2 Month Old Not Gaining Weight

I have 4 kids. My oldest 3 did very well. Now I have a newborn. He is 2 months. At birth he was 8 lbs 11 oz. We left the hospital & he was 8 lbs 8 oz. Well I took him in for his 1 month check up & he was only 8 lbs 12 oz. The doc. requested we bring him back the next week & at that visit he was 8lbs 8 oz, then it was another week weight check& had requested blood work & urine sample done (all came back fine) @ that appt. he was 8 lbs 7 oz. So they switched his formula from Soy to Nutramigen. And another week weight check. Ok at that visit he was 8 lbs 15 oz. So the doc. said when he hits 12 lbs we can take him off this formula & put him back on Soy formula. & see the doc in 2 weeks for his 2 month visit. so we did and he still weighed 8 lbs 15 oz. So the doc. was going to call some specialists and the call me in 2 days as he says he isnt thriving. I still haven't heard from the doctor. My soon is thriving except for weight. Some days he look so poorly & others he looks so good. He is eating 6 oz every 3 hours and sleeps through the night. He got a cold when we went to Pa & with the formuls he is on he was choking & so I added some rice cereal to his formula & in hopes he would gain weight (and thay hasnt helped either) Has anyone else went through this? I am so worried.

Ok We are going to see a specialist at childrens hospital in DC on the 26th. He had a weight check up the other day and is now 9lbs .05 oz. So it a plus. Once we see the specialist, I hope we can find out.

Hi I have the same problem when my son was born he was 7lb 12oz. and now he is 13mon. and he only ways 21lb 4oz but the doctor said he is well proprotional. his wight goes up and down. his father is skiny.

I hope your son doesn't have any underlying medical problems, and if he doesn't, then baby massages might help. It's been clinically shown to help weight gain in preemies, and there is no reason to think it won't help other babies. And my son loves it, it's part of our bedtime routine.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

I am a new mom of a 7month old baby girl and a Registered Nurse. She had GERD at 2 mos old ,and was not gaining weight, we did add 1 tsp. of cereal per ounce of fromula to thicken the feed( per our DR.) We switched her formula from Alimentum (which is Similac's version of neutramagen) to Neocate, first we had brought her to a GI doctor, he put her on Zantac,& switched her to Neocate. Neocate is not perscription, but does need to be suggested by a DR.and ordered thru a pharmacy, however ,insurance does not cover it and it is very expensive , about$40.00 per can. BUT she was a new baby and started gaing weight with these changes in her diet. My suggestion is that you see a Pediatric GI specialist as soon as possible.

I know that a baby not gaining weight is a lot to deal with. Look at it from this side, the previous test results all came back fine....TAKE A DEEP BREATH.
My brother, who is 17 months, just reached the 20lbs mark. The little guy eats like a horse but will not seem to put on weight. But his doctor says, he is perfectly proportional.
So, just because he is not gaining weight does not mean there is something serious with him, perhaps he's just going to be a little guy.

I agree with Melanie, don't stop buggin the doc. You are his mom and you know what he needs (plus the motherly instinct is there). At the same time, don't worry too much. My daughter has been a picky eater from day one. She has been in the 25% or less from birth and eats less then a bird. However, the doc says she is fine and she continues to grow. I know it is scary to watch them not eat or not gain but if he is eating and drinking it may just be a matter of time. Keep asking the doc and hopefully all will work out! Hope that helps!

T. :)

B. i thought first 1-2 months babies don't actually gain weight but first two weeks they lose some and then slowly start gaining. i just looked at my girls growth chart and i see they went from 5 lbs 6.5 oz at birth to 4 lbs 5 oz two weeks check up, and then first month check up they were back to their original birth weight/.
so i wouldn't worry to much. is he growing in length?
vlora

my bestfriends son did that and he was just little for ever then at about 6 months he just started to gain alot all at once His mom was so scared she had him looked at by a doctor specializing in smaller people, Her sister is a dawrf so she thought her son might be but he is now 12 months and in size 2t. the doctors said he was just a slow learner but once he caught on he is not stoping. good luck and i hope every thing goes well

B.,
i know how frustrated you must be feeling right now. i have a 22 month old son who is just now weighing in at a little over 21 pounds. we have triend everything, i really mean everything!!! my son has a heart murmur and burns a ton of calories just sleeping, let alone running around like toddlers do. he is allergic to milk and the milk protein. we have been fighting this weight issue since we brought him home from the hospital. i felt like such a failure when they diagnosed him with failure to thrive. i was trying everything i could think of but still felt like i was doing something wrong. soy worked for awhile (meaning he at least kept it down)
we finally put him on alimentum, its made by similac. he has kept all his weight on since we started it and has gained weight too. the formula is very expensive (it's almost double the price of regular formula, but it was our only solution)
you can see if your pediatrician has some samples or some coupon, (they get loads of this kind of stuff given to them by these formula companies). i think you can even sign up on similac.com and they will give you coupons too. my son was too old for the program, but your isn't. i hope this helps. good luck to you.
kris

1 / 3