2-Year Old Nose Bleed?

Hi there,

It's 4:00 am and I just found that my 27 month old has had a nose bleed while she was sleeping. Very alarming to find a big spot of dried blood on the sheets and on her face! She seems fine, went right back to sleep (she's still breastfeeding and wokeup for that). We are visiting the East Coast and it is REALLY dry here. Where we live it is much more humid. We've all been suffering from hard, crusty boogies in our noses (sorry, not sure what the medical term is for that!). My husband said he had nosebleeds all the time when he was a kid and not to worry. I'm going to find a pediatrician tomorrow, but wanted to know if any of your little ones have had this? I'm really freaked out and worried!

Thanks,

H.

p.s. Otherwise she's healthy and hasn't hit her head or anything. She has had ear infections but this is coming from her nose.

This happened to my daughter last year, just once, on a cold dry night. I found her in the morning with blood on her sheets and dried blood all around her mouth (she was on her back so it went down her throat and out her mouth, yuck!). It really freaked me out too! But she was fine. The pediatrician said it was a nose bleed and there was no harm done--my daughter didn't have any ill effects at all, and it's never happened again. I did place a humidifier in her room at night for a few nights afterwards. So, basically, it's frightening, but really not a cause for concern!

I don't really have any advice, but wanted to tell you, I have three boys. The youngest is 2.5, and he is the only one who has at least three times in his life woken up with nose bleeds. Well, we don't even know about it till the next morning, which is very scary to walk into his room in the morning and see his face and pillow covered with blood. My husband say's he got nose bleeds while he slept as a kid too. I personally have never had a nose bleed, so it's weird, but I guess normal. My husband is okay, so I bet the kids will be too. :-)

W. Sanders

Hi H. - my son (now 2 years and 8 months) used to have nose bleed all the time. Espeically at night. I got a cold mist humidifier and things are MUCH better (he rarely has bloody nose now). I must say that I do notice bloody nose more frequently in the winter but he did get it all year round. I did mention this to the pediatrician and he is not alarmed - suggested the humidifier as well.
good luck!

Dear H.,
It's pretty normal for little kids to get nose bleeds but the first time or two it can be really scary.
My daughter maybe had two bloody noses in her life, while my son gets them frequently and 99% of the time, it's while he's sleeping. In fact, he just had one night before last.
It can be caused by drier air or by picking or scratching the inside of their nose...or bumping it.
I wouldn't worry too much about it since so far it's just been a one time thing. Try to keep the inside of her nose moistened.

Best wishes and enjoy your trip.

Welcome to the world of bloody noses! My son got his very first one the week of his second birthday. And it also scared us when he woke up with dried blood on his face and in his bed! Bloody noses run on my husband's side of the famiy. We use a humidifier in his bedroom when it's hot or when the air gets really dry. We also both have a small bag of Kleenex, Vaseline and Q-tips in our diaper bags. Just last week he got 3 in one day. I hate them, but we're now used to them. When he gets them we make a b-line to the bath tub and let him stand in there while pinching his nose. (That way we don't get blood all over the furniture or the rugs.) When it has stopped, he take a Q-tip with Vaseline and rub the inside of his nose. He now knows the routine. You can also rub the Q-tip and Vaseline in his nose when it's hot or when the air is dry. It helps. We talked to his doctor about it, but there isn't anything that they can do. Unfortunately, my husband's sister didn't 'outgrow' bloody noses until she was in college! Good luck.

Hi H.,

The first time, or two, our babies have a nose bleed, it can be very scary. But really, your daughter will be just fine.

My son had them quite often during his sleep, and mostly when we traveled. At 13, he just had one the other day....out of the blue.....I think it's the waether.

Don't worry, she'll be ok, her nasal cavities are just trying to adjust to traveling :O) Have her drink LOTS AND LOTS of water......and the saline drops can help, although it will be difficult to get them in a 27month old :o)

I hope that eases your mind during this holiday season!

Merry Christmas!

~N. :o)

W. Sanders

Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear H.,
I hope that you have talked to a Pedi doctor by now and feel more confident.
I know that my daughter would have horrible nose bleeds and the doctor told me that it was becasue in the winter the skin thins and the blood vessals are closer to the surface. When a child moves their head at night it is the bumping thatmakes it bleed. He used Silver Nitrate i the nose and she was fine for several months. I learned with my 5 children and the many foster children we raised, that parenthood has many more twists and turns and moments of excitement than any theme park ride you can go on at the park. With every up and great time there are as many downs and looking for the exit signs. I alwasy figured it took a coward to run from a good fight so I made it through the tough moments by the nail marks on the wall and the grooves I wore in the hardwood floors from praying!
I wish you peace and your child comfort. Nana Glenda

I also had nose bleeds growing up. Something about real sensitivity to dry air. What I do for me and my family is real simple. Add a humidifier to her bedroom which wil balance out the dry air from the heater and also do a nasal rinse or mist to lubricate the nasal passages. They have these for toddlers as well. Good luck!

I went to college in New Hampshire, where it is extremely cold and dry during the winter, and I had nosebleeds during the winter there. I noticed lots of other people did too. I don't think human noses were meant for that kind of weather! =)

As the other mom said, a humidifier may help, as will drinking lots of water (not something we usually think about when it's freezing outside).

1 / 3