2 Year Old Under General Anesthesia for Dental Work

We just learned today that our two year old needs some dental work which will require that she's put under general anesthesia. She'll be having the procedure done at Children's Medical Center.

I'd love to hear from some mommas who've been through this with their little ones, to ease my mind a bit.

My son when he was 2 had dental work under anesthesia for a filling at Cooks, it went great and no problem after... They are really great with kids there!

My son had a frenuloplasty (tongue-tie operation) about 3 weeks ago. He got the "goofey juice" & the gas instead of the IV. With the gas, they wake up really, really fast & hard. My son cried for 30 minutes after he woke up. The nurses say that their heads & chests hurt when they wake up. We didn't know this, so we weren't prepared. Just tell the docs & nurses over and over again to give him something BEFORE he wakes up. Good luck!

my daughter was under ga for dental work at that age. they put caps on her front teeth for baby bottle mouth. they gave her 'loopy juice' which she drank and was instantly silly drunk. When she woke, she was disoriented and cried alot, also because her mouth was numb and it felt weird but after an hour or so when everything wore off, she was fine. She's been under ga a couple other times for dental work and to have her tonsils removed and she's been fine each time. My oldest son was under ga via 'loopy juice' at the age of 2 in order to have surgery on his toes for severe ingrown tonails. he too cried and cried when he first woke up but he eventually calmed down and was perfectly fine.

My one year old was under anesthesia for tubes in his ears. When he woke up, he screamed and screamed. They are really disoriented. Don't be scared, just prepared. Most kids shake out of it in 45 min to an hour. But, my son screamed for 4-5 hours. It was worth it though!

I feel for you. Although it is a routine procedure, it didn't make me feel any better when my son was 2 and had it done and I know it doesn't make you feel any better either.
We had this done in office and his dentist was great and he was great. The anesthesiologist was out of a Plano practice and he was great. We chose not to go with another dentist that would only do it in the hospital, because of my gut feeling about him and he was just so arrogant.
They told us it might be hard to see your child groggy before they go back to have it done. They give them something before hand to get them sleepy. That didn't bother me at all, the hard part for me was when I walked back to get him after the procedure and he was not himself. That is the only way I can put it and I was not expecting that at all. They will be extremely groggy, maybe whiney grumpy and not able to stand up or be much help for awhile. No stairs of any kind for them and you have to watch out for them the whole time to keep them safe until they are not loopy anymore. (think falling down drunk person and that about fits how our son was or if you had your wisdom teeth out and you remember how loopy you were)
I hope I haven't scared you, I am not trying to. I am only trying to stress being prepared after the precedure is done to have a child that may be loopy on medicine. Your child could also act different than mine too.
So, have faith in your dentist and ask questions about the anesthesiologist so you can feel comfortable and have confidence in them to care for your child.
Just follow the directions when you go home about the gauze and after care and if you have any questions, call the dentist back and ask! It wasn't that bad either. I think just changing the gauze and watching what he ate or drank. He mostly just slept though.

Oh, I just remembered and this is very important if you have to pick him up and they don't let him stay in a bed or such, they told me to make sure I had a good grip on him when I picked him up. I did, but I was holding him like he was my 2 year old that could hold his head and back up and had control. When I picked him up he was fine and then he just jolted straight backwards almost out of my arms, but thank God, I didn't drop him. Again, not to scare you, just be prepared for a loopy child.

I will pray for all of you and good luck.

My son is three and he had some dental work done two months ago and had general anesthesia. He was really good in the office. He was just groggy and it took him a little while to come out of it, maybe lunchtime. He just needed to sleep it off. The suggestion is to not let your child stand up and walk around by themselves. Their balance isn't very good, until it wears off. I wouldn't worry about it!! Plus my 1 1/2 year old daughter had tubes in her ears a few weeks ago and she came out of the anesthesia about the same as my son. They feel a lot better after they sleep! Congrats on your third, I am expecting my 3rd in June and I'm M. W also!!

I actually work for a Pediatric dentist and can tell you that doing the dental work at Children's is the best option for your two year old.
In quick response to Brenda's question about 2 years old being too young to do dental treatment because the teeth are going to fall out. If the baby teeth have decay and it goes untreated, it can actually pass on to the permanent teeth. So you've made the right choice in deciding to get the work done.
Another good reason to have the work done under general anes. is because the child won't remember the work being done. They will wake up, and not recall a thing that was done. This means that they won't be traumatized about going to the dentist and you won't have any problems in the future. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me back. I hope this helps. ~B.

My 4 year old had to have same thing and we were very nervous about the whole ordeal, but for him it was a real answer to some problems he was having with an abcess tooth. We went the day of the procedure and everything was explained to us in detail about what would happen and my son was given some medication (a drink) - no "okeys" as he calls it,, which basically calmed him and it was explained to us that he wouldn't even know/remember even being away from us. He was kind of out of it, but then we got to wait in the room for him back in the operating room part - I think it varies - and then he was back in the recovery room, within 30 minutes, and they allowed us to be with him before he woke up back in the recovery room, so he always thought we were there with him. He did have a difficult time waking up, he was very cranky, crying, and really having difficulty waking up - but we still took him home within 45 minutes of procedure. However, he went through everything very well. He slept a lot that day and by evening you really wouln't have known he went through all of that. I believe most kids bounce back pretty fast.
Now, I just had my older son, 7, have his tonsils and adenoids removed at a different clinic. They told us again everything step by step, *what i liked about this palce was that they told us when he actually went to sleep and that he had done very well with that - knowing this was so reassuring while we waited, and when the procedure was done and he was in the recovery room. Now, prior to my older son's procedure, there, the anesthesiologist told us we could give him some medicine prior to the surgery that would make him kind of "drunk," but that it could make his waking up a little harder and he would be crying, temper tantrum, and more fussy. So, we opted not to do it (we did ask my son and he said he was fine to go back by himself). At this place, we got to see him after he woke up. So, you may want to inquire about anything specifically they will give your child prior to see what kind of effects you might expect and when you can see him in the recovery room. And again, every child is different. The same day as my 4 year olds's dental work, there was another little bit older child having something done and when we were in the recovery room, we could see her and she was very with it and livid, so just ask questions and again, I would have rather done what we did as opposed to letting it go. Hope this helps - didn't mean to go into so much detail, but just letting you know about various experiences. Good luck! Just ask questions...

1 / 3