2-Year Old Pooping Issues

Hi Ladies,

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile but keep telling myself I will change my child's diet, give him less milk, actually put to use Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook, etc. etc. but I think I'm at the point I need to get a little feedback.

My 2-year old loves milk and can drink a lot of it. Problem is he doesn't like to eat anything and would prefer to drink milk all day with the occasional water (with a little apple and prune juice to help with the problem). After a bout with the stomach flu 8 months ago, he's had issues with going poop. He has even had fissures since he's kept it in so long that when it did come out it scraped the sides and created little sores. Now he associates pooping as a painful experience he'd rather not do. So he will hold it in as long as possible which makes the problem even worse.

I am thinking I need to give him more apple/prune juice and fiber in whatever way possible in addition to improving his diet but does anyone think I should see a specialist or doctor for this problem?

I always envisioned my children being the healthiest eaters before having one that loves snacks, popsicles and milk!

I second the CALM works wonders. If you give them enough they can't hold the poop in. Worked well for us and now the kiddo is back to normal and doesn't need it anymore.

Hi there-

It's funny how are kids teach us to be really humble moms! I think you are on the right track with what you need to do, but that takes time and effort!

Please deal with the poop issue right now before it becomes impaction and a serious witholding issue. I would see his pediatrician to see if he's already backed-up in his colon.

Miralax is a laxative that passes through the body undigested- similar to bran fiber. I found it at walgreens as a powder. You could add 1/2 a pack to his milk to help soften his poops and alleviate the pain. It's tasteless, odorless, and benign (from a biochemical point of view).

My son who is now five had the same problem when he was two. At that time, I gave in to him and let him drink milk. He was a very picky eater. Basically, he had dairy and gluten during that period of his life. Not many veggies and not many fruits. Anyway, his health deteriorated and almost a year ago, I knew we needed to improve his diet. We took him off of gluten and we switched his dairy intake from pastuerized cow milk to goat milk. Both gluten and casein can fill the opiate receptors in the brain. The kids get a "high" from it and can be very picky eaters. Anyway, his behavior and health have improved since we made those changes to his diet. Now, he eats a lot more fruits and veggies and we have introduced raw milk to him. Sometimes, he eats pastuerized cheese or yogurt.

Here is a link that may help explain what happens in the brain. http://gfcfdiet.com/TheBigFAQ'S.htm. And here is a quote from that webpage "In its peptide form, casein has opiate properties similar to morphine, and may plug into the same opiate receptor sites in the brain. "

Lastly, when I told my son we were changing his diet and removing the bread, cereal, etc. and no more chocolate milk, etc., he had a major meltdown. If you go this route, you should expect it also. We just told him, you can eat what we give you or not eat. That's your choice. Kids will not starve themselves. They will eat what you give them eventually. It make take a few missed meals, but eventually they will eat.

Lastly, my son is on probiotics as are my other kids. It definitely helps the digestion, so I would second that also.

I would tyr osme raisins, dried fruit and fresh fruit for snacks and maybe a sweeter high fiber ceral he can have dry as snacks. Have you talked to the Pediatrician for advice, if not I would. Good luck

My grandson had the exact same problem. Had a "bad experience" going once and decided he wasn't going to go anymore! We took him to many doctors before we found one who had a plan of action. the first step was to give him an enema (SP?) to clean everything out. the doctor actually suggested doing it twice, which we did. After that, we gave him 1/8 of a cup of mineral oil twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. mineral oil is completely natural with absolutely no taste. What that does it it coats anything in the bowel making it soft so he comes out very easily. In fact, your son won't be able to hold it in. 1/8 of a cup is a lot, you could start with less. The doc suggested that much because my grandson had had the problem for a LONG time and there was a lot up there that needed to be softened and come out. Anyway, do that for about two weeks and then cut back a little at a time on the mineral oil. Also, get your son a foot stool so that when he sits on the toilet he has something to put his feet on. That will help with trying to get the poop out. You will probably find "skid marks" in his underwear. he can't help that; with the oil, it will just happen. Again, the oil has no taste but it is a weird feeling in your mouth. I would put it in a cup of juice. It will separate with the oil on top so if he just drinks it all down real fast, it shouldn't be a problem. the last part is after you get him fairly regular, start him on Activia to help keep him that way. If you follow this, your son will feel relief and will get on track.

I have been dealing with this issue with my daughter for 20 years (shes dev. disabled) This is what we found to work over years of trying everything under the sun WITH THE DOCTOR'S SUGGESTIONS 1. Kondrumel - its mineral oil that is in an easily taken and digested form. Comes in a white bottle with a blue label. It "greases" up the colon and makes it easier to pass the bm but it doesn't have to be put in manually like a suppository so no fear involved. 2. Remove all milk products and replace with soy. Meghan, my daughter, will only drink soy milk now. Cow milk products are very binding for people with sensitive bowels. 3. Lots of clear liquids. 4. Benefiber in EVERYTHING. You can put it into his food/juice/etc. and it dissolves completely. He won't even know it's there. 5. When it is really bad (not every day) you can try Senecot. We used it on Meghan when she actually went for over a week and a half without a BM. It is all natural and works overnight and doesn't have a lot of chemicals in it. One other natural laxative is (don't laugh) sauerkraut liquid. Lots of people won't touch it but I LOVE sauerkraut so it was always a no brainer for me and it works remarkably well.

Start giving him some probiotics. It may not solve the issue, but can definitely help.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has had the same problem her entire life (including the fissures.) We have spoken to our pediatrician about it numerous times. He does not seem concerned. We did ask and get permission to put some benefiber in her drinks. She still has issues (her poop is still hard and she still bleeds from the fissures,) but she does go. We are considering a specialist because we hate to have her bleed every time she poops forever? But, I would suggest trying the benefiber and talking to your pediatrician the next time you are there. Good luck and God Bless!

Constipation is a sign of a deficiency of Magnesium. The easiest way to increase the consumption of Mag is to supplement it. I buy Kid Calm and follow the directions on the label. Slowly increase until the stool is comfortably loose. A soft stool will allow the skin to heal as well.
Easy fix. :)

My children have had the same problem their doctor had me start giving them miralax in a drink (usually juice or water). I only give it to them either everyother day or every few days. They know they are taking it and they call it their medicine water or medicine juice depending on what they have it in. They know that it is to help them so that pooping does not hurt.

1 / 3