2 Year Old Not Talking

I have a 2 year old (25 months) son who is not talking. He has said mama, dada, bye, and alligator before but that's it. Never repeats anything. Just a lot of ahhh or ahhhhhh which I have come to understand. I tried ECI - bad experience for me. Had him tested at Presby Plano who said he was behind and need therapy but my current insurance doesn't cover speech therapy (talk about going into tears). Does anyone have any information, ideas, exercises I can do on my own? I work during the day and he is at home with a nanny who talks English to him. Both of us talk to him a lot - He just isn't interested. Thank you!!!

So What Happened?‚ĄĘ

I am overwhelmed by all the great information, advise, and comfort I have received from everyone on this website. I truly appreicate it. I have emailed some of you back and over time intend to email more of you! (Just very hard working, working on my son's help and getting ready for the new son that should be here in 3 weeks) Thank you again to everyone that took the time to post!! We're having a hearing test in a week and starting some speech therapy this week!!

Hi E.,
I'm not a professional yet but I have taken a few courses on child development and just as a general rule, at two years of age children should be talking in two word sentences, simple things such as "More juice", "want cookie" etc.
Have you had his ears/eyes checked to rule out any hearing/vision problems? Your pediatrician could recommend a speech/hearing specialist to conduct a thorough assessment of your son's development.
I'm sorry if I'm not offering any new or economic options, but just to be on the safe side it might be worth having his audition checked.
Good luck and God bless.

Dear E.,
Sounds like you need to stimulate the temporal and pareital lobes of your son's brain. Particualry the Wernicke and Berocca areas of the brain that are responsible for speech and communication. You may want to introduce your son to Brain Gym exercises, they are very easy exercises to stimluate the brain. http://www.braingym.org/. There is a teachers manual you can buy that explains many of the exercises and what they are for, it is wonderful I use these exercises in my practice with my clients everyday and have wonderful results.
Trust this gives you an alternative.
Kind Regards
Dr. Sue

You might try simple sign language. The Baby Einstein video on that is pretty good. Both my kids try to mimic the words and signs.
I'm not sure what your experience with ECI was, but they offer services on a sliding pay scale, so it should be affordable. We had good experiences with the Denton County group. Is it possible to go to a different group?
Boys often talk late. If his vocabulary hasn't expanded by the time he's 2 1/2, you might check back with the pediatrician.

You might ask your docter the next time you go, but my cousin little boy was about 2-2 1/2 before he started talking and now he doesnt shut up..haha. What I would do (my cousin did) was when they want something and point at it, tell them what it is and make them atleast try to say it before you give it to them. but deffently ask your dr about it. good luck!

I'm afraid for a reasonable, affordable price for 2 yrs old -- ECI might be the option for now. Have you talked to a director there to explain your concerns; request a different therapist?? I've looked into alternative speech therapy and found other options to be sooo expensive. But after all my research, a friend told me about Plano ISD Early Childhood School that offers free speech therapy preschool starting at 3 yrs old -- for those who qualify (after an assessment). My son turns 3 next week so it worked out just right in time for us -- we just got him qualified so he'll be attending 5 days week there! It's a definite blessing to find this program when we did because we could not afford private therapy ... and I know that ECI qualification stops once they reach 3 yrs old. Anyway, just wanted to tell you about that Plano ISD program, if you need it by the time he turns 3. It wouldn't hurt to at least set up an assessment a litle bit before his 3rd birthday to see where he stands - the assessment is free. And if he qualifies as delayed, then the preschool is free. www.pisd.edu - click on Early Childhood.

Hi E.,

I am sorry to hear about your son. My son is almost 21 months old and only says "go go" for go. He has never said mama, etc. I have some input from my own experiences in this area with my son.

