2 Year Old Not Talking Well.

My 2 year old babbels and mumbles all kinds of stuff. The words she currently knows are mine, no, yes, help, baby, anyway my first one was talking alot and communication was better. Jessie is so smart, she knows everything --if you ask her where something is in a book she points right to it, but when I ask her to say it she doesn't-- How do I get her to use more words??

Welcome to the world of the 2nd child! When my son was that age, his older sister did all the talking for him! (I hear that this is very common if the older child is female). Don't worry, she will talk in time. My son really didn't talk much till he was 3 (when his sister was in school, and couldn't rely on her doing all the talking for him!)

you can check with your local schools if she isn't speaking any better by the time she's three they probably offer speech therapy. my neice has already started speech thereapy and she's only three and it has helped her speech alot in only the past month. My nephew will be starting speech therapy in august when he starts kindergarten. Most of the local schools offer free speech therapy for kids with speech problems. I know at least lawton and portage schools do. Well, good luck. hope this helps.

i would encorage her to speak a friend of mine used m&m as a reward.just make it about fun new words she will catch on and make sure her wonderful big sister is not speaking for her

Ask her questions that require more than just a yes or no answer and get some books that you can point out pictures of animals or whatever together and get her to say their names.

Every time you say a word, just try to get her to repeat it, it may take her a minute. When she does repeat a word, get all excited and clap and say YAY. She will see shes getting attention from it, she will try to do it more often. Thats how I did it with my 4 year old when she was doing the same thing. Good luck!

I have a Sept. 2005 baby and he also isn't talking well. Unlike your dd he doesn't point to anything in a book. Kaden quilified for speech therapy. The therapist gave me these things to do with him, which like you I have already been doing.

*read books to your child frequently.
*talk simply, clearly, and slowly to your child.
*enjoy many activities w/ your child to stimulate language,
vocabulary, and communication skills-take walks, go shopping, have a picnic, clean house, plant flowers, and talk about things as you are doing them and again later in the day.
*look at your child when he or she talks to you
*describe what your child is doing, feeling, and hearing in short 3-word sentences
*make speaking and listening experiences pleasant, worthwhile, and fun for your child
*let the child listen to children's music and book recordings
*respond to your child's attempts at communication in a meaningful way.

I have a 10 month old so I am not speaking from personal experience but from what my brother experienced with his now 5 year old. They had the same problem. My nephew would grunt and point and mumble all the time. You know HE KNEW what he wanted and most of the time we could all figure out too. It was just frustrating that he couldn;t say what he wanted. Basically what was happenening was my brother and sister in law were speaking for him. He got what he wanted by just pointing and grunting so he didn't have to speak. So they corrected that, not instantly but with consistancy within a couple months by telling him to use his words so mommy or daddy can give him what he wants/needs. This way your daughter won't get used to the fact that if she mumbles or points that she gets what she wants. Hopefully this helps you.

My son did this. Im not sure where in the 2 she is but my son started non stop talking at 2 1/2 its like he learnd a whole new vocabulary over night. It was amazing. Now...He wont shut up :-X

1 / 3