2 Year Old and 'Private Parts'

Hi Moms,
My two-year old daughter will use the potty/toilet occasionally as we're starting potty training. My problem is that she keeps touching her self, sometimes she says it itches but not always. She basically seems to just hold her hands there. Not sure if she's checking when she's done peeing. I don't want to create a complex or to make her feel like her body is 'dirty' but I tell her not to touch herself because I don't want her to get pee on her hands, or at least be gentle if she does have an itch. She keeps doing it, and she's quite the persistant one. And throws a tantrum as I'm trying to wash her hands after. It all makes going potty not fun which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do!
Then, I also don't even know what to call her "pee-pee area". I've read that we should use proper medical terms but don't know which to use. Even the nurses at the hospital during her delivery would just say bottom or maybe perineal area...I grew up speaking another language so those words don't fit.
Any tips/advice? Thank you in advance!

As for what language to use, I've always used "bottom" with my daughter because I think of it as a general term for that area. "Vagina" just doesn't seem appropriate to me since that isn't really the area used for toileting.

I wasn't quite sure what words to use either, to be honest. So, for a long time, I did use "bottom" but then I found out that particular word makes it confusing for my 3 girls.

I say "bottom" and they think "butt" because some people say "sit on your bottom"

I really think you should use Vulva. It teaches girls that there is more to their genitals than just the vaginal opening and it will lead to less confusion in the end.

Unfortunately, we're transitioning to the word vulva these last few years. Our youngest (3) should pick it up quickly, the others are 5 and 9 so it might be hard to get them to switch words.

My daughter became interested in her bottom too right around the time she was potty training. They are just trying to figure out their bodies and where the pee pee comes from. Just ignore it. Sounds like she is rebelling a bit because you are calling attention to it. Just wash her hands if she gets pee on them if not just let her be. She won't hurt herself.

My daughter did the same thing. I was told they are just exploring their bodies and that she would grow out of it. She did.

Also, we refer to it as her "girl bottom". Just another phrase to use....

We use the term vulva and also enforce that it's a private area and that it's ok to touch your own private areas in the bedroom or bathroom.

With the handwashing, give her the option of doing it herself. Consider taking her shopping for some fun hand soap.

I think it's totally normal for a two year old to be very curious about her genitals [I would call it her vulva, or private parts if you are not yet comfortable to have her learn the real words], but if she is touching a lot, or holding her hand there, she could actually create an infection. Who knows what is on her hands when she does that. So it could truly be itchy if an infection is starting. I would work more on having her wash her hands before going potty to encourage her "feminine hygiene"...explain that there could be dirt or germs on her hands and it's not good to get dirt in her private area so she either needs to wash her hands or she can't touch herself [probably better to say dirt because it is so hard to explain germs at this point and you don't want her to start worrying about the little creatures all over her body! Of course everyone has loads of germs all over but to a 2 year old it might be a scary idea]. When she is done if she puts up a big fight to wash them again, maybe you could try having her use baby wipes on her hands when she is done and follow with a foaming antibacterial lotion. I wouldn't worry to much about pee- but make sure her hands are very clean after pooping

I haven't read thru the responses you got so sorry if I'm repeating anyone elses. My answer has to do with the itchy part ofyour question. When my kids visit my parents, mom uses Tide or whatever else is on sale at Walmart. When she comes back home she always tells me "this is itchig me", I take her to the Dr, and she has come back home three times with bladder infections since potty trainrd wearing underwear that mom washed. I only use organic soap for our clothes at home. I told mom next time I'll be bringing laundry soap for her to use. She doesn't like it, but my daughters bladder infections aren't worth it.

Just call them private parts and she will learn. as far as touching, i think it is normal for this age...they are curious about body funtions (wait until they love to talk about pee and pooping all the time)...as far as hand washing...i have a little one that hated to wash her hands too...i tried all the fun hand pumps and still didnt work...what finally worked was the small (travel size) antibacterial pump from bath and body works..she can squirt it herself and i know she is at least getting a little clean. or i will also wash my hands first and pretend to help her rinse her hands...that way some of the soap i used will get on her hands too.

1 / 3