2 Year Old Is Starting to Get Musty!!!

Updated on October 28, 2010
A.J. asks from Mesquite, TX

I know it sounds weird, but my 2 year old has started to get musty. I recently noticed this a few days ago. She has a bath everyday and I always put powder and lotion on her to give her that baby smell....but over the last few days she smells like a musty teenager.I've tried to figure out that could be the cause of this, but the only thing I can think of is that she got the combination H1N1 flu shot about 3 weeks ago. It becomes noticable after a few hours of her playing or when she wakes up in the morning. Have any of you experienced this with your kids and if so what should I do or use on such a young child besides powder?

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thanks moms for all your comments, they really helped a lot. I looked into the precocious puberty issue and we have some concerns about her possible having that issue so we plan to see her doctor next week.

answers from Dallas on

Do you think it is possible she shoved something up her nose and it is still there? My 2yr old son puts everything up his nose (he just started this) and we have to watch him like a hawk (especially food). My little brother and my cousin did the same thing when they were small and anytime we noticed a weird musty smell we would take them to the dr to check their nose and sure enough they had shoved something up there that was beginning to become infected.
I think I'd skip the powder b/c it can kinda start to smell but lotion should be fine, also make sure she is drinking plenty of fluids (water, juice, milk) - no caffeine or sugary drinks. Good Luck!!

answers from Dallas on

If it has been after playing etc. it could very well just be transitioning from baby to toddler. I know you love the baby scent but after about two years, it does start to go away. Also check her shoes. That was where we noticed issues first with my youngest one's "scent" lol. It's not the flu shot as we all got that and no weird odors from the family.

answers from Abilene on

My friend used to call it "the little pony smell" after her boys had been playing.

answers from Dallas on

Actually, the powder could just give her acne. Sounds like her skin is trying to flush some unhealthy stuff out of her system through her pores.

Push lots and lots of water, skip juice and milk at meal time and for about a week - forget the stinky skin veggies like broccoli, onions, asparagus, and garlic. That should put her right again and you can go back to your normal routine.

answers from Minneapolis on

Not quite sure what you mean by "musty," but since you have added the adjective "teenager" to it, I'm going to guess you mean that she has adult- like B.O.

There are more and more children this young getting diagnosed with a condition called "precocious puberty", and it is the cause of young children, even toddlers to develop body odor, body hair, breasts, obesity, acne and all the other signs typically part of puberty.

Reasearch shows it is caused by hormones and additives in foods and certain consumer products such as baby bottles and canned goods lined with BPA. Many people are turning to a strictly organic diet and are refusing to use formulas, bottles and sippy cups, and even disposable diapers in an effort to avoid this dilemma.

Musty smell could be anything...but to be certain, I would take her to see a doctor and read up on this very real condition that is becoming more widespread.

See: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sexual/precocious.html

answers from Dallas on

I will have to agree with J L, my cousin has twin daughters that are two and one has that precocious puberty. She is also very musty and is starting to develope breasts to! I would def check out some of those sites she suggested and talk to her doctor to see if that is really what is going on with her! Best of luck to you!!

answers from Davenport on

I agree about skipping the powder and lotion if it has fragrance in it. I don't think I would skip on any veggies (coming from a mom that has a picky eater)

Next question: 5 Year Old with Underarm Odor