2 Year Old That Won't Eat Vegetables

I am having trouble getting my 2 year old to eat. Especially vegetables. He won't even try them. I put them on his plate and he pushes them away. I have tried to puree them and mix them into things, but still no luck. Please help!!

I know my 2 year old LOVES to be in control and have "choices". I never force anything on her and I just keep trying.
I let her help me prepare the food. If she has a hand in that...she is more likely to eat it.
Keep trying different kinds...ya never know what might grab his attention.
A trip to a farm in warmer months helps out.
Or at the grocery store, let him pick some stuff out in the produce section.
Never make a big deal about it...act like it is just as normal as...chicken nuggets!;)
Guide, but don't force. Get him involved...not just at the plate. He may find something he does like and stick with it.
Although...every day is different, my daughter will eat something one day and not the next! I think she like being able to choose;)
And don't stress out too much about...he will be ok, even if he isn't getting the "recommended" does of veggies each day.

My son will only eat corn so I buy him the V8 Fusion juice. One serving of vegetables and one serving of fruit. My son loves it. I give it to him every morning. I can rest that he is at least getting one serving in. Good luck

My three year old is like that too ... my husband and I have to resort to telling him that if he doesn't try one bite of everything on his plate that he won't get anything else to eat that night, and all he'll get to drink is water. He fusses and cries and throws a fit, but eventually, he'll try a bite of everything we've put on his plate. There have been a couple of times where he's refused to try anything and he's gone to bed hungry. I hate to do it to him, but lets face it, food is really expensive. I've been watching "Supernanny" a lot and getting some suggestions from the show. Good luck.

I tried a few different things. I put V-8 juice in my spaghetti sauce...all toddlers love spaghetti. Not that V-8 cooked is a perfect substitute, but it was something. I also used to give them frozen peas in a cup to snack on. They weren't messy and the girls thought it was a green treat. Whipped sweet potatoes are good too. Bake them in their skins, remove the skins add butter, agave and cinnamon to taste... whip them with your hand mixer...they taste like candy!
Asparagus and broccoli were always called "trees". Make it fun...carrots, celery, even the trees with something to dip it in.
Most toddlers are funny about this...it will pass.

Keep offering. Don't express sadness if he refuses. Just offer again the next time. Small portions (2-3 kids bites size) is a good idea. My family prefers fresh veggies over frozen ones. Frozen will do in a pinch but they will not touched canned.

Model for him what a good eater eats. You and your husband should be eating the same vegetables that you are serving him at every meal. He should see you enjoy them. He can even help prepare them.

Some things that worked with getting my daughter to try new things: When first introducing something, we put a little on her plate or in a separate bowl. If she takes a bite, we say "great, now take two more!" Make it a counting game or even a bet "I bet you can't take two more bites." She still likes the "airplane going in to the hangar" game with all the sounds and motions. If all else fails, we reward her with praise (or more of something else we are serving that she will eat) if she will just lick the food or the spoon so we know she is refusing on taste not just on principle. Then if she makes "the face", at least she has tried it and we can move on to something else and come back to this food another time.

Keep offering the vegetables! If you try to hide them or stop giving them, then he will never learn to like them. Put alittle on his plate everytime and not too much of the other foods.... like 2-3 bites of each thing that he is eating. And don't make a big deal out of him not eating them or act like you really want him to eat them because then it turns into a power struggle with nothing to do with the actual taste of the veggie.

would he like smoothies? my 2yo is getting pickier about her food and she's just too busy to stop and eat. she loves her smoothies, though. i make 2 differnt kinds and they are both veggie packed! i even fooled my husband they are so good. one is milk, 1/2 banana, protein powder, a cooked beet, butternut squash chunks or sweet potato, flaxseed oil and frozen mixed berries.another is oj, plain yogurt, a big fistful of spinich, flaxseed oil and mixed frozen berries. they are both like a well balanced meal in a cup and you can get a whole serving or 2 of veggies in there! she asks for them regularly, so i don't worry about her diet anymore!

Try putting butter and a little salt on cooked vegetables - it really makes them taste better. Also, how about making a cheese sauce and throwing that over cooked broccoli or cauliflower. Try raw veggies like tomatoes, carrot sticks and cucumber with ranch - he might like dipping them in. You say he pushes the veggies away. Are you feeding him - at his age I was still putting mouthfuls of food into my kids' mouths at mealtimes so it was easier to make sure he was eating everything. Good luck - ALison

I agree with the others advise about peanut butter, dip and so on...my experience rasing 3 children and taking care of many more, sometimes I would have to serve the veggies first and not let them even see what they were actually having for their meal...

My 2-1/2 year old grand-daughter Loves veggies but mom also has always given them to her and not let her have alot of sweets and things that aren't healthy for her....

Just keep trying.....

"I buy him the V8 Fusion juice."

So do I! On another note never stop offering.

1 / 3