2 Year Old Too Young to Ice Skate?

My husband wnats to take our 2.5 year old ice skating but we don't know if they have rental skates that small and if our son has the coordinate to skate...any personal experiences? Thanks,

Chuckle. Call the ice rink and ask if they have shoes small enough. They could also tell you their experience with skaters that young. They may not want a child that young to skate. They do have to consider liability issues.
They will err on the side of safety.

NOT TOO YOUNG AT ALL! My son has been on the ice since he was 18 months old. It's better to get them on the ice early and at a young age. Kids don't have fear and learn much faster, where as adults are the ones who struggle the most. Make sure he has a helmet (can be a bicycle one), elbow pads, knee pads, and gloves. If he falls (which he will), whatever you do, do NOT make a big deal about it. Just act like it's normal (which it is) help him up then continue. Also, if you can, maybe bring a chair out on the ice that he can push to help keep his balance.

Good Luck and have fun!

They will err on the side of safety.

mine both skated younger than that. it isn't pretty but you don't have far to fall...

My daughter went last winter when she was 2.5.

They can skate at that age. The question is...do you or your husband want to skate behind him, holding his arms all the while being bent over the ENTIRE time Or one of you holding each arm and constantly keeping him from falling. It is tiring!!!!! Have fun :)

It should be okay as long as an adult is with him. Call your rink. Both of my sons wanted to skate at 2. My eldest started taking skate lessons at 3-1/2 which is when he was old enough to take the class. Now, at 6, he plays hockey and is a very good skater. Ask the rink if they have walkers for little kids who want to skate. A walker (it's like an old person's walker), is a device that the child can hold on to so that he can learn to balance then skate. This is a great tool to help learn to skate:) Ice skating is so much fun and great exercise. Have fun and enjoy!

Here they start lessons at 2. They have tiny skates for them, and stabilizing bars if they are brand new to it. He is not too young at all :). But this is Alaska, our kids are playing hockey by 4 or 5 years old! If you are not sure it they have small enough skates where you are, just call ahead.

How skilled are you and hubby at skating? I'm not very good (I think that's the real reason I no longer live in Minnesota), so I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but as long as the parents are either wearing shoes, or solid skaters, I think it is ok. They should have some aides as well for little kids to help them learn.

1 / 3