with a fever of 102.8 with no other symptoms. Today he had a very low grade temp for the 1st half of the day, but then was ok. Tonight my 8 yo has a fever.
I'm guessing just a virus.
Try not to worry =o)

Sometimes they just get viruses. My oldest did his he had a fever for almost a week it suddenly broke and he broke out with a rash turned out he had roseola.
Good for you relaxing and waiting a few days. Our ped always says to wait 3 days for a fever before bringing them in unless they have symptoms that indicate something (ex. Sore throat= bring them in to get tested for strep) or their behavior is cause for concern (ex. Lethargic or unable to comfort)

1 / 3