2 Week Old with Horrid Gas Pains

Hi there, I am breastfeeding my 2 week old son. He seemed to be a wonderful nurser, and took to the breast immediately. the past 4 days or so he has screamed most of his awake hours away and is so so stiff, the cry is such a painful cry, it breaks my heart. I am very careful about my diet and everything, I have no idea what is causing so much pain for him but I was hoping that maybe some of you moms have had the same issue and could offer some advice, thanks in advance.

You can try to give him Mylicon Gas Drops or even the generic brand works too. I breastfed my daughter for 4 months and even when i was careful with my diet she still got gas.So the mylicon gas drops worked well, and they are very safe to use multiple times a day.

gripe water is an age old herbal remedy, I used it on my newborn (breastfed) and it relieved pain very quickly. I got it at Whole Foods. Good luck!

I remember that cry and I know how helpless you feel. Milicon as mentioned does work wonders and there isn't anything harmful in it. It just breaks up the gas bubbles.
For me it was orange juice and acidic fruits. You may also want to stay away from the broccoli family.
When my daughter had gas I would lay her on her left side in my lap and massage circles on her belly and back. It helps to move things along a little quicker.
This will pass. Good luck

As suggested, eliminate dairy (esecially milk) from your diet for a week and see if it gets better. Personally I think the mylicon gas drops don't work.

K.,
This sounds very similar to my son and it ended up being caused by the dairy in my diet. After I stopped eating anything with dairy in it and his system healed he was much happier (it took about 2.5 weeks to heal). Have you talked to your doctor about this? Good luck!

It may be worth a call to your pediatrician. I had a similar issue when my son was an infant (now 2.5 yrs)& was nursing him; it turned out to be reflux. Once my son was put on Zantac he was a new baby. You might also want to try mylicon gas drops and bringing his knees up to his chest to help relieve gas (there are some other helpful yoga poses for gas in "itsy bitsy yoga" book/dvd). I hope this helps, its very frustrating & heart breaking watching your little one in discomfort, Good luck!

This will pass. Good luck

My twin sons had horrible gas pain, with one much worse than the other. I learned that whatever they don't burp goes through the system and turns into farts, and of course, they swallow air when they scream, so there's more gas to cause problems. So we soothed them and burped them as much as humanly possible -- Mylicon/Gas Relief helps make bigger burps so more gas gets out the "easy" way.

We also had some constipation problems (possibly from the Mylicon?), so our pediatrician told us to give them prune juice (1-2 oz per day mixed 50/50 with water) whenever they hadn't had a BM for over 4 days. I don't remember how old they were by the time we tried this, maybe 2 months, so yours might be too young? I'd check with your pedi before trying this.

FYI, we made ourselves crazy trying to figure out what was causing the problem: Many said it was something I was eating, but even with hypoallergenic formula and no breastmilk (I pumped to keep my supply up) the problem persisted... so my eating obviously was *not* the issue! We tried Zantac, which helped a little, and then Prilosec, which helped a little more (but still not enough). We also tried GripeWater and Chamomile tea, neither of which did any good for us. In hindsight, it wasn't colic because it lasted way beyond 4 months, which is when "colic" is supposed to get magically better. In our case, I suspect they just needed to grow/develop their GI tract. It was about 8 months when things really turned around for us.

I hope in your case that it's something straightforward that you can fix, but for us, time seems to have been the only cure. "This too shall pass" was my mantra. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Try cutting Dairy out of your diet. My son is allergic & he had bad gas & then eventually got a rash. It could be a number of things , My Dr. had me cut out wheat, dairy,gluten, eggs, nuts, & slow ly add back stuff. When we added the dairy I started again. Try to live on rice for a couple of days & see if it goes away.

Try Gripe Water, a more natural remedy you can administer by dropper. We started with Mylicon which worked, but it bound our daughter up for 5 days when she was normally a good pooper. :) We switched to Gripe Water and didn't have the intestinal side effects. After pumping, we also use Dr Brown's bottles to feed which help w/extra bubbles and reducing gas.

1 / 3