2 Year Old and the Flu Vaccine

With the flu season coming in strong I would like to get my son a flu shot. However, his doctor does not recommend the vaccine for anyone his age. I though I was aware of many two year olds getting the flu shot. Especially with the new H1N1 scare, I would like to know my son is protected. Does anyone have any advice on when it is best to vaccinate your children for the flu and at what age? Should I consider changing pediatricians or get the shot at CVS? (Do they administer flu shots to 2 year olds?)
And how many flu shots do we need this year? One for regular influenza the other for H1N1?!? Help!!!

The H1N1 virus is so contagious. My entire family got it with in a weeks time! It started with my 3 year old son. He ran a 103 fever. Then my husband, my 2 year old daughter, and finally I got it. Although it spreads like wild fire, the virus was not as bad as everyone said it would be. We only ran a fever for a day, and we were a little achy for about 3. Crazy thing was, we actually enjoyed the "family time" with eachother. Flu shot or not... the H1N1 is not as bad as the media portrays.

My 2 year olds doctor highly recommends the shot... but they are out! My Walgreens doesn't give it to anyone under 9 (they don't carry pediatric doses)I'm finding that getting the seasonal flu shot for her a real challenge, but I'll let you know if I do find some out here. My understanding is that there is the seasonal flu shot now, and later there will be 2 H1N1 shots to be given 3 weeks apart from each other. My daughter will be getting these as we are expecting a baby in January and she is in a playgroup with lots of little ones who have school age siblings (plus she grocery shops with me- which is scary enough as far as germs go!).

Your doctor may just be more cautious with vaccines and I think that is ok. Our pediatrician recommends the flu shot, but our chiropractor (who we use for general health too) does not agree with vaccinations unless you have a compromised immune system. They have so many toxins that, regardless of what drug manufacturers want you to believe, have been linked to autism and other long term problems. The smaller the child, the more likely they are to be affected, so maybe that is where your doctor is coming from.

I personally have vaccinated all my children, but we will NOT be getting anymore flu vaccinations and definitly not the H1N1 vaccines.

GL!

I'd further investigate why your pedi doesn't recommend the shot for 2 year-olds. Do they delay vaccinations in general? That may have something to do with it. Your son is eligible for the flu shot unless he's allergic to eggs. Then he can't get it because one of the ingredients in it has to do with egg. If this is his 1st flu vaccine he will need two shots for the seasonal flu (a booster). CVS Minute Clinics administer the flu shot to children but regular CVS or Walgreens stores only will with a prescription from your doctor. He will also need the H1N1 shot - different strain of flu- and now, they're stating that it's crucial for 2 & 3 year olds to get it. They're saying it will be available later in October, so in total he would need 3 shots.

My daughter is 15 months and got her first flu shot at 6 months and she just got one for this year. If he has never had the flu shot he will have to take it in two doses. The H1N1 I am not so sure about. There doesn't seem to be enough information about the shot yet. My daughter has her next checkup in December, and I am hoping there will be more information to help me make a decision by then.

I agree with Nina M. As a mom of 6 18-18 mos, I did not vaccinate my last 4 because of how many shots they give and the risks. Do your research. You will have to do your digging as there is more positive than negative info. The government makes money off of every vaccine given good or bad for us. Please look into it as much as you can. This is your childs health and believe me we are decieved more on this issue than most medical ones. I pray you find what you need. God Bless.
E.

I got the flu vaccine for myself and will probably do my almost 3 year old son's vaccine next week. Initially, I would say no because he's not in school or childcare, but we do go to the park, to the library's storytime, and gymnastics class so he's around children. I do not feel any peace about giving him the H1N1 vaccine because there's not enough information out. Like one poster said, it seems rushed. At the time I made this decision, they couldn't even tell us yet if it will be a one dose or two dose vaccine! (I read about it online, asked 2 pharmacists, my obgyn, and my doctor...noone could give me enough information). If they don't even know that, but plan on giving it to people, it seems like a total crapshoot and they're just injecting stuff into my son without a definate plan. No thanks! My personal thoughts are that we'll practice good hygeine and nutrition, get enough rest, and with the regular flu vaccine helping to keep that down, if anything looked wrong, he'd go to the doctor for immediate evaluation. That's just my personal opinion.
In addition to that, my grandma told me that they all took "swine flu" vaccines in the 70s, they were highly encouraged to do so "or else", and a lot of people had ill effects and a lot of people died from it. My grandpa, stationed in Egypt at the time, came home reading the news and asked "why in the world would you take that?" and she answered "we were told to by people who were supposed to know....you would have taken it to if you'd been here". It was removed from the market, after so many people took it. She also talked about the "cold vaccine" they used to give years ago, and how she had a cold that she couldn't shake all winter because of it. They removed that from the market as well. How many lawyer commercials do you see where they're doing class action lawsuits against yet another drug that has been approved by the FDA but later pulled off shelves for detrimental effects? I personally just don't want to be a guinea pig; if it were tried and true for years, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

i think you need to confirm with the ped's office whether they are not recommending the regular flu shot or the h1n1 (swine flu) shot. It is typical for a 2 year old to recieve the regular flu but might not recommend the h1n1. i'd check with your physician and request the reasoning behind either/both.

My doctor practically insists on the flu vaccine. He talked me into it when I thought I was against it. I know for sure that he got the flu mist at 2, but he may have also received it at 1 yo. I will not be getting the H1N1 vaccine. I feel like this has been rushed and like the other poster, I worry about unforeseen side affects and reactions. Instead we will be vigilant about hand washing and seek immediate care if symptoms arise. I am not sure about CVS, but Walgreens won't give flu shots to kids under the age of 9.

1 / 3