2 Month with Green Poop???

So I have a 2 month old who is strictly breastfed and recently her poop has changed from the mustardy color to olive green! It's still the same consistency, just a different color. At her 2 month check up the doctor blamed the color change on my recent eating of spinach pizza but that was 4 days ago and I only had 2 slices. I'm wondering if maybe it's a vitamin deficiency of some kind and the doctor just looked it over since I had said I ate spinach pizza. Anybody experience this?

Thank you so much for all of your input! After almost a week it's going back to normal. Not sure exactly what the main cause was but we're back to normal. Thanks again. :D

My son had the same condition when he was that age. I asked the doctor and he didn't seem at all concerned. It went away after a few days after whatever it was moved through his system.

It sounds like you may want to address the fact that your doctor dismisses your concerns and doesn't go beyond his conclusion, even though you don't think that he is hitting the nail on the head. I don't know what is making your baby's poop green, but if I were you, I would re-establish what it is that I expect from my doctor, and hold him to it. YOU are the patient. He is most likely moving on to the next appointment of his day. It's important to get answers when it comes to your child's process, whatever that may be. Stand by your concern, and go with your gut! :) You're a great mom!

Green poop just means the baby is getting more foremilk than hindmilk. This occurs when the baby has been drinking a lot for thirst or is switched to the other breast before he/she gets the cream. I recommend going to the breastfeeding support group at the Pump Station - it has made me much more confident and laid back re:breastfeeding.

Totally normal. The only colors to look out for are : black, white, & red.

Ok, so I see that you are breastfeeding. The green poop is fore milk poo and the yellow poop is hind milk poo. So, just let her nurse longer at each boob so that she gets the higher fat hind milk and her poo will go back to yellow. All totally normal! :-)R.
Mom to 4, midwife and lactation specialist

You must be very concerned about the change in color of your baby's poop. I find it very interesting that your baby's pediatrician attributed this to eating 2 slices of spinach pizza. Sometimes color changes of stools can be due to something a mom has eaten but a mother would have had to eat a very large quantity of the particular food. Green stools are more commonly caused by a baby getting too much of the watery 'foremilk' and not enough of the creamy 'hindmilk'. Try to feed your baby as long as possible on one breast per feeding. When you baby comes off, burp and try feeding longer on same breast. If this does not do the trick, M., I can help you via SKYPE. Please visit my website at: VirtualBreastfeedingHelp.com

Take care,
L., IBCLC

I know cantalope turns my son's green! But I wouldn't worry about it as long as your child is pooping!

Not sure what green poop means but I was just at the lactation consultant and she explained to a mom that the only time that they worry about poop is if it is white or has blood in it. Otherwise all yellows, greens, browns and variations in between are okay! :) My 2 week old's poop is greenish sometimes and yellowish sometimes. Hope this helps! :)

1 / 3