2 Year Old Hit Her Head

My 2 year old fell today while playing out side . She hit her head fairly hard on the concrete. And ha a good sized bump and bruise forming on her forehead. I put ice on it but it still lookf pretty nasty. What should I do? She doesn't seem to be bothered by the bump she is acting totally normal and playing, and her pupils have good dilation response. But I can't help but worry. Any suggestions?

Dear J.,
Vomitting and behaving extremely drowsy or dizzy after hitting the head are signs of something serious and require immediate medical attention.
Your daughter sounds like she's going to be just fine.
Little kids bones and skulls are pretty pliable for a reason. God knew what he was doing....they are completely accident prone.
I was at a park with friends and a 9 year old fell off a swing and hit her head. At first, she got up like she was okay, but within 2 minutes, she was barfing uncontrollably and couldn't hold herself upright even in a sitting position. She obviously had a concussion.

One of my prized possessions is a large burl table that my grandfather made when I was a baby. Every single kid in my family has hit their head on that table as if it's some sort of rite of passage. It leaves gnarly goose eggs on a forehead, let me tell you. Not one kid in more than one generation has ever gotten a concussion though. My daughter thought she would try being a head banger and knocked some pretty good lumps on her own head. But she didn't do brain damage or anything.
Keep putting ice on your daughter for swelling but don't be surprised if she's bruised up tomorrow. It will go away in a few days.
I know it's scary, but she sounds okay. You might try giving her baby motrin this evening in case she has a little headache.

Best wishes!

When my children hit their heads, my husband always looks at their eyes. If they dialate and move together, he says they will be fine and so far they have been. If she is not bothered and is acting normally, she'll be fine. If you are still worried, take her to a doctor.

I agree wth everyone else about the signs to look for for concussion. I wanted to add that if they lose consciousness they also need to be taken in, in addition to the vomiting and eye signs. Also, a bump on the outside is a good thing, it means there is no bump going inwards.

I would say just keep an eye on her. If she doesn't seem herself call her ped. It seems like I also heard that if a child is vomiting after a head injury to call the dr.

Sorry I'm not much help! I do know that kids are resiliant and most of the time it bothers us moms more than the kids.

I second the Arnica gel/cream.
It is great stuff. All natural. Good for bruises, bumps, muscle aches.

For future reference, if it is the temples/side of the head where an injury/hit takes place, this is more dangerous. It is a softer area of the skull... this is how Liam Neeson's wife died, from her head trauma.
A Doctor friend also told us this.

Sometimes, a "bump" can be occurring under the skull where we cannot see it. Hematoma.

take care,
Susan

The bump is good, it means the swelling is on the outside of the skull.
All you can do is ice it and watch her for a concussion.

I've been there. I'd just watch her. If she isn't vomiting, her eyes look fine, she seems totally normal, she's most likely fine. I've called our nurse line (for our health insurance) before and gone over things to look for with a concussion, and was told that just falling down rarely causes one. You could call yours (if you have one) and talk it over if you are really worried.

Something that works great for bruise reduction is a homeopathic remedy called Arnica cream. I swear by it, it is amazing how fast it can heal a bump or bruise. I've purchased it at Whole Foods or other natural foods stores in there pharmacy type isle.

1 / 3