As for the cost of speech therapy, I believe Easter Seals charges $66 per 30 minute session for speech therapy (they may also decrease that rateif insurance doesn't cover as I was told a discounted rate for other evaluations that my insurance did not cover). We had our son evaluated by Jennifer at Easter Seals and I was very impressed with her and the speech therapy program. My son is currently attending speech therapy twice a week at Baylor-Our Children's House due to the close proximity to our house.

Also, as for at home activities, we are doing the following things with our son (as was recommended by his speech therapist):

1. When talking with your son, tell him "Mommy says boat (or whatever word you want him to say)." then say "(your son's name) says boat" and wait to see if he will make a "b" sound or try to say the word. It is supposed to be easier for kids this age to hear their name and know you want them to say something then to say now you say... because children may not know pronouns yet.

2. Put objects up to your own mouth and pronounce the name of it in a slow exaggerated manner with your child watching your mouth. Then repeat the word over again. Such as, our therapist told me to get farm animals and hold one at a time up to my mouth and say, "T (your son's name) wants elephant", then try to get him to say it or some sound for it. When it comes time for another animal, hold it up and say, "T wants more" emphasizing and holding the m on the word more.

3. If your child becomes frustrated, don't push the issue, but do get him to calm down and not associate screaming/crying as a means to get what he wants. So when my son starts screaming because I am not giving him what he wants, I calming explain he needs to calm down and then I will get it for him. When he calms down I hand him the object.

4. Our Speech therapist recommended our son learn basic baby sign language in the interim to help reduce his frustration and aid in language development. Luckily for us, we already had started this learning technique. There are baby sign language videos out there, such as the "Signing Smart Series".

5. We also have been told to put together a photo album or other type of picture book of common objects, label the objects and ask our son to point to a certain object and when he does for us to name it slowly and ask him to repeat it as discussed above.

6. Expose your son to other children around his age that are talking. We had an in home nanny for our son until recently and he was not exposed to other children daily. Since we have started taking him to places where children frequent (church nursery, small group child care, play groups, etc.) he has started taking notice of these children's speech skills and at least hears and observes their behavior. My son is now attempting to imitate these children's speech.

I hope my input helps you.

Hi Easter,

I have an in-home day care. I have a 2 yr old little girl that says every word she hears. She will carry on a small conversation with me. I think it really helps that I am able to teacher her instead of putting her into a day care center. We do allot of flash cards for objects, colors, numbers, and abc's. She sings along with allot of children's songs.
I don't want to sound like I am boosting about my daughter. I just wanted to offer you my in-home day care and see if you are interested. He could come for the whole week or just a few days. He would get interaction with other kids his age and learn from them as well. It's amazing how children mimic each other. We have allot of fun and I do allot of the same thing as day care centers, but with more one on one attention and patience. I have worked with children for many years, and feel this is my gifting. I am CPR and first aid certified and am listed with the state to provide in home care. Let me know if you are interested. You can reach me at ###-###-#### or email me at ____@____.com

Thanks,

Dear E.,

Your child is very fortunate to have a parent who is concerned and ready to find the necessary intervention. I am a speech-language pathologist, and understand how the price of therapy can add up quickly. I have a program called S.T.A.R. Music (Speech Therapy And Recreational Music). The program is unique in that it offers you an opportunity to meet with a licensed and experienced speech-language pathologist and select individualized objectives that will be targeted in a fun, small group setting (maximum of six children per class). You would be given suggestions at each class as to how to encourage your child to practice those objectives during the various class activities. You would also be given weekly suggestions for fun home activities to target each of those objectives. For more information, please visit www.startherapyprograms.com, or call ###-###-####. The fall schedule is not yet posted, but I would be happy to e-mail the fall '06 brochure to you. The price per class is significantly less than private therapy.

Another option would be the Callier Center. They have facilities at UTD, in Richardson.

Please let me know if I can be of service. I wish you much luck, and congratulate you on your efforts. Research continually boasts about the advantages of early intervention.

S. B. Ambers, M.S., CCC-SLP
Director/Speech-Language Pathologist
S.T.A.R. Music
###-###-####

1 / 3