2 Week Old and Sleep Issues

Hello! My 2 week old DS prefers to sleep in his bouncy seat at night rather than his bassient. He also sleeps better during the day in his car seat than his crib or Pack N Play. Are we starting a bad habit by letting him do this or is he too young to develop bad habits? Should we let him sleep where he wants or make him sleep on his back in the crib? On his back he will sleep for about 10 minutes and then wake up and cry. A nurse at his clinic told me that we should do the Ferber method and let him cry for 10-15 minutes before checking on him, etc. He seems too young for that. At this age I thought you were supposed to hold them as much as possible because you cannot spoil a baby. Help!

We have a 2.5 year old DS who also liked to sleep anywhere but his crib/bassinet but he was sleeping flat on his back all night long by age 10 weeks. I am confused!

All 3 of my boys slept in the bouncy seat until they were at least a month old, if not 2. At 2 weeks I wouldn't worry about it.

At 2 weeks I think he is a little young for the ferber method. My son slept in various places for the first 4 weeks, then I started putting him in the crib and started him on a bed time routine and it worked really well. I started using the Ferber method around 4 months and that worked really well also.

Do anything necessary to help your son sleep in the first 8 weeks. At week 8, start a routine but still do whatever is necessary.

You cannot do Ferber or any other CIO until the child is at least 5 months old. They are not physically capable of soothing themselves. Between 12-16 weeks, they can start to learn how to sooth themselves.

Every kid is different. My daughter was a terrible sleeper, my son much better. I've done nothing different. Each kid has different needs.

I'm a big proponent of CIO, but not at 2.5 weeks. That's just too young.

Our son also slept better in his car seat. We just let him sleep where he was most comfortable when he was an infant. For a while, he slept in his car seat on the floor in his room at night. The doctor didn't think this would cause any harm. We only did that for about a month. Once he was a little older (two or three months), we really forced the "use the crib" issue and did CIO at 11 weeks. Until then, we were just grateful for any stretch of sleep. He would only nap in 5-10 minute increments during the day no matter where he slept, so we had to do anything to get him to sleep at night. At seven, now he's a fantastic sleeper (and in a bed!), so the car seat time didn't affect anything.

He needs to weigh at least 12 pounds before starting the Ferber method, (this comes from my pediatrician, not a book), and if there are any reflux or colic issues, that puts a monkey wrench in plans for sleeping well through the night. Yes, it's good to hold your baby and you can't really spoil him this early. But you don't want to set yourself up for bad habits for later, so it's good to think about it now. If you hold your baby so he can sleep, he will not learn how to sleep without you holding him - bad, bad idea.

I tried very hard to keep my younger son on his back or side because I was worried about SIDS, but he just could not settle this way. My ped told me to go ahead and let him sleep on his stomach - babies have been sleeping that way for centuries. So I did it, and finally my son got some decent sleep. The point is, try different positions - side or stomach, before you give up and let him sleep in his car seat. Babies usually can't stay on their sides unless you roll a blanket up and wedge them like that, by the way.

All babies are different, and you can't expect them to react the same to different stimuli - they all have different personalities. This is just the beginning of showing you how much different he will be from his brother! LOL!

All my best,

i slept sitting up holding my son from birth to 4 weeks. i was exhausted but he didnt like laying in down either. eventually i found that he slept well if he slept next to me in bed. all through month 2 i would keep trying the bassinet and crib he would get in a few hours by himself and then the rest with me in my bed. by month 3 he was in his own crib in my room and suddenly decided he wanted his own space so he moved to his room. 3- 7 months he was on his own in his room he still woke at least 4-5 times to eat. and around 7 months decided to sleep straight through. once in awhile he would wake up and i would still go in and snuggle him quickly before laying him back down to go to sleep. I was a mom that held her child constantly. he wouldn't nap in his crib until about 5 months so i held him for all of his naps. some say that is wrong and "teaching him bad habits" but my son has slept on his own since 7 months and if i do have to get up with him it is only for a quick hug and he is back to bed. when he does wake up at night which is nearly every night he doesn't need me anymore i can hear him talk and laugh until he goes back to sleep. so if you want to hold your baby do it!

It is a really bad habit to have but at this age it really doesn't matter. Are you wraping him up tight before laying him down that helps also. There is no way you can spoil a baby so do what you think he needs, you would know better than anyone. Just remember that every child is different. It might take him a shorter or longer time to sleep all night. It will happen.

Yes he is waaaayyy too young for Ferber method!! At 2 weeks old let him sleep when and wherever he will sleep - your instincts are right, he is too young to develop "bad sleep habits". Don't sweat it - he'll get used to sleeping "flat" it takes all babies awhile to get used to this. By the way, I'm one of those "bad" moms who let their babies sleep on their tummies by the time they were several weeks old. If they can pick their head up while laying on their tummy and you don't put them face down in some big fluffy blanket, they will be fine and sleep soooo much better on their tummies. But, you do what you feel is safe.
Congrats on the new baby and God bless!

At 2 weeks he can sleep where ever. I started a modified CIO with my boys at 2 months. I would put them to bed at the same time each night, awake, and leave. If they started to cry I would set a timer for 5 minutes (15 is way to long if you ask me). After 5 I would go in and comfort without picking them up or feeding. I would just rub their back or tummy and sing or talk softly until they were calm. Once calm I would leave again, and if they started to cry I put another 5 on the timer. I never had to go in more than once. This method works well at night too. If my boys woke at night I would wait 5 minutes before going in, I almost never had to go in, they always self soothed before the 5 minutes was up. Because of them learning this early it came natural to them, and they were sleeping through the night(and so was I) at 2 months old.

1 / 3