2 Year Old Wakes Scared,screaming, Crying, in the Night

My 2 year old wakes up in the middle of the night. He's scared out of his mind,screaming, shaking, and crying. His eyes are open but it's like he's not awake yet, it's takes about 30 min to calm him down. Has anyone had this happen? Is he just dreaming and doesn't realize what is going on? Your advise would be great.

To start with, Thank You all so much for your advise and stories relating to mine! It was such a comfort to see this is just another phase. I took your advise and didn't wake him up last during his night terror again last night. He was calmer and it only lasted about 5 min, he fell back asleep on his own. I just rubbed his back, I didn't say a word and he wasn't as scared. Thanks again!

My daughter had these almost nightly from when she very young til about 4 and my son occassionally had them @ 2 yrs. old. I learned from a friend that she stopped her kids from having ANY sugar after 4/5 pm and they stopped completely for her kids. I tried it and was amazed that it worked for my kids too. I suggested to another friend whose kids had ice cream every night after dinner. She stopped and they lessened greatly in her situation. My daughter will still occassionally have them and there was no sugar involved...most recently she woke up every 1/2 - 1 from 9:30pm til 4 am...that was the worst. I took her to the dr. the next day thinking she was coming down with something...nothing...so maybe she was overtired then? She is 7 now.

I hope the no sugar at night is the answer for you too!

My friends son did the same thing. She said that he had "Night Terrors". Much different from a bad dream. He actually didn't ever remember it but most of the time they just waited until he stopped screaming on his own. They found that he would get more upset if they tried to wake him up.

These are night terrors and my oldest went through it. It is a phase that some kids go through and your little one will come out of it. You might have also noticed an increase (or start) or some pretty big tantrums during the day. My pediatrician said they go hand in hand. Just know your little boy is normal and that this will eventually go away. Hang in there... it's harder on you, than it is on him.

SAHM of 3 boys with baby 4 due any day

Sounds like a classic case of night terrors. I've been through it with both of my kids and it is terrifying (more for us than for them, bcs they don't remember it at all). Google it, and you will find lots of descriptions which will help you determine if that's what's happening. There's not a lot you can do, but it becomes less scary knowing what it is, and what to expect. And they do outgrow it!

Sounds that he is having a nightmare. Find out from his school, or daycare how was his day. My suggestion is to pray over your son everyday!!

Yes he is probably having what they like to call night terrors. I heard that you shouldnt wake them. So i would just go in and assure him he is ok, mommy is here, his room/house is safe, that sort of stuff. And then pat him back to sleep. I am no sure however how to avoid them. He probably doesnt even remember the next day. If he watches anything during the day that could be disturbing I'd cut that out. But I do not know if any foods are related to night terrors.

This is normal. My daughter did it between 12 and 18 months. They are just nighterrors I think, buti am sure it is normal. RThere is really nothing you cna do except hold them and do what you can to make them comfortable. It is a stage and you'll get through it. It probably variesfor each child as to how long it will last

Call your pediatrician and talk to his nurse about what your are experiencing with your soon.

Join a support group for mom's.

http://attachmentparenting.meetup.com

Good luck. Hope this helps. D.

1 / 3