2 Month Old with Terrible Gas Pains

My two month old that starting having terrible gas pains last week. He is on formula and breastmilk - both thru a bottle. He was born 5 weeks early and in the NICU for 2 1/2weeks and didn't do too well with the breastfeeding. Wanting him to get off to a good start, I decided to bottle feed him breastmilk for as long as I could. I am slowing weening him off breastmilk as I plan to go back to work full time July 1. He basically grunts and growns all day and has done this since we brought him home. As of last week, he has been turning bright red, kicking his legs uncontrollably and crying like he is in severe pain. His little tummy is so tight either by flexing his muscles or from the gas. I need suggestions - it is killing me to see him in such pain.

My son had the same problem, we started by changing his formula to lactose free. You can also get some homeopathic pills that dissolve in babies mouth to relieve gas, I can't remember the name. Lastly, I would gently pump his legs in a bicycle motion and that seemed to help. Good Luck.....my son outgrew it.

Simethicone drops really help. The experience my babies have had with them is that the dose listed on the bottle isn't always enough, my pediatrician said that it often takes 2-4 dropperfuls to make a difference. They are sold near the teething tablets in the baby section.

How are his bowel movements? Are they liquidy or thick and dry? How often does he have them? Have you tried the gas drops offerred for infants?

How long after he's eaten does it happen or is it all the time? Does he have anything like cereal? How is he sleeping?

Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

http://www.missbrenda.com

Hi, J.! It's OK, we've been there too. :-)

First off: MYLICON. No one told us until we'd gone through several weeks of DD being colicky, and it works wonders. Since your baby is preemie you may want to check w/ the pediatriican first but my DD never had any adverse reaction.

Second, what have you changed in your diet recently? Anything? I had to give up dairy because the proteins were going through the breastmilk and my girl was lactose intolerant. Was a huge help once we got it out of her system.

Third, have you tried any other formulas? We tried three or four before settling on one that seemed to cause her the least distress. Buy small cans and experiment!

Hope this helps!

My daughter had the same problem. I tried all of the over the counter gas drops, and found that the Equate brand(Wal-Mart) gas drops work as good as all the others, and a lot cheaper. It was like it worked almost instantly. She would be screaming in pain, and I would give her these drops, and she would quit crying. Just give them like it says on the bottle. I hope it works as good for you as it did for me. also, a warm towel or compress on your babies tummy helps too. Not too hot though.

Mylicon helped my children so much. The Vitamin Shoppe has other brands. Also, sometimes, my children would take more than directed before they had relief which my pediatrician approved. Also, the gas could be coming from the mixture of formula and breast milk. Weaning is hard sometimes. I never had any luck with powder formula; they never got full.

Sorry to hear about your baby. If you have not already done so you may want to contact the baby's doctor and explain the situation.

If that doctor does not do anything for the child you may want to consider getting a second opinion.

He may be lactose intolerent and it forms gases in his stomach so ask the doctor what can be done for your baby.

Keeping your baby in my prayers.

BOY, DO I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I HAVE A 3 MO. OLD LITTLE BOY WHO WAS BORN 3 WEEKS EARLY. WE HAD HIM ON ENFAMIL LIPIL AND DID FINE WITH IT FOR AWHILE BUT, LIKE YOU, HE CRIED ALL DAY AND GOT TO WHERE FEEDING HIM WAS TERRIBLE. HE ARCHED HIS BACK AND CRIED. THE DOCTOR TOLD US HE HAD ACID REFLUX. WE SWITCHED HIS FORMULA TO ENFAMIL GENTLEASE AND THAT HAS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY. HE STARTED SMILING MORE AND NOW WE CAN FEED HIM IN 30 MINUTES VERSUS AN HOUR. JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

I had several issues when I was born. I was a small baby and apparently my insides aren't built the way they are supposed to be. So I had terrible problems with gas. My mother swears by a pinch of baking soda in water. She would give this to me after eating as a digestive aid.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your little one. I feel his pain!

*hugs*

J., congratulations on your baby boy. It is so hard to see our little ones in pain. My daughter who is now 20 months old was having the same problem of gas. I did not have enough milk as at 3 weeks, she was only on formula. She used to cry after feeding and scrunch up her legs. I changed her formula from enfamil to Nestle good start and she had no problems. I would change your sons formula to another brand. Also make sure you are not drinking gassy things like sodas. Also there is a thing called gripe water and I have seen it at krogers in the baby aisle. It is so good for gassy babies. I could not live without it. It is all natural and works better than other gassy drops.

Hope that helps.
R.

1 / 3