2 Year Old Throwing up for Three Days

My daughter has been throwing up for three days now. The first day it was just once in the morning and then she seemed fine. The next day it was 12 midnight and she threw up twice. The she was fine for a day. then tonight she did it again before bed, and twice at three in the morning. I am going to take her to the doctor in the morning but i am scared that it might be something more that a virus because she doesn't have a fever except for around when she is throwing up and she seems fine right up until the moment before and then after she seems fine. Lots of energy and will eat anything. Any ideas?

My 20 month old has been doing the same thing over the weekend. He actually throws up mainly at night after he has had his cup of milk. My doctor (OBGYN) said that sometimes they can get a stomach iritation after they have been sick and that it can last for a several days. She said milk is especially sensitive in the stomach and to hold off for a week. So far we have had 2 good days without throwing up.

Hi E.,

I went through that a couple of months ago. My 5 year old son would be fine all day and then in the middle of the night just start puking. I think he did it in his sleep, because he would come tell us that he puked, but doesn't remember doing it, just waking up feeling wet. I took him to the doctor and he told me that the virus work in weird ways. He puked at night for 4 nights and then he was fine. But each day he had tons of energy, no fever, and ate everything. So just hold out, I think she will be just fine. It was really weird though and I got really worried about it too.

Typically the lack of fever indicates that it actually is a virus. If it's some other kind of bacterial infection or something serious, you usually see a high fever and they act really sick all the time - no periods of feeling fine in between. My guess would be that it's a virus unless it lasts longer than 7-10 days. That being said, anytime you have concerns you should talk to your doctor. Good luck - I hope she feels better.

She may actually have a stomach bug. My daughter just had one. She threw up for a day or so, no fever, but now she is in the "runs" stage, and she's had this for about four days now. Our MD said this can last for a week or so. If it gets really watery, mucusy or bloody (sorry for the graphics), to bring her in. If you're really worried, take her in.

By the way, our daugther passed this on to us, and we went through the same cycle! There's a NASTY stomach bug going around right now . . .try to stay healthy!

A bug like that seems to be going around in our apartment building. My daughter had it for two weeks. She would be ok for a day or 2 and then throw up in the evening or night. It seemed like it was never going to go away. It was just a virus and now she is back to normal.

My 3 year old was up every 20 minutes about a week ago with this stomach bug that has been going around (it is just finishing the rounds in the family with my hubby). She had dry heaves every 20-30 minutes for about 4 hours straight. It was a rough night to say the least. The next day she was better, able to drink milk, but still got sick once or twice. It is likely just this bug going around. It is always good to check with the DR though. Oh and my little one didn't run a fever with the virus and neither did I. Hubby did though. It is odd how each person reacts differently do the same virus.

-M.

Hi E., I'm sure she is fine but I would just take her to the doctor anyway. One thing I've noticed about kid illnesses is that they are very different from ours. When I get the stomach flu, I'm sick for 12-24 hours then it's over. When my son gets a tummy bug, he will do exactly what your daughter is doing. He won't be so horribly ill as I am when I get it, but it is spread out over a longer period of time and the fever will come and go. Same thing with respiratory viruses. He'll get better and worse and the fever will come and go over a period of 7-10 days or so.

Hi it sounds like the stomach virus that has been going around. We all had it last month. My daughter who is almost a year got it and had symptoms for 8 days-we took her to the doctor and they told me that it will last longer with younger children and babies though my husband and I only had it for about 12 hours. Anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as she is staying hydrated and drinking fluids. It's probably still good to take her to the doctor though just to check and for your peace of mind. Good luck!

I know this will sound totally random, but, does she remember throwing up?

I ask because I watch a lot of mystery diagnosis and there was one 5yo who would throw up at night and go right back to sleep. She'd be fine all day long, then throw up at night. Turned out the vomiting was a form of a seizure she was having in her sleep.

Obviously I dont want to scare you, but its something to be aware of if she doesnt get better in a few days or weeks.

Hope its just a stomach virus!

Hi E.,

1 / 3