2 Year Old Daughter Still Needs Cup at Night!!!!

I have a daughter that is turning two next week and she still has to have her cup at night to go to sleep and even wakes up in the middle of the night wanting it. If she does not get it then she will cry and cry unitl i give it to her. I cant stay up all night long with her while she crys then get up and go to work the next morning. Someone please give me some advice on what to do.

I have always let my daughter have something to drink at night. She's supposed to only get water- in an non-spill sippy cup, but I have broken down and given her milk several times. She has cavities, but that's from breastfeeding. I think it's pretty common for kids (and even adults) to want something to drink in the middle of the night.

Like some have said water in the cup is ok. I have 4 kids and by the middle of the night they have dry mouths. It upsets my 5 year old but my 7 and 10 know what and how to fix it. I see nothing wrong with a cup. I do limit how much water goes in to it with the 2 and 5 year olds. You are not doing anything wrong...

well my daughter wants a drink at night but she uses a regular cup, & has a toddler bed so i just put water in it & she gets a drink before bed & if she wakes up thirsty i leave it on her dresser...we have a strict rule of water only after 7pm, her bedtime is usually 8pm
...if she still uses a sippy cup will she take just water in it? then you could leave it with her...

I can completely understand what your going through. My son will be 4 next month and my daughter is 2 1/2.

She will not go to bed without her milk. But there are times she is starting to go to bed without anything. So, I am just being patient with her.

Nt son did the same thing around 2 1/2 and by 3 he did not want anything to drink at bedtime and he still doesn't.

So just be patient and before they 3 I am sure they will want a drink less and less.

My first thought was - so? But I guess it does matter what is in the cup. If its water, I say it is doing no harm. However, if its milk or juice (that will rot her teeth) then I would try to change to water, or pick a break when you can take it away. I have a nephew that is just about to be 5, but at 3 1/2 got a mouth full of fillings and caps b/c he took chocolate milk to bed.
Hope it all works out!

I wish I could offer you some advice to this one. My 18 month old daughter requires the exact same thing during the night. Funny thing is, I never realized she shouldn't be getting it. When you are in the middle of your sleep and she wakes up we are willing to do just about anything to get her to go back to sleep. So we give her a sippy cup and not even 5 minutes later she is back to sleep. So I am definitely interested in hearing some opinions on this one. My thought behind this is sometimes I wake up thirsty and go to the kitchen for a drink. So why is it any different for her to be thirsty and want a drink? Again, that is only my personal opinion on this subject. Sorry I am of no help to you though. I guess we can learn together on this one.

my daughter had the same problem when she was about 1 1/2 years old, i broke it and told her it was broken, and she couldnt have it any more, she wasnt happy but after a few minutes of cring she got over it. She asked for it a few times over the next couple of days but then completely forgot about it. May work, but your case could be completely different than mine, good luck.

It sounds like you have traded a breast/bottle for a cup. So the best way to break of the bottle or cup in this case is cold turkey. I'm sure you will have a major battle on your hands, but if you will start on Friday night and consistently refuse to give it to her for about three or four nights, she should be broke of it. I know this seems harsh, but you are going to have to chose, whether you want to continue to get up in the middle of the night to give her a cup or whether you want to stop it. Unless she is diabetic, there shouldn't be a reason why she actually NEEDs it. In fact she may just be doing it because, with the cup comes Mommy and Mommies attention. Good Luck with the battle. Toddlers wills are made of steel.

I think as long as it's just water then it shouldn't be a big deal. My son is just over 2 and likes to have his cup of water at night. We've just made sure that he knows after he gets a drink that he puts it back where it goes. Good luck!

1 / 3